Close Your Eyes by Amanda Eyre Ward

Close Your Eyes

by Amanda Eyre Ward

I was listening to this book while I painted a few rooms in a house right off of Maplewood. And that was awesome. ( )
  usefuljack | May 17, 2013 |
  usefuljack | May 17, 2013 |
Did not quite live up to my expectations. The book is divided about equally between two characters' stories, which, of course, are connected in the end. The plot was not particularly intricate or surprising, but perhaps the main reason I feel apathetic toward the book is that I did not fully engage with the characters, especially Lauren, who is somewhat helpless (shutting out her memories of the past - one memory in particular - she is unable to move into the future). At least Sylvia is taking action to get out of the rut she has been in. I would not warn anyone away from this book, but I would probably recommend something else instead.

"My emotions hadn't caught up with the circumstances." (247) ( )
  JennyArch | Apr 3, 2013 |
This book was a huge disappointment. The characters were pretty flat and the plot predictable. I gave it two stars only because I was motivated to finish it. The murder at the center of the story should have been solved at the time it was committed. There was no real development of the characters - rather just a flat narrative. Jumping around in time only made it confusing and was an unnecessary gimmick. ( )
1 vote dablackwood | Oct 31, 2011 |
Close Your Eyes is the story of Lauren and Alex Mahdian, two young children, asleep in their backyard tree house the night their mother is murdered. Their father is convicted of the murder and Alex becomes all that Lauren has left, her security and roots and family. Lauren seems to be living at the edges of life, squeaking by with a job as a realtor and with a loveable, but goofy and out-of-work boyfriend. One day Alex, shockingly, tells Lauren that he believes their father is innocent, and then departs for a Doctors Without Borders assignment in Iraq and Lauren begins to come unraveled. As she grapples with strange and terrifying dreams of the night her mother was killed, Alex goes missing in Iraq and her need for answers becomes unbearable.

The pacing of the plot in Close Your Eyes is incredibly well done and you will definitely find yourself frantically turning pages to see what happens. The tension builds until you are so tempted to just read the last page that it requires an almost physical effort not to. The character development gets a little lost in all the rushing forward. Lauren and Gerry have such a sweet, uncomplicated relationship, more history and depth about how that came about would have made it feel more believable. The ending, while surprising, seemed too convenient for such an intricate beginning. Lauren deserved more than a tidy ending with all the corners tucked in. While Close Your Eyes isn't up to Amanda Eyre Ward's usual standards, it is a fast-paced, entertaining, easy read. ( )
  frisbeesage | Aug 17, 2011 |

Struggling for closure years after her mother is murdered by her father, Lauren Mahdian analyzes her carefully constructed memories only to realize the role of her own denial, a process that illuminates the impact of split-second choices.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,612,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible