11.22.63 by Stephen King

Info:Hodder Paperback (2012), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:time travel

11/22/63 by Stephen King

It by Stephen King (watertiger, sturlington)
    watertiger: The characters from IT are referenced in 11/22/63
    sturlington: A section of 11/22/63 is set in Derry and features characters from It.
    The Dead Zone by Stephen King (StarryNightElf)
    Time and Again by Jack Finney (zwelbast, bookworm12)
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (SJaneDoe, dltj)
    dltj: Shares a similar plot line that covers part of the same time period, and "Replay" even includes a story fragment about November 22, 1963.
    Somewhere In Time by Richard Matheson (stevetempo)
    stevetempo: No change in history here...but a cross time romance is featured...if you saw and enjoyed the movie...read the book.
    American Tabloid by James Ellroy (glwebb)
    glwebb: If you liked 11/22/63 then American Tabloid should be right up your street. A very snappy, complicated, twisted look at the Kennedy Presidency and assassination. Ellroy dishes up a counterfactual history that seems almost too real to be anything other than the secret truth.… (more)
    American Gods - The Tenth Anniversary Edition by Neil Gaiman (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both novels are epic. They both have elements of time travel and a sense that minor actions can lead to major unintended consequences.
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (mene)
    mene: Both books are about time travel through a kind of portal. In both books, the time traveller finds love on the other side, but the effects of the time travel and the way it works are different. In King's book, the time traveller also actively tries to change history, while in Gabaldon's book, the time traveller uses her knowledge of future events a lot less actively.… (more)

English (364)  Dutch (8)  French (4)  German (3)  Catalan (3)  Spanish (2)  Bulgarian (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (388)
I listened to this one as an Audible book. I would have liked the story to move along more quickly than it did. I am not one who enjoys great detail. However, the characters were fleshed out and the Kennedy assassination and its alternative in time travel were very detailed and interesting. I wanted to get to the end to see what transpired, I just wish it'd been sooner to get there. Stephen King is not for me. ( )
  bereanna | Mar 11, 2015 |
Probably everyone knows about the Kennedy assassination in 1963. It is very likely that it was Lee Harvey Oswald who fired the shots at the first Catholic American president in Dallas, Texas. In 11.22.63 Stephen King sets out to imagine a world in which the assassination can be prevented by traveling back in time and stopping Lee Harvey Oswald. This is exactly what protagonist Jake Epping, an English teacher from Maine, tries to do in the novel. He leaves 2011 behind and travels back in time to the America of 1958. Five years before the fateful day of 11/22/63 Jake Epping starts to enjoy his life in the past and falls in love with a librarian. As the day of the assassination is slowly approaching, the obstacles to the protagonist's mission start becoming bigger and bigger. It seems like the past does not want to be changed.

As I like Stephen King's writing, this is of course something that I also enjoyed in this novel. Generally the plot was very clear right from the beginning so the interesting thing was how King enriched the plot with small events, the characters and their development. At times he manages to enthrall the reader but then again there are also passages that you just read to get on with the novel. The characters were actually quite round and provided much room for good twists and turns.

A very important issue in this novel is obviously time-traveling, the butterfly effect and bringing together separate strings of time. In this respect I had expected a little more depth. King rather focuses on what the world is like and what happens than spending time ruminating about typical questions about time-traveling: What if I meet myself because I will only be born in a couple of years? What if I change the world in a way that I will never be born? Should I go back to the present then? Will I die when I go back? So if you expect answers to questions of this kind, you will probably be disappointed in the book. It is more about showing what life is like in the two different 'worlds' and (re-)creating these worlds with as much detail as possible.

I liked 11.22.63 quite a bit, it was sometimes a little bit too long-winded. For that reason, I'll only give the book 3.5 stars. ( )
  OscarWilde87 | Mar 6, 2015 |
The sentence above is this novel in a nutshell, the rest is just filler, to make it an engaging story, to drag us in and make us stay till the end to see what does happen: does Jake prevents the assassination of JFK? And if he does, what will happen to the present? Along the way he saves a couple of other people. And some other people die, Jake makes some vital errors and learns there are consequences to changing history. I’m not saying anymore. SPOILERS

This is only the third Stephen King novel I’ve read. I’m not really into supernatural horror. I read CUJO, which scared the living daylights out of me and changed my view of St. Bernards forever; I recently read The Shining, which didn’t scare me much; and this book.

On the surface this is a time travel book, but underneath it is much more, the book is like an onion, you have to keep the peeling the layers to find out what’s at the center of it, and sometimes you don’t want to peel because you know it will make you cry, but you can’t stop. There are some paranormal elements to this book, after all Jack is traveling back in time through a passageway in a storage room. But it’s not scare paranormal, the horror scary moments come from real people. The story moves slow at times, then races forward with incredible speed. A bit like life. And through everything I was hooked, I wanted to know how everything ended. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Feb 14, 2015 |
High school teacher Jake Epping is stupefied when his buddy Al invites him over to his trailer and demonstrates an otherworldly discovery: Invisible stairs lead down from his pantry into the year 1958. Al reveals that he's taken several trips back himself already, intending to right a monumental wrong, but now that his health is failing he needs Jake to step in and complete this world-changing mission.

An engaging, entertaining read -- definitely a page-turner. Jake's smugness was kind of irritating, but he was an otherwise fairly likable guy whom the reader will root for. The disastrous final chapters came across as a bit over-dramatic, but having never experienced the effects of time-travel myself, what do I know? King could be right! ( )
  ryner | Feb 7, 2015 |
This book is long. But it is fantastic, well thought out and delivered. Stephen King is a gifted writer and story teller. ( )
  JohnCouke | Jan 26, 2015 |
It all adds up to one of the best time-travel stories since H. G. Wells. King has captured something wonderful. Could it be the bottomlessness of reality? The closer you get to history, the more mysterious it becomes. He has written a deeply romantic and pessimistic book. It’s romantic about the real possibility of love, and pessimistic about everything else.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasson, CraigReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wu MingTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is virtually not assimilable to our reason that a small lonely man felled a giant in the midst of his limousines, his legions, his throng, and his security. If such a nonentity destroyed the leader of the most powerful nation on earth, then a world of disproportion engulfs us, and we live in a universe that is absurd.

- Norman Mailer
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples.

- Japanese proverb
Dancing is life.
For Zelda
Hey, honey, welcome to the party
I have never been what you call a crying man.
But stupidity is one of two things we see most clearly in retrospect.  The other is missed chances.
Although emotionally delicate and eminently bruisable, teenagers are short on empathy.  That comes later in life, if at all.
Life turns on a dime.

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas,
President Kennedy died, and the world changed.

If you had the chance to change history, would you?
Would the consequences be worth it?

Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students—a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night 50 years ago when Harry Dunning’s father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk.

Not much later, Jake’s friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane—and insanely possible—mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake’s new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake’s life—a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.
Can we change the past?
Not if it erases life.
Better just to dance. (enemyanniemae)

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas, President Kennedy died, and the world changed. What if you could change it back? The author's new novel is about a man who travels back in time to prevent the JFK assassination. In this novel that is a tribute to a simpler era, he sweeps readers back in time to another moment, a real life moment, when everything went wrong: the JFK assassination. And he introduces readers to a character who has the power to change the course of history. Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students, a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night fifty years ago when Harry Dunning's father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk. Not much later, Jake's friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane, and insanely possible, mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake's new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake's life, a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,184,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible