11/22/63 by Stephen King

Title:11/22/63
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Gallery Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 880 pages
Rating:***
Tags:sf, time travel, alternative history

11/22/63 by Stephen King

It by Stephen King (watertiger, sturlington)
    watertiger: The characters from IT are referenced in 11/22/63
    sturlington: A section of 11/22/63 is set in Derry and features characters from It.
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (SJaneDoe, dltj)
    dltj: Shares a similar plot line that covers part of the same time period, and "Replay" even includes a story fragment about November 22, 1963.
    The Dead Zone by Stephen King (StarryNightElf)
    Time and Again by Jack Finney (zwelbast, bookworm12)
    Somewhere In Time by Richard Matheson (stevetempo)
    stevetempo: No change in history here...but a cross time romance is featured...if you saw and enjoyed the movie...read the book.
    American Tabloid by James Ellroy (glwebb)
    glwebb: If you liked 11/22/63 then American Tabloid should be right up your street. A very snappy, complicated, twisted look at the Kennedy Presidency and assassination. Ellroy dishes up a counterfactual history that seems almost too real to be anything other than the secret truth.… (more)
    Blackout by Connie Willis (Navarone)
    Navarone: Both books are about time travel and how the future is affected due to the actions you make.
    Time and Time Again by Ben Elton (aliklein)
    All Clear by Connie Willis (Navarone)
    American Gods - The Tenth Anniversary Edition by Neil Gaiman (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both novels are epic. They both have elements of time travel and a sense that minor actions can lead to major unintended consequences.
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (mene)
    mene: Both books are about time travel through a kind of portal. In both books, the time traveller finds love on the other side, but the effects of the time travel and the way it works are different. In King's book, the time traveller also actively tries to change history, while in Gabaldon's book, the time traveller uses her knowledge of future events a lot less actively.… (more)

English (493)  Dutch (8)  French (6)  Catalan (3)  German (3)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Bulgarian (1)  Danish (1)  All (521)
To be honest i have never read any of Stephen Kings books before i have seen several of the movies that have been made from his work but never read any of them. I am not a huge fan of horror. Then i came across this. I had heard of it a few years ago but never got astound to reading it. Now i am a huge fan of things about JFK even though the assassination was almost 15 years before i was born.

But let me say this is not horror it is a mix of thriller woth a touch of love story all mixed in to time travel. Even though this is really long (and i mean really long!!) it is still very good i enjoyed the story of Sadie and George it is touching and romantic but also thrilling. I loved the ending (don't worry i wont spill the ending). some things are a little strange and ate a little confusing as the whole book tends to be a little wordy at times but overall i enjoyed it. And maybe this will get me to read more of Stephen King's work. ( )
  Jeffmocz | Jun 20, 2017 |
"Life turns on a dime." We hear this said many times throughout the story, and it makes for a pretty good epitaph. Lots of early exposition in this one and lots of potential plot holes written off without sufficient explanations in the process during the table-setting stage, which was something of a turnoff, but things finally got off the ground and it was pretty much terrific from that point on. Part historical thriller, part love story, part biography, part high school drama. And all really, really good. And only two significant negatives for me. One: too much resistance to hitting the obvious RESET button, with the multiple "too tired to do it all again" bits getting tedious and just not ringing true, especially given the love story involved. And two: I just didn't like the resolution of the love story part of things. ( )
  jimgysin | Jun 19, 2017 |
I found this to be largely . . . okay.

The most amusing thing is that I read this immediately after reading It, not knowing that a good chunk of this novel is actually a sequel to It! That was fun! And those were actually the parts of 11/22/63 that I enjoyed the most. It was fun going back to creepy Derry, briefly seeing Beverly and Richie again, and hearing mention of that clown! I also thought that Jake’s struggle to save the family in Derry provided the most suspenseful portion of the book.

After that portion, I honestly found the book a bit of a slog. The story is about a high school English teacher, Jake, who’s friend Al owns a diner that just happens to have a time-hole leading to 1958 in the pantry. The time travel mechanics are pretty interesting here, as each time the person travels into the time-hole they always emerge on the same date and time in 1958, and each trip to the past rests any previous trips and any changes that were made on those trips. This provided some interesting limitations.

Jake is first prompted to go back in time to save the family of one of his adult students. He reads a heartbreaking essay written by this man, the school janitor, which talks about how his father murdered his mother, brothers and sister. This happened in October of 1958, and when Jake learns that this is the year Al’s time-portal goes to, he decides he has to at least try to prevent this horrific tragedy.

After that, Al wants Jake to stay in the past and live there for five years, so that he can prevent the assassination of John F. Kennedy in Dallas in 1963. Jake settles into life in the early 60s, even getting a job as a high school teacher, encouraging the kids to put on a school play, and falls in love with the school librarian. The descriptions of America in the late 1950s and early 60s were detailed and fascinating, painting a clear picture of time and place. But I have to say I found it dragged and in the end I just wasn’t left with much of an impression. It felt like the whole thing was completely pointless. I mean, I guess it’s about the journey, but still. ( )
  catfantastic | Jun 8, 2017 |
I wish I could give this book a million stars. The most gripping, page turning book I've read in a while. 900 pages felt like 100 and sad it ended. I was rooting for Jake Epping the whole way, felt everything he felt, and wished it all could of gone different, but in the end he made the right decision. LOVE LOVE LOVE! ( )
  Amy_Webb | May 30, 2017 |
An excellent read without doubt. A couple of annoying things about the main character who seems a little bland. Who goes blundering into the past to save a family from a murderous father without even taking five minutes to figure out the name of the father and where they live? Sure, time is running out in the present but hello...

PS! I've read a couple poor reviews that claim King glorifies JFK in this book, but I certainly can't see it. He captures what I imagine was the public opinion of the president at the time, and the events in the end game surely paints him as less than capable. ( )
  pan0ramix | May 26, 2017 |
It all adds up to one of the best time-travel stories since H. G. Wells. King has captured something wonderful. Could it be the bottomlessness of reality? The closer you get to history, the more mysterious it becomes. He has written a deeply romantic and pessimistic book. It’s romantic about the real possibility of love, and pessimistic about everything else.

...ingen van läsare av science fiction kommer att bli överraskad.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasson, CraigReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

It is virtually not assimilable to our reason that a small lonely man felled a giant in the midst of his limousines, his legions, his throng, and his security. If such a nonentity destroyed the leader of the most powerful nation on earth, then a world of disproportion engulfs us, and we live in a universe that is absurd.

- Norman Mailer
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples.

- Japanese proverb
Dancing is life.
For Zelda
Hey, honey, welcome to the party
I have never been what you call a crying man.
But stupidity is one of two things we see most clearly in retrospect.  The other is missed chances.
Although emotionally delicate and eminently bruisable, teenagers are short on empathy.  That comes later in life, if at all.
Life turns on a dime.

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas,
President Kennedy died, and the world changed.

If you had the chance to change history, would you?
Would the consequences be worth it?

Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students—a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night 50 years ago when Harry Dunning’s father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk.

Not much later, Jake’s friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane—and insanely possible—mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake’s new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake’s life—a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.
Can we change the past?
Not if it erases life.
Better just to dance. (enemyanniemae)

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas, President Kennedy died, and the world changed. What if you could change it back? The author's new novel is about a man who travels back in time to prevent the JFK assassination. In this novel that is a tribute to a simpler era, he sweeps readers back in time to another moment, a real life moment, when everything went wrong: the JFK assassination. And he introduces readers to a character who has the power to change the course of history. Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students, a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night fifty years ago when Harry Dunning's father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk. Not much later, Jake's friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane, and insanely possible, mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake's new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake's life, a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.… (more)

2073 wanted

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,229,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible