Whispers Underground by Ben Aaronovitch

Whispers Underground (edition 2012)

by Ben Aaronovitch

Member:gsusie4
Title:Whispers Underground
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch
Info:Del Rey (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***

Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Jannes)
    Jannes: For all your "supernatural secrets in the London underground" needs.
    A Madness of Angels: Or, the Resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Offbeat magicians in London

English (67)  Dutch (1)  All languages (68)
This is the second book that I've read in this series and I intend to read them all, something that I do not usually do. While the plots are inventive, it is really the sly and amusing tone of the books that I love the most. This time I listened to the audiobook and I thought that the narrator was absolutely perfect. I also enjoyed the little snippets of jazz between chapters. ( )
  fhudnell | Aug 26, 2016 |
Despite not being a big fan of fantasy, I love this series which combines magic with a police procedural. It looks like there are still four more books in this series so I should be good for a while.

Peter Grant, the London police constable who discovered he could sense magic in the first book of the series, is being trained by Inspector Nightingale to perform magic. Nightingale is a wizard who is much older than he looks. He is one of the few wizards left after World War II. Nightingale and Grant and now Lesley May (another police constable who was badly hurt in one of the previous books) all live in the Folly where Molly looks after them and the house. Molly is some kind of magical creature who is also a great cook. Peter is still an active member of the constabulary so he is called in on cases which seem "different". When an American is found dead in Baker Street station in the middle of the night having bled to death from an attack further down the subway line, there is just enough of an off flavour for Inspector Stephanopoulos to call Peter in. Sure enough Peter senses magic on the murder weapon which was a broken piece of pottery. Thus Peter, Lesley and Nightingale are called in to assist with the murder inquiry. Because the victim was an American the FBI sent an agent to observe how the Metropolitan Police Force handle the investigation. Agent Kimberley Reynolds has some difficulty remaining as an observer and turns up in the most unexpected places. Of course this means she sees magic and other things she probably shouldn't see. Is this going to blow the cover off the subtle British handling of magical occurences? Read the book and find out. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 2, 2016 |
These are good light reading, and as well as enjoying that they are set in places I know I also appreciate the geeky roleplaying gamer references that have crept into this volume. ( )
  jmkemp | Jul 5, 2016 |

I am really enjoying this series of occult detective stories set in contemporary London. This is a straightforward murder investigation of an American student who fell into bad company, except that the company is seriously strange and the student turns out to have had political connections back home. I like the way Aaronovitch continues to peel back the onion layers of multicultural London's hidden communities; I didn't think he handled the American elements quite as well, but that's not the story he's telling. Great fun - perhaps funnier and less grim than previous books in the series - and I look forward to the next one. ( )
  nwhyte | Jun 18, 2016 |
READ IN ENGLISH

In Peter Grant's third adventure, the ethically challenged wizard apprentice detective constable is quite literally driven to the dark depths of London as he is trying to solve the murder on the son of an American senator which may involve some weird shit (e.g. Magic)...

I'm not too familiar with Urban Fantasy, but from what I've heard this is a nice example, as it really blends the fantasy-bits in with the more believable London. I enjoyed it for sure! It is written in such a witty style, making you laugh out loud on the train - and thus being looked at as if there was something wrong with me. It also involves quite some references! (You can never put to many in a book!). And now, all that's left is to wait till the new book is published... ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |

Ben Aaronovitchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Knowles, PatrickCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walter, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I would say to them as they shook in their fear,

"Now what is your paltry book,

Or the Phidian touch of the chisel's point,

That can make the marble look,

To this monster of ours, that for ages lay

In the depths of the deaming earth,

Till we brought him out with a cheer and a shout,

And hammer'd him into birth?"

—"The Engine," Alexander Anderson
In memory of Blake Snyder (1957-2009) who not only saved the cat but the writer, the mortgage and the career as well.
Back in the summer I'd made the mistake of telling my mum what I did for a living.

When the son of a wealthy, politically powerful family is found dead, London constable and sorcerer's apprentice Peter Grant investigates this case, which is linked to a rogue magician known as the Faceless Man--and which takes him deep within the deadliest subway system in the world.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,393,673 books! | Top bar: Always visible