Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch

Whispers Under Ground

by Ben Aaronovitch

Series: Peter Grant (3)

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Jannes)
    Jannes: For all your "supernatural secrets in the London underground" needs.
    A Madness of Angels: Or, the Resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Offbeat magicians in London

English (53)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (55)
This is the third installment in this series about police officer and sorcerer's apprentice Peter Grant, and I have to say I'm really enjoying how the story is starting to fill out. Some of the storylines from the first book, including the ubiquitous presence of the river gods and goddesses, continue to develop, but each new book introduces characters and scenarios that are unique as well. Although there was some legitimate danger here (nobody can feel good about the possibility of being buried alive), one thing I like about these tales is that they unfold with tension, but without fear or menace. Aaronovitch delves into the history of London, and creates a history of magical practice that works really well, creating believability while keeping the story entertaining. I have a few tiny quibbles with some grammar and editing errors, which I find distracting, but overall I enjoyed this one, and I'm looking forward to the next. ( )
  karenchase | Aug 20, 2015 |
Although Lesley May is back on the job (and doing quite well, thank you) this installment is much less inspired than the first two. There is still good narration snark and attitude, but Peter Grant seems fatigued. And deservedly so; but still... That shouldn't slow down the story. The audio reader gets kudos as well. Very nice job. ( )
  2wonderY | Jul 20, 2015 |
In which Aaronovitch continues to develop his world, with the core of the story being a murder that is (at the risk of giving a spoiler) rather less than it seems at first, but which allows more examination of the ins and outs of policing in this London. I'm not sure the female FBI agent participating in the shenanigans was really necessary, but it does allow Aaronvitch more opportunities to deploy his knack for writing witty dialogue. ( )
  Shrike58 | Jun 4, 2015 |
Really enjoying this series. ( )
  gregandlarry | Mar 13, 2015 |
When a body is found stabbed to death at the far end of Baker Street tube station, it seems like an ordinary murder. The victim is an exchange student at Central St. Martins named James Gallagher and his father is an American senator. The Folly have been called in to assist with the investigation and it is quickly discovers that there is a supernatural component to this crime. This case leads Peter Grant into the secret underground that lies underneath the streets of London.

Peter Grant is back in the third book in the series, still a sorcerer’s apprentice to Inspector Nightingale. The Folly, which is the police department that specialises in the supernatural has grown to three, as Lesley May officially joins the team. Yet again this is a natural progression in the series, Peter doesn’t know many spells and still struggles with his form but he has grown as a police officer, a wizard and a person. What I enjoyed about Whispers Under Ground is the character Dr Abdul Haqq Walid is explored in greater detail. He is a world renowned gastroenterologist and cryptopathologist who works with the Folly and is investigating how magic effects the world. This allows Ben Aaronovitch to build his world a bit more and explores the effects of magic.

While this is an urban fantasy series, it follows the tropes found in a police procedural and Peter Grant never just relies on his magical abilities but rather sticks to his strengths, which he learned from his training. There is a lot of investigational work within the series and sometimes I worry that the police procedural elements will over power the urban fantasy or humour, however Aaronovitch gets the balance right.

If you have not read the series, I would highly recommend it mainly because of the character development, in particular Peter Grant and Nightingale. Peter Grant is a biracial character (his mother is from Sierra Leone and I am pretty sure his father is white) and his heritage and life play a big part in shaping him. This also allows Ben Aaronovitch to play a little with racism but I feel like he handles the whole subject well. Inspector Nightingale is a prim and proper Englishman and the last officially sanctioned English Wizard, having gone to a now defunct private school for wizardry allows for plenty of Harry Potter jokes.

This is a fun series that I am completely immersed in; when I finished Whispers Under Ground I didn’t want to leave the world. I started Broken Homes (which is book four) straight away, which is unusual for me but I needed to know what happened next. For fans of urban fantasy, police procedurals and British humour, I highly recommend the Peter Grant series, I do not think you will be disappointed.

This review originally appeared on my blog; http://literary-exploration.com/2015/02/25/whispers-under-ground-by-ben-aaronovi... ( )
1 vote knowledge_lost | Feb 26, 2015 |

Ben Aaronovitchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Knowles, PatrickCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walter, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I would say to them as they shook in their fear,

"Now what is your paltry book,

Or the Phidian touch of the chisel's point,

That can make the marble look,

To this monster of ours, that for ages lay

In the depths of the deaming earth,

Till we brought him out with a cheer and a shout,

And hammer'd him into birth?"

—"The Engine," Alexander Anderson
In memory of Blake Snyder (1957-2009) who not only saved the cat but the writer, the mortgage and the career as well.
Back in the summer I'd made the mistake of telling my mum what I did for a living.

When the son of a wealthy, politically powerful family is found dead, London constable and sorcerer's apprentice Peter Grant investigates this case, which is linked to a rogue magician known as the Faceless Man--and which takes him deep within the deadliest subway system in the world.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,152,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible