11/22/63: A Novel by Stephen King

11/22/63: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Stephen King

6,719491555 (4.2)1 / 555
Member:ButlerDoug
Title:11/22/63: A Novel
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Gallery Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 880 pages

11/22/63 by Stephen King

It by Stephen King (watertiger, sturlington)
    watertiger: The characters from IT are referenced in 11/22/63
    sturlington: A section of 11/22/63 is set in Derry and features characters from It.
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (SJaneDoe, dltj)
    dltj: Shares a similar plot line that covers part of the same time period, and "Replay" even includes a story fragment about November 22, 1963.
    The Dead Zone by Stephen King (StarryNightElf)
    Time and Again by Jack Finney (zwelbast, bookworm12)
    Somewhere In Time by Richard Matheson (stevetempo)
    stevetempo: No change in history here...but a cross time romance is featured...if you saw and enjoyed the movie...read the book.
    American Tabloid by James Ellroy (glwebb)
    glwebb: If you liked 11/22/63 then American Tabloid should be right up your street. A very snappy, complicated, twisted look at the Kennedy Presidency and assassination. Ellroy dishes up a counterfactual history that seems almost too real to be anything other than the secret truth.… (more)
    Blackout by Connie Willis (Navarone)
    Navarone: Both books are about time travel and how the future is affected due to the actions you make.
    All Clear by Connie Willis (Navarone)
    American Gods - The Tenth Anniversary Edition by Neil Gaiman (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both novels are epic. They both have elements of time travel and a sense that minor actions can lead to major unintended consequences.
    Time and Time Again by Ben Elton (aliklein)
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (mene)
    mene: Both books are about time travel through a kind of portal. In both books, the time traveller finds love on the other side, but the effects of the time travel and the way it works are different. In King's book, the time traveller also actively tries to change history, while in Gabaldon's book, the time traveller uses her knowledge of future events a lot less actively.… (more)

English (463)  Dutch (8)  French (6)  Catalan (3)  German (3)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Bulgarian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (491)
4.5 stars — I'm deducting 0.5 stars because I think it's unnecessarily long. I have no problems with long books when it's necessary for the story.

I have no idea how to review this book. Reviewing books from authors that I admire, like King and Dickens, is intimidating. I don’t feel like my review will do the book justice, but I’ll do my best.

This novel is a wonderful mixture of time travel, historical fiction, mystery, suspense and romance. I’m not a big fan of romance, but it works well in this story. I haven’t read many time travel books, so a couple of times I had to reread a sentence or two to try to wrap my head around it. I didn’t realize, until I read this book, how much of what we do in our lives impacts the future. Some of the small things we do can have a huge impact on the future even if it feels like it has no impact at all.

I’m always amazed at Stephen King’s ability to tell a great story with well-developed characters and a writing style that flows so naturally.

There’s a lot of depth in this story and in the characters. It’s obvious that it took a tremendous amount of research to write this novel. I don’t mean just the historical facts. I know Stephen King changed some of them to fit his story and that’s completely OK. I had a crystal clear image of what it was like to live in the late 50’s and early 60’s. I saw the type of clothes they wore, the cars they drove, and the products they used. I saw their general way of living. You can learn everything about the characters from their actions and the dialogue. You don’t need to be told anything. I love those kinds of details. He makes writing look easy and it takes an incredible amount of talent to accomplish that.

I love the narrative voice in this novel — it’s narrated by Jake Epping. When he’s in the past, he’s George Amberson. Jake Epping is a high school English teacher and teaches a GED class at a local high school in Maine. One of his students is the janitor, Harry Dunning. Harry writes a very poignant paper about a traumatic childhood experience and Jake can’t stop thinking about that paper or Harry and his family.

Al is the owner of a local diner and a friend of Jake’s mainly because Jake is a regular customer. The portal is in the diner’s pantry. Al is obsessed with the portal and the JFK assassination. He keeps a detailed journal of his travels through the portal. He asks Jake to try to stop the assassination, but he’s not sure how much or what it’ll change in the future or how their lives will change if he succeeds. There’s a woman (I’m drawing a blank on her name) who became wheelchair bound after a hunting accident that happened when she was a kid. As a test, Jake tries to prevent the hunting accident and Harry Dunning’s traumatic childhood experience.

The current date is 2011, but every time Jake travels through the portal, it’s 1958. No matter how long he’s in the past, only two minutes have passed in present. When Jake goes to the past, comes back to the present and then goes to the past again, everything is reset, so anything he had accomplished in the past before, he has to redo. At one point, Jake was in the past for five years, so physically he aged five years, but when he returned to 2011, he was still technically five years younger. Towards the end, Harry asks Jake how old he is and Jake says that he’s forty. Harry comments that he must have been born in 1971. Jake thinks to himself, actually, I was born in 1976, but he couldn’t explain the time travel to Harry.

The Yellow Card Man, who lives in the past and sits close to the portal, is a little unhinged and at first I couldn't figure out why.

Jake/George meets Sadie in the past and they fall in love. It’s nice to see King’s sensitive side to show that he’s not all horror and creepiness. It shows he’s a very diverse writer. He can write sci-fi, horror, mystery/thriller, time travel, historical fiction and a little bit of romance.

Part of the ending is predictable, but part of it is unpredictable. I can’t explain why I think that because I don’t want to spoil it. I understand why he ended it the way that he did. The ending with Jake and Sadie is so sweet! For me, it was an eye-watering moment.

You don’t have to be a Stephen King fan to enjoy this book. I highly recommend it to everyone.
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
A thrilling time travel book that keeps you on the edge. ( )
  Ahmad_Ardalan | Sep 28, 2016 |
So, as we know Stephen King has been writing for decades and while he is the master of horror, he does sometimes get a hard time for not writing 'proper' literature and while a time travel science fiction novel may not be the best example of proving your literary chops but in this novel King shows that he is a Great Writer as well as being the Master of Horror.

As the title indicates, the central premise of this tale is the assassination of John Fitzgerald Kennedy, but it's not the centre of the story. When Jake Epping is let in on the secret of Al's cheap beef burgers - a hole in time that could take you back to the same day in 1958 (that's the same day of 1958, not the same day of the year 1958 as your present) he's fairly doubtful - Al is in the final stages of lung cancer and on strong meds after all. Perhaps not too useful but if you could live through the intervening years you might have a chance to disrupt the Kennedy assassination and it's in these intervening years that this novel really shines - everyone has a tendency to view the late fifties and sixties as a time when 'you never had it so good', but King goes into the underbelly of these times and pulls out some really dark places, and some that really are rather nice.

I'm not really a King fan but this book really took me by the throat and demanded to be read in one sitting and while I didn't quite manage that it was certainly one of the fastest reads I have managed ( )
  JohnFair | Sep 27, 2016 |
Fun read that incorporates history and fiction.
  CharliePipes | Sep 12, 2016 |
Stephen King is a master storyteller, and the premise of this was intriguing. It was well-written, and I enjoyed it, but I think it could have been pared down by at least 25%.
Jake Epping is recruited by Al, the diner owner, to go back through a time warp located in the diner, that brings him to 1958. His mission: stop the Kennedy assassination. By doing that, he could change the future: no Vietnam, no race riots, the hope of a secure world. Without spoiling it (too much): time doesn't like to be played with, and obstacles pop up. 3.5 stars. ( )
  tstan | Sep 4, 2016 |
...ingen van läsare av science fiction kommer att bli överraskad.

It all adds up to one of the best time-travel stories since H. G. Wells. King has captured something wonderful. Could it be the bottomlessness of reality? The closer you get to history, the more mysterious it becomes. He has written a deeply romantic and pessimistic book. It’s romantic about the real possibility of love, and pessimistic about everything else.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bonomelli, RexCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cassel, BooTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gassie, NadineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hobbing, ErichDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasson, CraigReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is virtually not assimilable to our reason that a small lonely man felled a giant in the midst of his limousines, his legions, his throng, and his security. If such a nonentity destroyed the leader of the most powerful nation on earth, then a world of disproportion engulfs us, and we live in a universe that is absurd.

- Norman Mailer
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples.

- Japanese proverb
Dancing is life.
For Zelda
Hey, honey, welcome to the party
I have never been what you call a crying man.
But stupidity is one of two things we see most clearly in retrospect.  The other is missed chances.
Although emotionally delicate and eminently bruisable, teenagers are short on empathy.  That comes later in life, if at all.
Life turns on a dime.

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas,
President Kennedy died, and the world changed.

If you had the chance to change history, would you?
Would the consequences be worth it?

Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students—a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night 50 years ago when Harry Dunning’s father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk.

Not much later, Jake’s friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane—and insanely possible—mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake’s new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake’s life—a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.
Can we change the past?
Not if it erases life.
Better just to dance. (enemyanniemae)

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas, President Kennedy died, and the world changed. What if you could change it back? The author's new novel is about a man who travels back in time to prevent the JFK assassination. In this novel that is a tribute to a simpler era, he sweeps readers back in time to another moment, a real life moment, when everything went wrong: the JFK assassination. And he introduces readers to a character who has the power to change the course of history. Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students, a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night fifty years ago when Harry Dunning's father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk. Not much later, Jake's friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane, and insanely possible, mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake's new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake's life, a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,265,131 books! | Top bar: Always visible