11/22/63: A Novel by Stephen King

11/22/63: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Stephen King

5,058360890 (4.2)1 / 466
Member:ButlerDoug
Title:11/22/63: A Novel
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Gallery Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 880 pages

11/22/63 by Stephen King

It by Stephen King (watertiger, sturlington)
    watertiger: The characters from IT are referenced in 11/22/63
    sturlington: A section of 11/22/63 is set in Derry and features characters from It.
    The Dead Zone by Stephen King (StarryNightElf)
    Time and Again by Jack Finney (zwelbast, bookworm12)
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (SJaneDoe, dltj)
    dltj: Shares a similar plot line that covers part of the same time period, and "Replay" even includes a story fragment about November 22, 1963.
    Somewhere In Time by Richard Matheson (stevetempo)
    stevetempo: No change in history here...but a cross time romance is featured...if you saw and enjoyed the movie...read the book.
    American Tabloid by James Ellroy (glwebb)
    glwebb: If you liked 11/22/63 then American Tabloid should be right up your street. A very snappy, complicated, twisted look at the Kennedy Presidency and assassination. Ellroy dishes up a counterfactual history that seems almost too real to be anything other than the secret truth.… (more)
    American Gods - The Tenth Anniversary Edition by Neil Gaiman (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both novels are epic. They both have elements of time travel and a sense that minor actions can lead to major unintended consequences.
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (mene)
    mene: Both books are about time travel through a kind of portal. In both books, the time traveller finds love on the other side, but the effects of the time travel and the way it works are different. In King's book, the time traveller also actively tries to change history, while in Gabaldon's book, the time traveller uses her knowledge of future events a lot less actively.… (more)

English (339)  Dutch (8)  French (4)  Catalan (3)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  Bulgarian (1)  All languages (360)
I became a Stephen King fan since I read the first Dark Tower book. With that in mind I have to say that 3 starts is the rate I give to books that fulfill my expectation.

This is another excellent story with a hell of a plot! The last 200 pages are simply breath taken.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, this book went to the same place as the 4th book on the Dark Tower Series. Mr. King spent more time that I would like to on a secondary plot (which is as good as the main one) while I was craving to know "what's going to happen" on the main one.

Nevertheless, this is another master piece of Mr. King and my correct rate would be 3.5 stars but since Goodreads doesn't allow me to do so I lowered to 3. ( )
  thiagoalves | Aug 26, 2014 |
Great ( )
  rnmackrn26 | Aug 21, 2014 |
I loved this book. Kinda sad it took me so long to pick it up. It was one of those books that as I got close to the end I tried to stretch it out, I was not ready for it to be over. Great Stephen King book. ( )
  lonewolf9395 | Aug 7, 2014 |
A girlfriend from work who knows that I love to read asked if I had ever read this book. I then confessed that I was not a Stephen King fan. I usually skip the genres of his novels - mainly contemporary horror, science fiction and fantasy. She told me a little of the story and offered to loan me her hardback edition and I decided to try it.
WoW! There are moments in life when you really need to listen to recommendations. This was a page-turner for me. Perhaps its because my husband has introduced me to several stories in movie format about time travel. Perhaps because I was in 5th grade on 11/22/1963 and can tell you precisely where I was when I learned about President Kennedy's death. Perhaps its because my husband and I watched many of the documentaries that were offered on television in November 2013 as the 50th anniversary brought remembrances and ever lingering questions to all of our minds. But perhaps it is simply because Stephen King paused in the writing of this book until he had the time to devote to the research required and discussion with his son that led to this riveting and powerful novel.
There are also sooooo many exquisite descriptions of life and daily living...Some of my favorites are:
“Home is where you dance with others, and dancing is life.”
“Want to know the best thing about teaching? Seeing that moment when a kid discovers his or her gift. There's no feeling on earth like it.”
“Artistic talent is far more common than the talent to nurture artistic talent.”
“Hairstyles change, and skirt lengths, and slang, but high school administrations? Never.”
“Sometimes life coughs up coincidences no writer of fiction would dare copy.”
“...women are better at keeping secrets, but men are more comfortable with them.”
― Stephen King, 11/22/63
He also said, “Love is uniquely portable magic.” That can also be the description of this book - portable magic to read - simply amazing! I can only continue to recommend it highly as my coworker did for me. You'll be riveted. ( )
1 vote Corduroy7 | Aug 6, 2014 |
Dopo la grande delusione di The Dome, avevo qualche remora dato che il libro mi piaceva (temevo una delusione nel finale), ma devo dire che stavolta è tornato il "vecchio" King. ( )
  cecca | Jul 28, 2014 |
It all adds up to one of the best time-travel stories since H. G. Wells. King has captured something wonderful. Could it be the bottomlessness of reality? The closer you get to history, the more mysterious it becomes. He has written a deeply romantic and pessimistic book. It’s romantic about the real possibility of love, and pessimistic about everything else.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasson, CraigReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wu MingTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is virtually not assimilable to our reason that a small lonely man felled a giant in the midst of his limousines, his legions, his throng, and his security. If such a nonentity destroyed the leader of the most powerful nation on earth, then a world of disproportion engulfs us, and we live in a universe that is absurd.

- Norman Mailer
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples.

- Japanese proverb
Dancing is life.
For Zelda
Hey, honey, welcome to the party
I have never been what you call a crying man.
But stupidity is one of two things we see most clearly in retrospect.  The other is missed chances.
Although emotionally delicate and eminently bruisable, teenagers are short on empathy.  That comes later in life, if at all.
Life turns on a dime.

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas,
President Kennedy died, and the world changed.

If you had the chance to change history, would you?
Would the consequences be worth it?

Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students—a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night 50 years ago when Harry Dunning’s father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk.

Not much later, Jake’s friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane—and insanely possible—mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake’s new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake’s life—a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.
Can we change the past?
Not if it erases life.
Better just to dance. (enemyanniemae)

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas, President Kennedy died, and the world changed. What if you could change it back? The author's new novel is about a man who travels back in time to prevent the JFK assassination. In this novel that is a tribute to a simpler era, he sweeps readers back in time to another moment, a real life moment, when everything went wrong: the JFK assassination. And he introduces readers to a character who has the power to change the course of history. Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students, a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night fifty years ago when Harry Dunning's father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk. Not much later, Jake's friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane, and insanely possible, mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake's new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake's life, a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,346,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible