11/22/63: A Novel by Stephen King

11/22/63: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Stephen King

6,657486564 (4.2)1 / 555
Member:ButlerDoug
Title:11/22/63: A Novel
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Gallery Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 880 pages

11/22/63 by Stephen King

It by Stephen King (watertiger, sturlington)
    watertiger: The characters from IT are referenced in 11/22/63
    sturlington: A section of 11/22/63 is set in Derry and features characters from It.
    The Dead Zone by Stephen King (StarryNightElf)
    Time and Again by Jack Finney (zwelbast, bookworm12)
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (SJaneDoe, dltj)
    dltj: Shares a similar plot line that covers part of the same time period, and "Replay" even includes a story fragment about November 22, 1963.
    Somewhere In Time by Richard Matheson (stevetempo)
    stevetempo: No change in history here...but a cross time romance is featured...if you saw and enjoyed the movie...read the book.
    Blackout by Connie Willis (Navarone)
    Navarone: Both books are about time travel and how the future is affected due to the actions you make.
    American Tabloid by James Ellroy (glwebb)
    glwebb: If you liked 11/22/63 then American Tabloid should be right up your street. A very snappy, complicated, twisted look at the Kennedy Presidency and assassination. Ellroy dishes up a counterfactual history that seems almost too real to be anything other than the secret truth.… (more)
    All Clear by Connie Willis (Navarone)
    Time and Time Again by Ben Elton (aliklein)
    American Gods - The Tenth Anniversary Edition by Neil Gaiman (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both novels are epic. They both have elements of time travel and a sense that minor actions can lead to major unintended consequences.
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (mene)
    mene: Both books are about time travel through a kind of portal. In both books, the time traveller finds love on the other side, but the effects of the time travel and the way it works are different. In King's book, the time traveller also actively tries to change history, while in Gabaldon's book, the time traveller uses her knowledge of future events a lot less actively.… (more)

English (458)  Dutch (8)  French (6)  Catalan (3)  German (3)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Bulgarian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (486)
Recently a colleague at my place of employment said to me that it was her intention to read a lot more of the books by Stephen King as she loved a good horror story. To designate Mr King as simply a horror writer is a gross injustice to perhaps one of the greatest if not the greatest literary talent to have emerged in the last 50 years. There is no author more emotive or has a greater understanding of the human condition, there is no author that can take a story any story and create a work of such sheer beauty and brilliance. It had always been my intention to read 11.22.63 and but I kept postponing as this is not a short story and at 740 pages (hardback version) I wanted to ensure that once started I would complete.....I need not have worried as once started I found it impossible not to continue reading.

Jake Epping has found a door to the past, a timeline that he can travel to and perhaps by doing so change the course of history and in particular the events of 11.22.63 in Dallas Texas...events that shocked generations and had repercussions for and beyond the lone star state. The central question posed is quite simply if you had the opportunity to alter the course of history would you act on that opportunity and if you did what would be the repercussions? The author vividly portrays an America of the late 50's early 60's that is at once homely and welcoming; the town of Jodie with its home spun philosophy and welcoming smile and none more enticing or exciting than Sadie Dunhill. Against this background is the degenerate L H Oswald, his life of hate and deceit and his destiny with an event and time in history. One particular social event celebrating the partnership of Jake and Sadie expertly paints a picture of the good and bad and the fears and horror that surround us...."For a moment everything was clear, and when that happens you see that the world is barely there at all. Don't we all secretly know this? It's a perfectly balanced mechanism of shouts and echoes pretending to be wheels and cogs, a dreamclock chiming beneath a mystery-glass we call life. Behind it? Below it and around it? Chaos, storms. Men with hammers, men with knives, men with guns. Women who twist what they cannot dominate and belittle what they cannot understand. A universe of horror and loss surrounding a single lighted stage where mortals dance in defiance of the dark."

If I was to suggest to you a book that might alter your complete attitude to reading and form the basis of a philosophy of life then 11.22.63 would be that choice. I kid you not. Not only is this a brilliant and exciting story about a race to stop one terrible event in history but more than that it is story about what we as humans hold to be true and valuable in this short life we live. The closing scene is one of the greatest I have ever read and perhaps one of the most memorable that Stephen King has written. Highly recommended! ( )
  runner56 | Aug 29, 2016 |
11/22/63 has become of my favorite Stephen King novels. It has fascinating and compelling characters, fun plot, and great attention was paid to historical details. It crosses genres that Stephen King usually does not cross but it does not disappoint. Very enjoyable read with an ending that satisfied. ( )
  trile1000 | Aug 29, 2016 |
Jake lives in the year 2011, but when his buddy Al suddenly appears unwell, when he was perfectly fine the day before, Al lets Jake in on a secret: Al has been traveling back and forth in time. When he travels back, he always appears on the same date, same time in 1958. Now, though, Al is dying from cancer. Al wants Jake to go back to live back then until he can stop Lee Harvey Oswald from shooting John F. Kennedy in 1963.

Stephen King is amazing! What a great book. The book drew me in right away and it just kept going (that is, it kept me interested with everything going on). I loved the characters, especially Jake and Sadie. I have to admit a few (short) parts where Oswald is discussing politics with a friend wasn't all that interesting to me, but those parts were very short. Overall, amazing book! I also loved the ending. ( )
  LibraryCin | Aug 21, 2016 |
Interesting. The story was clever, well written and great, but the history bogged me down. I never wanted to know that much about Lee Harvey Oswald, or the details of that day. Honestly much longer than it needed to be. I've never looked for the end of a King book before, but I did, this one. ( )
  Laura_Drake | Aug 19, 2016 |
I adore this book! After rereading I beleive that it fully deserves the 5 stars! ( )
  Art3mis | Aug 12, 2016 |
...ingen van läsare av science fiction kommer att bli överraskad.

It all adds up to one of the best time-travel stories since H. G. Wells. King has captured something wonderful. Could it be the bottomlessness of reality? The closer you get to history, the more mysterious it becomes. He has written a deeply romantic and pessimistic book. It’s romantic about the real possibility of love, and pessimistic about everything else.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bonomelli, RexCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cassel, BooTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gassie, NadineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hobbing, ErichDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasson, CraigReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is virtually not assimilable to our reason that a small lonely man felled a giant in the midst of his limousines, his legions, his throng, and his security. If such a nonentity destroyed the leader of the most powerful nation on earth, then a world of disproportion engulfs us, and we live in a universe that is absurd.

- Norman Mailer
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples.

- Japanese proverb
Dancing is life.
For Zelda
Hey, honey, welcome to the party
I have never been what you call a crying man.
But stupidity is one of two things we see most clearly in retrospect.  The other is missed chances.
Although emotionally delicate and eminently bruisable, teenagers are short on empathy.  That comes later in life, if at all.
Life turns on a dime.

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas,
President Kennedy died, and the world changed.

If you had the chance to change history, would you?
Would the consequences be worth it?

Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students—a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night 50 years ago when Harry Dunning’s father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk.

Not much later, Jake’s friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane—and insanely possible—mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake’s new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake’s life—a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.
Can we change the past?
Not if it erases life.
Better just to dance. (enemyanniemae)

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas, President Kennedy died, and the world changed. What if you could change it back? The author's new novel is about a man who travels back in time to prevent the JFK assassination. In this novel that is a tribute to a simpler era, he sweeps readers back in time to another moment, a real life moment, when everything went wrong: the JFK assassination. And he introduces readers to a character who has the power to change the course of history. Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students, a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night fifty years ago when Harry Dunning's father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk. Not much later, Jake's friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane, and insanely possible, mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake's new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake's life, a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,528,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible