Wildflower Hill by Kimberley Freeman

Wildflower Hill (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Kimberley Freeman

Member:bookofsecrets
Title:Wildflower Hill
Authors:Kimberley Freeman
Info:Touchstone (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 544 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:historical fiction, women's fiction, contemporary fiction, Australia, Tasmania, family drama

Wildflower Hill by Kimberley Freeman (2011)

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (KimarieBee)
    KimarieBee: Family secrets
    The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton (fueledbycoffee)
    fueledbycoffee: Family secrets, past present timelines, strong amazing women, stories of substance.
    A Woman of Substance by Barbara Taylor Bradford (silva_44)
    silva_44: The character Beattie from Wildflower Hill is incredibly similar to Emma in A Woman of Substance. Both women face daunting circumstances but strive for excellence despite many severe setbacks.

This is a real saga of a book (over 500 pages) telling the story of Beattie Blaxland. Her tale is a bit of a rags to riches one and the major part of this book focuses on the rags bit and how she came to have a farm called Wildflower Hill in Tasmania. In amongst this is the story of her granddaughter, Emma, a prima ballerina. As Emma deals with a big blow in her life, she ends up finding out more about her grandmother's early life.

I liked this book and found it to be a really easy read, although I didn't like it quite as much as Kimberley Freeman's second book, Lighthouse Bay. Beattie's parts of the story were much more engaging than Emma's but that may have been because those bits formed the majority of the book. Beattie herself was a strong heroine and I liked her a lot and rooted for her all the way through. A very enjoyable tale. ( )
  nicx27 | Apr 27, 2015 |
Wildflower Hill is a gorgeous novel that I read two years ago now and absolutely fell in love with. It's so beautifully written and leaves you guessing the entire novel. I wish there was more to it, because I loved the characters (asdfgkl CHARLIE ( )
  Tarklovishki | Oct 31, 2014 |
I thought this story was absolutely excellent! At first, I thought I'd be irritated with the switching back and forth between generations, but I wasn't at all. Like the cover states, it reminds me very much of Kate Morton's writing---but cleaner. That's not to say it's totally clean...but I wasn't super uncomfortable reading it. For a couple weeks before, and all during the time I read this, I'd been frustrated with my 2-year-old, Kynthia, for waking me up early every.single.morning. to "be with me". Oh how I treasure those times now after reading this heartbreakingly wonderful story! ( )
  lostinavalonOR | Jun 6, 2014 |
In life when does following your dreams get in the way of what is really important in life? Wildflower Hill by Kimberley Freeman is a beautiful literary fiction book of two woman, 2 different woman in a family, a grandmother (Beatie) and granddaughter (Emma) who both have plans for their lives at young ages, but have two different bumps in the road. Beatie is 18 years old dreaming of a life of comfort with her fashion designs, but then finds herself pregnant with a married man's child. While Emma at 31 hurts her knee so that her dreams of dancing come to a crashing point. When Emma is returns home to her mom across the world from England she is sent to clean up her grandmother's old sheep farm, Wildflower Hill. During her stay Emma is packing up packages and finding out that there are mysteries in her family that her grandmother hid very well...

Not going to lie I never heard of this book and a close friend of mine went on and on about so I picked it up. At first I was interested by the fact there was romances and that the cover was well, shiny. Once I started to read I got so involved with the characters and how Ms Freeman wrote the book. I would get so dedicated to one character's side only to have the narrative switch. The writing is beautiful, the characters are heart wrenching, and the readers will keep wanting more. I really liked this book and will probably reading some literary fiction for a little bit because of the mood this book left me in :) ( )
  ottilieweber | Apr 24, 2014 |
This novel is a great read for a quiet weekend filled with hot tea and an empty agenda. It has an almost dreamy quality at times, especially when we are carried back into the past with Beattie.

The story will mean different things for different people and I think it will depend on generation and life experiences. I identified strongly with Beattie and loved her as a character almost from the very beginning. I had a harder time embracing Emma.

Emma to me is a typical example of the millinial generation. She is very confident and goal driven. She is traveling on a one way road that is her idea of success and fulfillment, until the she takes a mistep and has to reroute her life.

Beattie is almost the complete opposite. Although she had youthful dreams of fashion design she was more heavily influenced by all the people and events in her life. She made room for people on her journey. She did attain success and fulfillment but it was a winding road filled with painful challenges, roadblocks and detours.

Angelina-Justice | Feb 3, 2014 |

Kimberley Freemanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ina Bakke KickstatTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
for Janine, who is precious
The girl danced.

Emma Blaxland-Hunter, a prima ballerina from London, must re-evaluate her life after doctors declare her knee unfit for dancing. At the behest of her mother, Emma returns home to Sydney, where she discovers her affluent and loving grandmother, Beattie Blaxland, has left her an inheritance: Wildflower Hill, an old sheep farm in Tasmania. When Emma settles in temporarily to clean out Wildflower Hill and sell it, she discovers a photo of her grandmother with a mysterious child.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,525,368 books! | Top bar: Always visible