Demon High: Young Adult Urban Fantasy by…

Demon High: Young Adult Urban Fantasy (edition 2011)

by Lori Devoti (Author)

243652,696 (4)None
Member:TheLibraryhag
Title:Demon High: Young Adult Urban Fantasy
Authors:Lori Devoti (Author)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), 312 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading, Paranormal Library, Young Adult Library

Demon High by Lori Devoti

Lucinda lives with her Nana in a falling down house. It's the family home and neither one can imagine moving, but one day Lucinda reads a letter from the bank - they owe back taxes and the house is in disrepair and in danger of being condemned. While Nana disappears to 'talk to people', Lucinda comes up with a plan to save the house.

Lucinda's family are Demonologists - Demon Callers. Well, some of them are. Nana's mother was and Lucinda's mother is...was... Nana refuses to let Lucinda even talk about it. It's dangerous work and addicting. Lucinda's mom disappeared years ago while calling demons.

Lucinda knows she can make money off calling demons. She calls on her ex-friend, Brittany. Brittany acquires things for college kids, in return she gets to hang out with them. The girls strike a deal: Brittany will get paying customers, Lucinda will call up a fairly harmless demon, keep it controlled, dismiss it and then they split the pay.

It seems like a great plan...it always does...but of course there are issues. So now there are demons roaming the halls at Caldera High and, even worse, Lucinda might be falling in love with one of them.

A pretty good story, although I felt let down by the ending. I can only assume that there will be a sequel to answer all my questions. I think that part of my letdown might be because I'm a big fan of Kim Harrison's adult series The Hollows. That involves demon calling and all the details...this one wasn't quite as good, but then this is YA, not adult. :) Lucinda really starts to come across as fascinating and tough, but never really makes it there. Brittany is a little more interesting and one of the demons is pretty good. I hope that there is a second book and that the characters get fleshed out more. ( )
  SevsOnlyGirl | Apr 26, 2011 |
We all know the scenario: character (in this case, a teenaged girl) decides to summon a demon: disaster ensues. The adventure lies in how this demon-summoning-disaster tale is different from all other demon-summoning-disaster tales, and Devoti delivers in wonderful and unexpected ways. From the very first, she weaves in details that add depth: for example, our heroine's mother was also a demon-caller but got addicted to it; much of adolescence is about risk, so the lure and danger of demon-calling itself, apart from how treacherous and vile the demons themselves are, becomes a recurrent theme on many levels. Devoti's characters are no cardboard cut-outs, neither the humans nor the demons. Some of them grow, often painfully, and others fall into the "more will be revealed" category. All in all, the sensitivity and thoughtfulness, plus more than a few fascinating twists, make this a satisfying reading experience for adults as well as teens. ( )
  rosstrowbridge | Apr 7, 2011 |
Lucinda Dent can call demons, just like her mother could. But with it, one can also become addicted to the power it takes to call them. Her mother has been gone for ten years, sucked into hell by a demon, and all Lucinda has left is her grandmother and the house she grew up in.

Lucinda teams up with an old friend and together they set up business, calling demons. But soon things go terribly wrong.
Demons are loose in Caldera High, and not only is Lucinda responsible, she just might be in love with one of them. Can love conquer all or is Lucinda about to lose everything--her home, her new love, and her soul?

Holy shit, where's the sequel?!

I have to admit it was the cover that initially drew me to the book as I am a cover artist second to being a writer. The photo interested me, but at the same time I thought: "Man this needs a new cover design and better font." Lol.

Beyond the cover, the story is more interesting then I thought it would be. I've read other urban fantasies that were more about demons than the other supernatural creatures that one usually finds cluttered in such books. But this was a nice find. I paid my $.99 cents for the e-book and disappeared in my room to read.
By the time I finished reading and looked over at the clock it was 4:30AM! I hadn't even noticed the time slipping by.

Its got a nice bit of dark grit and shows that demons are not to be trifled with or trusted, despite their pretty faces. Truly a great read. Now...I just don't want to have to wait for a sequel! ( )
  Astariel | Mar 10, 2011 |

Lori Devoti is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,859,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible