11/22/63: A Novel by Stephen King

11/22/63: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Stephen King

5,360386819 (4.2)1 / 495
Member:ButlerDoug
Title:11/22/63: A Novel
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Gallery Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 880 pages

11/22/63 by Stephen King

Recently added byJohnCouke, kjl84, private library, Pickiej, rjc146, Spgfldman, FFlames, samlowries, sixteendays, Wikke_
    It by Stephen King (watertiger, sturlington)
    watertiger: The characters from IT are referenced in 11/22/63
    sturlington: A section of 11/22/63 is set in Derry and features characters from It.
    The Dead Zone by Stephen King (StarryNightElf)
    Time and Again by Jack Finney (zwelbast, bookworm12)
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (SJaneDoe, dltj)
    dltj: Shares a similar plot line that covers part of the same time period, and "Replay" even includes a story fragment about November 22, 1963.
    Somewhere In Time by Richard Matheson (stevetempo)
    stevetempo: No change in history here...but a cross time romance is featured...if you saw and enjoyed the movie...read the book.
    American Tabloid by James Ellroy (glwebb)
    glwebb: If you liked 11/22/63 then American Tabloid should be right up your street. A very snappy, complicated, twisted look at the Kennedy Presidency and assassination. Ellroy dishes up a counterfactual history that seems almost too real to be anything other than the secret truth.… (more)
    American Gods - The Tenth Anniversary Edition by Neil Gaiman (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both novels are epic. They both have elements of time travel and a sense that minor actions can lead to major unintended consequences.
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (mene)
    mene: Both books are about time travel through a kind of portal. In both books, the time traveller finds love on the other side, but the effects of the time travel and the way it works are different. In King's book, the time traveller also actively tries to change history, while in Gabaldon's book, the time traveller uses her knowledge of future events a lot less actively.… (more)

English (362)  Dutch (8)  French (4)  German (3)  Catalan (3)  Spanish (2)  Bulgarian (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (386)
This book is long. But it is fantastic, well thought out and delivered. Stephen King is a gifted writer and story teller. ( )
  JohnCouke | Jan 26, 2015 |
This was worth reading, however it took me some time to get into. I loved the idea of time travel and many of the characters were amazing. Though the main character was annoying. I'm not big on tangents and this was a huge frustration for me throughout this novel. I don't normally skip paragraphs. I found myself doing so. I was happy when I was finished reading this story. I normally like to simmer at the end of a good book and write my favorite parts down. I just didn't get that fuzzy feeling while reading this story. It was a page turner here and there but mostly forced by my need to finish. ( )
  Ahopkinsbibliomaniac | Jan 14, 2015 |
Excellent book by The King.....not his usual book but I really liked it. Hard to get into at first but once you do, it's page turning ......I love alternate history stories:) ( )
  earthwindwalker | Jan 11, 2015 |
I loved it. Almost 5 stars but it got a little long in places. It does make you think about what event you would change if you could go back in time and have a re-do. ( )
  stellabela | Jan 6, 2015 |
I preface this review by stating from the outset that I am not a Stephen King fan. I have read a few books that I liked and attempted others in which I was not really interested. This book ranks as one of the best books I ever read and will remain in my "top shelf" pile meaning I will read and re-read this book over time.

If you love time travel, quantum string theory and exploring the meaning of the universe, then this book is for you. It is very thought provoking -one of the main themes being "the past is obdurate". There were a lot of interesting concepts brought into the story and I won't go into any of them here because this is a book that begs to be read and then discussed rather than reviewed and spoiled by information.

The detail is excellent while not being mired in minutiae which has been a criticism of King books. There is certainly an element of travelogue which I always enjoy, music and food. The characters are interesting and well rounded - both the fictional and the non-fictional ones and it's a great mix of both.

The story is marvelous. Any story that begs you to read just a few more pages, just one more chapter, just thirty more minutes and then the next morning has you picking it up as quickly as you can, is one of the great reads. When you finish and want to start again, it's a great read. And when the author references everything in the story from Ray Bradbury to my favorite Thomas Hardy novel of all time - "Jude the Obscure" - then it's a great novel.

Do not hesitate - buy this book. Read this book. You will not regret it! ( )
  ozzieslim | Dec 28, 2014 |
It all adds up to one of the best time-travel stories since H. G. Wells. King has captured something wonderful. Could it be the bottomlessness of reality? The closer you get to history, the more mysterious it becomes. He has written a deeply romantic and pessimistic book. It’s romantic about the real possibility of love, and pessimistic about everything else.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasson, CraigReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wu MingTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is virtually not assimilable to our reason that a small lonely man felled a giant in the midst of his limousines, his legions, his throng, and his security. If such a nonentity destroyed the leader of the most powerful nation on earth, then a world of disproportion engulfs us, and we live in a universe that is absurd.

- Norman Mailer
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples.

- Japanese proverb
Dancing is life.
For Zelda
Hey, honey, welcome to the party
I have never been what you call a crying man.
But stupidity is one of two things we see most clearly in retrospect.  The other is missed chances.
Although emotionally delicate and eminently bruisable, teenagers are short on empathy.  That comes later in life, if at all.
Life turns on a dime.

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas,
President Kennedy died, and the world changed.

If you had the chance to change history, would you?
Would the consequences be worth it?

Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students—a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night 50 years ago when Harry Dunning’s father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk.

Not much later, Jake’s friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane—and insanely possible—mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake’s new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake’s life—a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.
Can we change the past?
Not if it erases life.
Better just to dance. (enemyanniemae)

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas, President Kennedy died, and the world changed. What if you could change it back? The author's new novel is about a man who travels back in time to prevent the JFK assassination. In this novel that is a tribute to a simpler era, he sweeps readers back in time to another moment, a real life moment, when everything went wrong: the JFK assassination. And he introduces readers to a character who has the power to change the course of history. Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students, a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night fifty years ago when Harry Dunning's father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk. Not much later, Jake's friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane, and insanely possible, mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake's new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake's life, a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,064,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible