11.22.63 by Stephen King

Info:Hodder Paperback (2012), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:time travel

11/22/63 by Stephen King

It by Stephen King (watertiger, sturlington)
    watertiger: The characters from IT are referenced in 11/22/63
    sturlington: A section of 11/22/63 is set in Derry and features characters from It.
    The Dead Zone by Stephen King (StarryNightElf)
    Time and again by Jack Finney (zwelbast, bookworm12)
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (SJaneDoe, dltj)
    dltj: Shares a similar plot line that covers part of the same time period, and "Replay" even includes a story fragment about November 22, 1963.
    Somewhere In Time by Richard Matheson (stevetempo)
    stevetempo: No change in history here...but a cross time romance is featured...if you saw and enjoyed the movie...read the book.
    American Tabloid by James Ellroy (glwebb)
    glwebb: If you liked 11/22/63 then American Tabloid should be right up your street. A very snappy, complicated, twisted look at the Kennedy Presidency and assassination. Ellroy dishes up a counterfactual history that seems almost too real to be anything other than the secret truth.… (more)
    Blackout by Connie Willis (Navarone)
    Navarone: Both books are about time travel and how the future is affected due to the actions you make.
    Time and Time Again by Ben Elton (aliklein)
    American Gods - The Tenth Anniversary Edition by Neil Gaiman (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both novels are epic. They both have elements of time travel and a sense that minor actions can lead to major unintended consequences.
    All Clear by Connie Willis (Navarone)
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (mene)
    mene: Both books are about time travel through a kind of portal. In both books, the time traveller finds love on the other side, but the effects of the time travel and the way it works are different. In King's book, the time traveller also actively tries to change history, while in Gabaldon's book, the time traveller uses her knowledge of future events a lot less actively.… (more)

English (439)  Dutch (8)  French (6)  Catalan (3)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Bulgarian (1)  All languages (466)
Best Stephen King novel since The Stand. ( )
  lostkiwi | May 26, 2016 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I was very careful when I first started this book. It was shortly after the huge disappointment that was Under The Dome and I was torn between not reading another tome from the same author (at least for a while) and Time Travel. As usual, time travel won.

But in this case, I'm so glad it did. It was a wonderful novel. Jake wants to prevent the assassination of JFK, but this means that he will have to spend several years in the past. Obviously, during that time he does more than just his mission, and those things are basically what makes this book so awesome.

If you never tried a Stephen King because you're afraid that it is horror. Don't worry, it is not. If you're afraid to try 11/22/63 because King always writes terrible endings, don't worry. Considering it's a King, the ending is really good too.

I don't want to say too much about it out of fair to spoil some things. So, I'll only say, check this book out, it is one of my favourites. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
More like 3.5 stars.
Like all King novels, this grabs you & holds you.
But there's a LOT of down-time in these 842 pages. He could have trimmed them out, or used them to address some other plot points. ( )
  LauraCerone | May 26, 2016 |
I loved this book. A slow reader, I zoomed through an over 850 page book (including the extra materials in the back) in 2 ½ weeks. A book half that length often takes me the same amount of time to read. I recommended it for my real world book club and I’m so grateful to have gotten it off my to read shelf. I’m hoping the group members who read it like it as much as I did.

It was a 5 star book all the way, until, until it almost completely lost me on page 790. Thankfully, it partially redeemed itself, but because of those few dozen pages toward the end I have to demote my rating to 4 stars. I know that this isn’t supposed to be a realistic fiction story, that it’s speculative fiction/time travel, but I need even my speculative fiction books to make sense, to have some coherence. I had one concern and major question from the start and no it was not answered or addressed and then on page 790 things got ridiculous and unbelievable, and not in a way I found interesting. The rest of story up until that point had a rationale I could accept within the context of the story. So, here are my gripes From the start I wondered how that if Jake Eppling was born around 1976 and conceived around 1975 what the odds were his birth would have happened if Kennedy hadn't been killed in 1963. His parents would have had at least slightly different lives and how could that sperm and that egg get together at that exact second. Almost impossible for him and also for others born after 1963, in my opinion. It wasn’t just a question of their lives being different but how could they even exist. The other 2 things that were changed in the past were regional and much less likely to have had that consequence for the characters the reader gets to know, but Kennedy was big news throughout the country and I remember how strongly people reacted, including young people. And then, on page 290, the changes Jake made caused a huge earthquake in Los Angeles later in 1963?! And other earthquakes too?! Nope! I didn’t buy it and was disappointed by that part of the storyline. The changes that affected individuals, politics, the economy, etc. all those made sense but not natural phenomena. Not for me. Yes, an explanation was given, but it kind of took me out of the story in which I was invested. I can understand if others could suspend disbelief and accept those happenings, but I was taking these characters and their actions as seriously as I could in a book of this type. I hated the way the story (for me) veered off.

Aside from that disappointing turn of events, and more violence than I prefer, I loved this book! It is long. I truly appreciate that this is one self-contained book but at one point I could see the appeal of trilogies. It felt as though there were many story arcs within it, and even the paperback was heavy and large, and difficult to carry with me, and when at home I generally recline and rest books on my chest and its weight felt uncomfortable when I did that.

It never dragged for me though. It’s a very satisfying book. There are 6 extremely long sections, and most of the chapters within are not short, but thankfully there are many short break points in the chapters so there was always a good place to take breaks from reading. For me it was a page-turner though and hard to put down.

The story is an interesting meld of historical fiction and speculative fiction (time travel, science fiction, fantasy.) I think perhaps I got extra pleasure from it because I remember the years 1958-1963, even though I was young and not in similar settings as the characters in this story.

I love the main character’s voice. I love most of the characters, even the ones I disliked as people. The characters felt like real people. Some of them were but by necessity there were always fictional components to their places in the book. I really cared for the characters and felt invested in what would happen to them. Also, I’m not at all a fan of romance books but I love a good love story that works, and there was a great love story as part of this book, more than one really, but one main one, one with depth that was mature and real. Just lovely!

The premise is wonderful and greatly appealed to me. The story is constructed very cleverly.

I was hooked from the start. Even when the book almost got ruined for me toward the end I never stopped wanting to know what would happen. Mind blown! Interestingly, especially at the beginning when the reader is introduced to the time travel aspect.

The suspense was sometimes almost painful and even after the biggest scene the suspense continued, all the way through. The plot is very complicated and fun. Between the suspense and creepiness at times, there were parts that were not conducive to relaxing before bedtime reading, but I usually continued anyway because, as I’ve said, it was hard to stop reading.

Basically my mind wouldn’t stop spinning the entire time I was reading the book. I was constantly conjecturing and guessing. My flights of fancy went to possibilities even crazier than the author’s. For instance for a while I wondered if Jake going back in time actually would cause the assassination of JFK.

This would be a perfect book to read in exact sync chapter by chapter with a buddy. There is so much I wanted to chat about at the time I was reading.

Even though I clearly remember the assassination of JFK and for years (in the 60s and 70s) read books about him and about the assassination, this book made me want to look up some facts about Oswald and other things about the era and time & place, but not until after I finished the book.

In my paperback edition there were some illuminating extra materials. Particularly of interest to me were the afterword and the interview with the author. It was helpful to read about the author’s opinions and his research and preparation for writing the book, and why he wrote the book and the circumstances around it. I got a kick out of his wife being on the side of a conspiracy whereas the author (and the main character) concluded that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. There was also a list of discussion questions for book clubs, and a fun 11/22/63 playlist of music/songs. There was also a menu, menus really, for 11/22/63. It’s not only because I’m vegan (I was an omnivore during 1958-1963) that those menus didn’t particularly feel like an asset to the book. Even though he got them from The Joy of Cooking I can’t say I recognized most of the dishes as is. For instance, I remember other vegetable oils but not olive oil being used during that era. The popularity of olive oil came later, at least in my experience.

Overall, I loved reading this and ended up really liking it. I can recommend it to readers who like speculative fiction and time travel stories. I’m sure many won’t be bothered by my main gripes, and there were several things I really liked that came after page 790. It did end on a satisfying note. So: 4 ½ stars.

Quotes I liked:

“When all else fails, give up and go to the library.”

“We never know which lives we influence, or when, or why. Not until the future eats the present, anyway. We know when it's too late.”

“...stupidity is one of the two things we see most clearly in retrospect. The other is missed chances.” ( )
  Lisa2013 | May 13, 2016 |
11/22/63
4 Stars

I have little to add to the multitude of reviews for this book. Suffice it to say that it is King at his best.

King's excursion into the past is richly detailed and informative. Although the facts of the Kennedy assassination are very well known, King still managed to provide some tidbits that were new to me. Nevertheless, it is actually this part of the book that fell flat for me as the surveillance of the Oswalds becomes tedious after a while.

It is fictional sections that take place in the Derry, Maine (yes, the same town from IT) and Jodie, Texas, that are the most appealing with engaging characters and gripping storylines. The sweet romance between George and Sadie is an added bonus and had me rooting for them although the ending is rather bittersweet.

Overall, 11/22/63 is an excellent read. I just wish King's managed to convey his messages in fewer pages. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 8, 2016 |
...ingen van läsare av science fiction kommer att bli överraskad.

It all adds up to one of the best time-travel stories since H. G. Wells. King has captured something wonderful. Could it be the bottomlessness of reality? The closer you get to history, the more mysterious it becomes. He has written a deeply romantic and pessimistic book. It’s romantic about the real possibility of love, and pessimistic about everything else.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bonomelli, RexCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cassel, BooTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gassie, NadineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hobbing, ErichDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasson, CraigReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is virtually not assimilable to our reason that a small lonely man felled a giant in the midst of his limousines, his legions, his throng, and his security. If such a nonentity destroyed the leader of the most powerful nation on earth, then a world of disproportion engulfs us, and we live in a universe that is absurd.

- Norman Mailer
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples.

- Japanese proverb
Dancing is life.
For Zelda
Hey, honey, welcome to the party
I have never been what you call a crying man.
But stupidity is one of two things we see most clearly in retrospect.  The other is missed chances.
Although emotionally delicate and eminently bruisable, teenagers are short on empathy.  That comes later in life, if at all.
Life turns on a dime.

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas,
President Kennedy died, and the world changed.

If you had the chance to change history, would you?
Would the consequences be worth it?

Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students—a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night 50 years ago when Harry Dunning’s father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk.

Not much later, Jake’s friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane—and insanely possible—mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake’s new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake’s life—a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.
Can we change the past?
Not if it erases life.
Better just to dance. (enemyanniemae)

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas, President Kennedy died, and the world changed. What if you could change it back? The author's new novel is about a man who travels back in time to prevent the JFK assassination. In this novel that is a tribute to a simpler era, he sweeps readers back in time to another moment, a real life moment, when everything went wrong: the JFK assassination. And he introduces readers to a character who has the power to change the course of history. Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students, a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night fifty years ago when Harry Dunning's father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk. Not much later, Jake's friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane, and insanely possible, mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake's new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake's life, a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,908,393 books! | Top bar: Always visible