11/22/63 by Stephen King

Title:11/22/63
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Gallery Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 880 pages
Rating:***
Tags:sf, time travel, alternative history

11/22/63 by Stephen King

It by Stephen King (watertiger, sturlington)
    watertiger: The characters from IT are referenced in 11/22/63
    sturlington: A section of 11/22/63 is set in Derry and features characters from It.
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (SJaneDoe, dltj)
    dltj: Shares a similar plot line that covers part of the same time period, and "Replay" even includes a story fragment about November 22, 1963.
    The Dead Zone by Stephen King (StarryNightElf)
    Time and Again by Jack Finney (zwelbast, bookworm12)
    Somewhere In Time by Richard Matheson (stevetempo)
    stevetempo: No change in history here...but a cross time romance is featured...if you saw and enjoyed the movie...read the book.
    American Tabloid by James Ellroy (glwebb)
    glwebb: If you liked 11/22/63 then American Tabloid should be right up your street. A very snappy, complicated, twisted look at the Kennedy Presidency and assassination. Ellroy dishes up a counterfactual history that seems almost too real to be anything other than the secret truth.… (more)
    Blackout by Connie Willis (Navarone)
    Navarone: Both books are about time travel and how the future is affected due to the actions you make.
    All Clear by Connie Willis (Navarone)
    American Gods - The Tenth Anniversary Edition by Neil Gaiman (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both novels are epic. They both have elements of time travel and a sense that minor actions can lead to major unintended consequences.
    Time and Time Again by Ben Elton (aliklein)
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (mene)
    mene: Both books are about time travel through a kind of portal. In both books, the time traveller finds love on the other side, but the effects of the time travel and the way it works are different. In King's book, the time traveller also actively tries to change history, while in Gabaldon's book, the time traveller uses her knowledge of future events a lot less actively.… (more)

English (479)  Dutch (8)  French (6)  Catalan (3)  German (3)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Bulgarian (1)  Danish (1)  All (507)
First Stephen King in over 20 years, and was it worth the wait! Very well researched time-travel history with a touch of the typical King darkness. Enjoyed it quite a bit! ( )
  Guide2 | Feb 11, 2017 |
Wow I knew I'd enjoy this book, but didn't expect to like it as much as I did! ( )
  capiam1234 | Jan 31, 2017 |
I am a little bit embarrassed to admit that this is the first Stephen King book I have ever read (aside from Rose Madder which I began reading when I was about 11 until my mother asked me before bed one night "what's this about, honey" and I described it in great detail and she immediately vetoed that selection right out of my life) and being a fellow Maine native who grew up about 30 minutes from King's hometown of Bangor, frequently driving by the King mansion just to peep the gargoyles keeping watch on the front gate, this is even more shameful of an admission. In fact, Stephen King was a former English teacher at my high school, Hampden Academy (go Broncos!), although this was many years before I was a student there, and my childhood best friends father, who was "a friend of Bill's" as they say, used to see King at local meetings of the anonymous variety. With so few degrees of separation between me and the famous author you would think I would have been inclined to read one of his books much sooner especially considering I've enjoyed many of the film adaptations and always appreciate the local references that only a native would pick up on, so why it is that i'm just now completing one of his legendary books is beyond me. But after reading 11/22/63 I wish I had done so much sooner. This book was fantastic!

11/22/63 isn't really from my typical genre of choice, although I find that I'm saying that so often in my reviews lately that maybe i really don't have a genre of choice any more or at the very least I can say I'll try anything once. Considering Stephen King wrote this book I was expecting a horror novel but this wasn't the case, at least not in the typical blood and gore and haunted house sense. It was more scary because it made you think about the repercussions that particular events, even very small and seemingly insignificant ones, can have on the future of not only our own lives but the fate of the whole world. The butterfly effect was brought up several times throughout this book- the theory that a butterfly's wings fluttering on one side of the world could result in an earthquake on the other- and it really makes one think about cause and effect and actions having reactions and honestly that can be much more frightening than any Hollywood produced horror if the results are negative.

In general this was a story about a guy named Jake who is introduced to a way to travel back in time to 1958. No matter how long he's stays in the past when he returns to 2011 only 2 minutes will have passed but, by returning, he also "resets" everything in the past as if he'd never been there and whatever changes were caused by his presence will be undone thus giving him infinite chances to change the past... but at what cost to the present (refer back to the butterfly effect)? So Jake goes back with the mission to prevent Lee Harvey Oswald from assassinating President Kennedy on 11/22/63 with the assumption that will make the world, past, present and future, a better place. This turns out to be a difficult task as he quickly learns that the past has a way of protecting itself and the larger the event that he is trying to change the more the past will resist.

During the 5 years that Jake is in the past he meets and falls in love with a young lady named Sadie. She beings to question if he is who is says and quickly suspects he is keeping some major secrets from her. I found this part to be a little far fetched. See Jake as assumed the identity of George Amberson, he gets a teaching degree from a degree mill and forges his references and gets a job teaching at a high school where he eventually meets Sadie. Her suspicions arise when he frequently uses phrases from 2011 that she has never heard used before and peak when he hums a song with lyrics that would have been banned from radio in the conservative early 60's. I wasn't entiley convinced that this would have actually been a game changer in their relationship and I feel like Jake (aka George) could have easily explained it away as the way folks spoke back home in Wisconsin, where he claimed to be from. But that wasn't how it went down and I don't want to give away any spoilers in this review but just for the record that was my only real complaint about the novel and it's a very minor one.

All together I found this book to be excellent. It held my attention and often kept me right on the edge of my seat. Just when I thought I had it figured out something completely unexpected happened and looking back there is no way I could have predicted the outcome and I feel like I definitely got my money's worth. Being a child of the 80's myself I also got an adequate history lesson about what life was like in the late 50's early 60's, communism, Russia, Cuba during the reign of Castro, the missile crisis and threat of WWIII, the crookedness of J Edgar Hoover and friends, and a little bit about politics but from what I can see, in that regard, only the names have changed. In the "Afterward" chapter King said that he tried to keep the historical facts as accurate as possible and that extensive reserarch went into this novel and I was very impressed with the authenticity of history and the way he incorporated it into a page turner. If only my high school history class could have been so engaging.

I highly recommend this book, look forward to binging on the mini series adaptation of it on Hulu, and will definitely have to include many more Stephen King's book in my "read" shelf in the near future. ( )
  JordanAshleyPerkins | Jan 26, 2017 |
Oh my gosh! I loved this book. I never wanted to put it down. It really makes you think about what if time travel was possible. What date would you return to if you could change history? ( )
  tinat51796 | Jan 21, 2017 |
This is amazing writing, just proving again why he has such staying power as an author.
I was completely focused on this story the entire time. It isn't really a horror like many of his, but it's very suspenseful and engulfing. It's full of mystery, time travel, what ifs and unique looks into historic events. I consistently had no idea what would happen next. I loved it. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
...ingen van läsare av science fiction kommer att bli överraskad.

It all adds up to one of the best time-travel stories since H. G. Wells. King has captured something wonderful. Could it be the bottomlessness of reality? The closer you get to history, the more mysterious it becomes. He has written a deeply romantic and pessimistic book. It’s romantic about the real possibility of love, and pessimistic about everything else.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasson, CraigReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

It is virtually not assimilable to our reason that a small lonely man felled a giant in the midst of his limousines, his legions, his throng, and his security. If such a nonentity destroyed the leader of the most powerful nation on earth, then a world of disproportion engulfs us, and we live in a universe that is absurd.

- Norman Mailer
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples.

- Japanese proverb
Dancing is life.
For Zelda
Hey, honey, welcome to the party
I have never been what you call a crying man.
But stupidity is one of two things we see most clearly in retrospect.  The other is missed chances.
Although emotionally delicate and eminently bruisable, teenagers are short on empathy.  That comes later in life, if at all.
Life turns on a dime.

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas,
President Kennedy died, and the world changed.

If you had the chance to change history, would you?
Would the consequences be worth it?

Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students—a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night 50 years ago when Harry Dunning’s father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk.

Not much later, Jake’s friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane—and insanely possible—mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake’s new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake’s life—a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.
Can we change the past?
Not if it erases life.
Better just to dance. (enemyanniemae)

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas, President Kennedy died, and the world changed. What if you could change it back? The author's new novel is about a man who travels back in time to prevent the JFK assassination. In this novel that is a tribute to a simpler era, he sweeps readers back in time to another moment, a real life moment, when everything went wrong: the JFK assassination. And he introduces readers to a character who has the power to change the course of history. Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students, a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night fifty years ago when Harry Dunning's father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk. Not much later, Jake's friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane, and insanely possible, mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake's new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake's life, a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,435,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible