Wildflower Hill by Kimberley Freeman

Wildflower Hill (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Kimberley Freeman

Member:bookofsecrets
Title:Wildflower Hill
Authors:Kimberley Freeman
Info:Touchstone (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 544 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:historical fiction, women's fiction, contemporary fiction, australia, family drama

Wildflower Hill by Kimberley Freeman (2011)

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (KimarieBee)
    KimarieBee: Family secrets
    The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton (fueledbycoffee)
    fueledbycoffee: Family secrets, past present timelines, strong amazing women, stories of substance.
    A Woman of Substance by Barbara Taylor Bradford (silva_44)
    silva_44: The character Beattie from Wildflower Hill is incredibly similar to Emma in A Woman of Substance. Both women face daunting circumstances but strive for excellence despite many severe setbacks.

Loved it! ( )
  swade79 | Aug 28, 2016 |
I read this because:
it was recommended to me by Goodreads based on my "favourites" shelf
it has a high rating
I loved the title

This book was extremely boring. I liked the first little bit of the book as told from Beattie's point of view. The chapters were long and filled with nothing.

This story goes back and forth between Beattie and her granddaughter, Emma. It starts off with Beattie as a young woman in the 1920's and follows her to Wildflower Hill. After her grandmother's death, and her career-ending injury, Emma has found she has inherited Wildflower Hill. ( )
  jenn88 | Feb 14, 2016 |
Awesome! So good I could not put it down! ( )
  LiteraryChanteuse | Jan 27, 2016 |
Wildflower Hill by Kimberley Freeman is a beautifully written novel that moves back and forth in time between modern-day and 1920s-50s Great Britain and Australia, following the lives of Beattie Blaxland and her granddaughter, Emma.

While the modern-day component of the story is compelling -- after a career ending injury, Emma is forced to rediscover herself -- it is Beattie's narrative that makes this novel shine. Beattie's story captures the reader's interest right from the opening chapters, when, as a young pregnant woman forced by her mother out of her home, she follows her married lover to Australia to start a new life. Beattie's life in Australia is anything but ordinary. While she experiences great joys, Beattie must also deal with tremendous heartache. Through it all she never gives up and her strength of character and perseverance ultimately lead her to achieve great success in business, an inspiring feat considering she lived in a world still very much dominated by men.

In almost all aspects, Wildflower Hill is a novel reminiscent of those written by Kate Morton, and I've seen several "If you love Kate Morton, you'll love this..." references to it. As a huge fan of Kate Morton's works, I think the comparison is valid. While not as atmospheric as Morton's writing, Freeman's narrative technique, style and themes are similar to those found in Morton's novels. In addition, like Morton, Freeman has created characters and plot lines that leave the reader eager to keep turning the pages.

In short, I was completely captivated by this novel and had a difficult time putting it down. Indeed, Wildflower Hill has earned a place on my list of favourites. I'm very much looking forward to hearing more from Kimberley Freeman. ( )
  Melissa_J | Jan 16, 2016 |
This is a real saga of a book (over 500 pages) telling the story of Beattie Blaxland. Her tale is a bit of a rags to riches one and the major part of this book focuses on the rags bit and how she came to have a farm called Wildflower Hill in Tasmania. In amongst this is the story of her granddaughter, Emma, a prima ballerina. As Emma deals with a big blow in her life, she ends up finding out more about her grandmother's early life.

I liked this book and found it to be a really easy read, although I didn't like it quite as much as Kimberley Freeman's second book, Lighthouse Bay. Beattie's parts of the story were much more engaging than Emma's but that may have been because those bits formed the majority of the book. Beattie herself was a strong heroine and I liked her a lot and rooted for her all the way through. A very enjoyable tale. ( )
  nicx27 | Apr 27, 2015 |

Kimberley Freemanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ina Bakke KickstatTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
for Janine, who is precious
The girl danced.

Emma Blaxland-Hunter, a prima ballerina from London, must re-evaluate her life after doctors declare her knee unfit for dancing. At the behest of her mother, Emma returns home to Sydney, where she discovers her affluent and loving grandmother, Beattie Blaxland, has left her an inheritance: Wildflower Hill, an old sheep farm in Tasmania. When Emma settles in temporarily to clean out Wildflower Hill and sell it, she discovers a photo of her grandmother with a mysterious child.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,266,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible