Very Bad Men (2011)

by Harry Dolan

Series: David Loogan (2)

Mystery magazine editor David Loogan receives a sinister manuscript that begins with a murder confession and names individuals who are being stalked and killed for their involvement in a notorious robbery years earlier.

In these two books, we learn why he changed his name, why he has certain fears. All three books kept me guessing until the very end. ( )
  RobertaLea | Dec 19, 2019 |
Enjoyed it, but not as much as the first one. ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
Quite enjoy Harry Dolan's writing, and this trilogy involving a smart guy named David Loogan. (Very Bad Men is actually the 2nd book, but the latest goes back in time.) This story involves an old bank robbery, murders, an old politician (and the candidate likely to fill his spot), as well as great dialogue and action. With Dolan's Loogan, the reader is never quite sure how the story is going to unfold. This book is a good one! ( )
  Randall.Hansen | Apr 17, 2016 |
This is the follow up to Dolan's excellent "Bad Things Happen", with a core of returning characters.
David Loogan has recovered from the events in the previous book & is living a more settled life. He shares a home with Elizabeth, a detective & her teen daughter Sarah. He's now the senior editor at "Gray Streets", a crime fiction magazine & is used to receiving unsolicited manuscripts. But not like this one.
He's left a short story about 3 murders: 2 down & 1 to go. The details of the second one catch his eye as the address is the same as the call Elizabeth just took about a dead body. When they look into the first one, they find that man was also killed a few days ago. They scramble to locate the third man listed & are able to save him after he's attacked. Then the digging starts.
The three men have something in common. Seventeen years ago, they attempted a bank job in Sault Ste. Marie that went horribly wrong. A cop showed up to do his banking & before it was all over, one robber was dead, one got away, these three were caught & the cop was shot. The get away driver who escaped was never identified & the cop ended up in a wheelchair. His daughter is now running for senator & the whole thing is being dredged up by the press.
Into the investigation stumbles Lucy Navarro. She works for a tabloid & what she lacks in experience she makes for in persistence. Although she's less than forthcoming, David takes a shine to her & is more than a little worried when she disappears.
In alternating chapters, we meet Anthony Lark, the man responsible for the growing pile of bodies. We know from the start he's the killer but it's only as the story progresses we learn about him & his motivation.
As Elizabeth & david come at the investigation from different perspectives, the names of influential people start to pop up, making them wonder who is really behind the whole mess. David focuses on finding Lucy while Elizabeth leads the local detective squad. And before long she begins to think her colleagues in Sault Ste. Marie aren't telling her all they know.
The plot is extremely complex with twists & hidden agendas everywhere. But it never feels muddled. Instead the author leads you through, slowly revealing clues & alliances that will alter what you thought you knew, as more details come to light. Not everyone is who they say they are & when old relationships are uncovered it completely changes the focus of the investigation.
This is a smart, taut, well written thriller that will keep you on your toes. Once I started, I didn't want to put it down because I just had to know how it would end. We know the identity of the killer from the get go but that didn't diminish the tension at all as we realize there is a much larger & far reaching conspiracy at work.
The prose is clean & uncluttered. It flows so well that the pages fly by, pulling you into the story. The characters are fully realized & whether you like them or not, they feel real. You may also be surprised by how your feelings about some of them do a complete 180 by the end.
This is a book that sucks you right in. The fast pace action is complimented by subtle clues & surprising twists. Add a clever plot & compelling cast & you've got an entertaining read that keeps you guessing 'til the end. ( )
  RowingRabbit | Sep 14, 2014 |
I guess I am with the masses at 4 stars. The plot is interesting with a vast array of characters and a vast array of murders.. It reads easy and there are a satisfying series of plot twists. But the author rehashes events from earlier in the book too much - (How many times do we have to hear about that bank robbery 17 years ago? Yes, I know no one could identify the driver) Don't get me wrong, it really is a good mystery and will read the author's first book but it was a tad long. (400 pages+) ( )
  muddyboy | Sep 14, 2012 |

Belongs to Series

Für meine Mutter und meinen Vater
In meinem Büro hängt eine Halskette, eine Kette aus Glasperlen.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Harry Dolan's book Very Bad Men was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Harry Dolan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,645,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible