Whispers Underground by Ben Aaronovitch

Whispers Underground (edition 2012)

by Ben Aaronovitch

Member:gsusie4
Title:Whispers Underground
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch
Info:Del Rey (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***

Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Jannes)
    Jannes: For all your "supernatural secrets in the London underground" needs.
    A Madness of Angels: Or, the Resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Offbeat magicians in London

English (73)  Dutch (1)  All (74)
Set a year after the first book. The university background finally explains the architecture expertise. I liked this slightly better than the last one, there were more wisecracks, and Leslie is back. A lot of self-aware humor about LOTR (Elvish) and HP. In this one the magic aspect just seems like the main flavoring, but the meat and bones of this is solid police/crime/mystery fiction. (I'm sure there's an exact word for this subgenre but I'm new.) In some parts it reminded me of Janet Evanovich (don't judge) in that with each sequel the author had to find a way to reintroduce all of the characters in a way that would being completely new readers up to speed, but not bore everyone else who already read the previous books. That's not an easy feat I think.

In this one we meet more of the River ladies (Effra, Olympia and Chelsea), get better acquainted with Fleet, and both male and female Tyburns make an appearance.

At one point Peter seems to have unintentionally either magicked himself a few centuries back in time, or got knocked out enough to speak to a long dead spirit. If you stop and think about all this and try to work it out, you'll just feel stupefied, so best just let all of this wash over you and just go for the feel of it and don't mind sorting it out.

I appreciate that this one didn't have too many sexy scenes-- in fact only one and barely. Actually, not even. Realizing I enjoy a little sexual or romantic tension in my detective fiction but I don't like them relieving themselves every few chapters.

A little sad Dr. Wallid didn't have a lot of screen time here. He reminds me of the old doctor in the original CSI. I still mentally chuckle a little bit about his joke about bile.

The unofficial team Folly picked up a few more characters: Kumar, Abigail. (Molly will always be my favorite though.) Who is Madam Teng? I'd like to find out about the Faceless Magician soon and have that resolved already. I can only be teased for so long before losing interest. And suddenly there's a talking fox? I miss Beverly, I hope she's back in the next one. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
I finished this installment of this series still waiting for something spectacular to happen...or maybe just something to happen. Not much in the way of action compared to the first 2 books in the series but a good read none the less.
  Tamsin17 | Jun 11, 2017 |
Magic-investigating and magician's apprentice Peter Grant, detective constable to boot, this time around investigates the magical murder of the US son of a senator in an underground train station. It has something to do with magical pottery, and art, and various semi-secret magical factions in London. Grant's travels take him to various locations, most notably in the sewers, abandoned train stations and secret tunnels underground, where he finds an entirely new, entirely underground race of people, "the quiet people", which hold the key to unlocking the murder.

The above paragraph barely scratches the surface of a labyrinthine plot, which is at times hard to follow. But it doesn't really matter, as the wordplay is so clever and funny, and the little set pieces of magic and magical people are so fun to read.

As always, this is a delight of a novel - witty, exciting, weird, immersive, and I am itching to read the next in the series. ( )
  RachDan | Feb 23, 2017 |
Unlike some series that become boring and repetitive, this supernatural police series just improves with age. Normally this type of fantasy fiction is so out of my wheel house that I wouldn't even pick it up, but a recommendation from a friend helped me discover this talented author.
This magical branch of the London Metropolitan Police, fights unusual acts of crime, with a very small force of special police officers. I love the humor interjected throughout and maybe that's why I enjoy them so much, or it could be the great writing.
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |

Ben Aaronovitchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Knowles, PatrickCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walter, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I would say to them as they shook in their fear,

"Now what is your paltry book,

Or the Phidian touch of the chisel's point,

That can make the marble look,

To this monster of ours, that for ages lay

In the depths of the deaming earth,

Till we brought him out with a cheer and a shout,

And hammer'd him into birth?"

—"The Engine," Alexander Anderson
In memory of Blake Snyder (1957-2009) who not only saved the cat but the writer, the mortgage and the career as well.
Back in the summer I'd made the mistake of telling my mum what I did for a living.

When the son of a wealthy, politically powerful family is found dead, London constable and sorcerer's apprentice Peter Grant investigates this case, which is linked to a rogue magician known as the Faceless Man--and which takes him deep within the deadliest subway system in the world.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,183,865 books! | Top bar: Always visible