Whispers under ground by Ben Aaronovitch

Whispers under ground (edition 2011)

by Ben Aaronovitch

Member:andyl
Title:Whispers under ground
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch (Author)
Info:London : Gollancz, 2012.
Tags:fantasy

Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch

Neverwhere: A Novel by Neil Gaiman (Jannes)
    Jannes: For all your "supernatural secrets in the London underground" needs.
    A Madness of Angels: Or, the Resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Offbeat magicians in London

English (61)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (63)
I borrowed this from a colleague after realising that I finished book two in 2012 and haven't been keeping up with the series. I like Peter Grant, particularly his running commentary on London and architecture, but I'm not exactly bowled over by the magical aspect, as evidenced by the fact that I took four years to chase up the next instalment. Ghosts, fine, magical pottery people living underground, not so much. Also, there is a distinct Raymond Chandler quality to the plotting of these novels, in that subplot upon subplot is introduced until all I'm left hanging onto is the witty narration and returning cast of characters. So if the same colleague lends me book four, I'm all for reading on, but otherwise - meh. ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Jan 30, 2016 |
It's ridiculous how much I love this series. The conceit in this installment used the knowledge of the London underground and also interesting bits of anthropology and art. Also the good things from previous installments. Peter Grant is still ridiculous and sarcastic and I enjoy his voice. But he's starting to grow into his role as a wizard and even reconcile his practice with science and technology while working on becoming as disciplined as his mentor wants him to be. On the one hand,I want to go get the next book immediately, but once I run out what am I going to read? ( )
  ewillse | Jan 18, 2016 |
This is the third part of the fantastic Rivers of London trilogy (so far) which sees Peter Grant, apprenticed to the Wizard, Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, investigating a murder on the London Underground. The story also sees a welcome return of Lesley who was notably absent in the last instalment following her injuries in book one and more of the wonderful Thames sisters (although I’d have liked more of them!).

Peter, Lesley and Nightingale – together with various members of the Metropolitan and Belgravia Police and Sergeant Jaget Kumar from the British Transport police investigate the death of a US senator’s son found on the tracks of the London Underground. The murder weapon appears to be a segment of pottery which exhibits traces of vestigia – a magical property meaning the supernatural is involved. The investigation takes them underground, not only into the tube system but also into the sewers beneath the city where they discover more than just a killer…

I have loved all three books of this series and this instalment doesn’t fail to deliver. Aaronovitch is a born story-teller and this has a fantastic mix of drama and humour. I think I said this about book 1, but when reading this it was like I could see a BBC Sunday night production playing out in my head. I'm looking forward to part 4! ( )
  Bagpuss | Jan 17, 2016 |
I love, love, love this series! Peter's narrative just keeps getting better and better. He is salty, snarky, gritty and self-deprecating. A London cop at its finest with the procedures and sarcastic banter between all the departments.

This is the dry British wit I love so much, and that's why even if the plot is somewhat one-dimensional in Whispers Under Ground, the quality of the writing doesn't suffer at all.

Most of the plot is concentrating in the Underground tunnels and the sewers of London, but the book is still full of character and gives you interesting tidbits of information about the city.

Nightingale is disappointingly absent most of the time, but Leslie is as ballsy and sarcastic as ever, and she flaunts her disfigured face. A clever, brilliant girl, whom I can't help but admire.

There is an FBI agent who helps and at the same time hinders Peter, but she comes around in the end. There are also new magical creatures, artistic jealousy and unknown magic wielders from foreign lands.

Vague? Yep. But exciting! I'm keeping my mouth shut about the particulars of the plot, because you really need to read the whole series yourself to appreciate this little gem. Highly recommended!

kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I am truly enjoying this series - another great book! Looking forward for the next on to be released as an audiobook.

This one really started rounding out the characters and letting more people into the Folley, something that I though really needed to be done from the second book on. I think one whole story could be written on the Maid/Houseperson Mollie, she is a pretty good enigma, would be neat to have her story told as a subplot throughout a future book, but who knows, might already be in the works. ( )
  Mindslayer | Nov 18, 2015 |

Ben Aaronovitchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Knowles, PatrickCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walter, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I would say to them as they shook in their fear,

"Now what is your paltry book,

Or the Phidian touch of the chisel's point,

That can make the marble look,

To this monster of ours, that for ages lay

In the depths of the deaming earth,

Till we brought him out with a cheer and a shout,

And hammer'd him into birth?"

—"The Engine," Alexander Anderson
In memory of Blake Snyder (1957-2009) who not only saved the cat but the writer, the mortgage and the career as well.
Back in the summer I'd made the mistake of telling my mum what I did for a living.

When the son of a wealthy, politically powerful family is found dead, London constable and sorcerer's apprentice Peter Grant investigates this case, which is linked to a rogue magician known as the Faceless Man--and which takes him deep within the deadliest subway system in the world.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,189,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible