Close Your Eyes by Amanda Eyre Ward

Close Your Eyes

by Amanda Eyre Ward

I can’t say I loved this book, but it kept me turning pages and I stayed up late to finish it. It was an OK story told fairly well. It was full of one of my pet peeves; naming every object in the room, especially brand names. Like a weird cross between product placement and fetish in a way that guarantees it won’t even be readable to anyone in a few years. ( )
  bongo_x | Dec 28, 2014 |
I was listening to this book while I painted a few rooms in a house right off of Maplewood. And that was awesome. ( )
  usefuljack | May 17, 2013 |
  usefuljack | May 17, 2013 |
Did not quite live up to my expectations. The book is divided about equally between two characters' stories, which, of course, are connected in the end. The plot was not particularly intricate or surprising, but perhaps the main reason I feel apathetic toward the book is that I did not fully engage with the characters, especially Lauren, who is somewhat helpless (shutting out her memories of the past - one memory in particular - she is unable to move into the future). At least Sylvia is taking action to get out of the rut she has been in. I would not warn anyone away from this book, but I would probably recommend something else instead.

"My emotions hadn't caught up with the circumstances." (247) ( )
  JennyArch | Apr 3, 2013 |
This book was a huge disappointment. The characters were pretty flat and the plot predictable. I gave it two stars only because I was motivated to finish it. The murder at the center of the story should have been solved at the time it was committed. There was no real development of the characters - rather just a flat narrative. Jumping around in time only made it confusing and was an unnecessary gimmick. ( )
1 vote dablackwood | Oct 31, 2011 |

Struggling for closure years after her mother is murdered by her father, Lauren Mahdian analyzes her carefully constructed memories only to realize the role of her own denial, a process that illuminates the impact of split-second choices.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,272,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible