Whispers Underground by Ben Aaronovitch

Whispers Underground (edition 2012)

by Ben Aaronovitch

Member:gsusie4
Title:Whispers Underground
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch
Info:Del Rey (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***

Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Jannes)
    Jannes: For all your "supernatural secrets in the London underground" needs.
    A Madness of Angels: Or, the Resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Offbeat magicians in London

English (63)  Dutch (1)  All languages (64)
READ IN ENGLISH

In Peter Grant's third adventure, the ethically challenged wizard apprentice detective constable is quite literally driven to the dark depths of London as he is trying to solve the murder on the son of an American senator which may involve some weird shit (e.g. Magic)...

I'm not too familiar with Urban Fantasy, but from what I've heard this is a nice example, as it really blends the fantasy-bits in with the more believable London. I enjoyed it for sure! It is written in such a witty style, making you laugh out loud on the train - and thus being looked at as if there was something wrong with me. It also involves quite some references! (You can never put to many in a book!). And now, all that's left is to wait till the new book is published... ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Peter Grant once looked forward to a police career made of boring paperwork, but then he discovered magic. Now he's apprenticed to Inspector Nightingale, the last known British mage, and has more excitement than he can handle. The latest case: an American art student is found dead on the railroad tracks, and the murder weapon has a whiff of magic to it. Before he knows it, Peter is tracking pottery smugglers and slogging through sewers, all while trying to keep his supernatural ability hidden from his co-investigator, an enigmatic FBI agent.

Lots of subtle build-up of the magical community here. In the first book, the only magic seemed to be in Nightingale's Folly, but by now we've gotten a hint of magicians from all over the world, plus beings and magic systems hidden in London that even Nightingale did not know about. I think there might be something cool going on with Lesley's face--the half-goblin seemed fascinated by it. Perhaps magical people see it not as a barely healed mask, but as something beautiful or powerful? And I'm looking forward to seeing more of the Little Crocodiles plot. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Whispers Under Ground is less poignant than its predecessor and longer on humor. I particularly enjoy Peter Grant’s constant sly references to the rest of the fantasy universe, from Pratchett to Tolkien, as well as Aaronovitch’s clear delight in the confusing world of police acronyms…half of which I’m convinced he has invented. ( )
  TadAD | Feb 16, 2016 |
I borrowed this from a colleague after realising that I finished book two in 2012 and haven't been keeping up with the series. I like Peter Grant, particularly his running commentary on London and architecture, but I'm not exactly bowled over by the magical aspect, as evidenced by the fact that I took four years to chase up the next instalment. Ghosts, fine, magical pottery people living underground, not so much. Also, there is a distinct Raymond Chandler quality to the plotting of these novels, in that subplot upon subplot is introduced until all I'm left hanging onto is the witty narration and returning cast of characters. So if the same colleague lends me book four, I'm all for reading on, but otherwise - meh. ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Jan 30, 2016 |
It's ridiculous how much I love this series. The conceit in this installment used the knowledge of the London underground and also interesting bits of anthropology and art. Also the good things from previous installments. Peter Grant is still ridiculous and sarcastic and I enjoy his voice. But he's starting to grow into his role as a wizard and even reconcile his practice with science and technology while working on becoming as disciplined as his mentor wants him to be. On the one hand,I want to go get the next book immediately, but once I run out what am I going to read? ( )
  ewillse | Jan 18, 2016 |

Ben Aaronovitchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Knowles, PatrickCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walter, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I would say to them as they shook in their fear,

"Now what is your paltry book,

Or the Phidian touch of the chisel's point,

That can make the marble look,

To this monster of ours, that for ages lay

In the depths of the deaming earth,

Till we brought him out with a cheer and a shout,

And hammer'd him into birth?"

—"The Engine," Alexander Anderson
In memory of Blake Snyder (1957-2009) who not only saved the cat but the writer, the mortgage and the career as well.
Back in the summer I'd made the mistake of telling my mum what I did for a living.

When the son of a wealthy, politically powerful family is found dead, London constable and sorcerer's apprentice Peter Grant investigates this case, which is linked to a rogue magician known as the Faceless Man--and which takes him deep within the deadliest subway system in the world.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,848,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible