Whispers under ground by Ben Aaronovitch

Whispers under ground (edition 2011)

by Ben Aaronovitch (Author)

1,200726,680 (4.05)192
Member:andyl
Title:Whispers under ground
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch (Author)
Info:London : Gollancz, 2012.
Tags:fantasy

Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch

Recently added bycctesttc1, RachDan, ktoonen, private library, OwenRochester, tamaranth, beth42, pscindy
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Jannes)
    Jannes: For all your "supernatural secrets in the London underground" needs.
    A Madness of Angels: Or, the Resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Offbeat magicians in London

English (71)  Dutch (1)  All (72)
Magic-investigating and magician's apprentice Peter Grant, detective constable to boot, this time around investigates the magical murder of the US son of a senator in an underground train station. It has something to do with magical pottery, and art, and various semi-secret magical factions in London. Grant's travels take him to various locations, most notably in the sewers, abandoned train stations and secret tunnels underground, where he finds an entirely new, entirely underground race of people, "the quiet people", which hold the key to unlocking the murder.

The above paragraph barely scratches the surface of a labyrinthine plot, which is at times hard to follow. But it doesn't really matter, as the wordplay is so clever and funny, and the little set pieces of magic and magical people are so fun to read.

As always, this is a delight of a novel - witty, exciting, weird, immersive, and I am itching to read the next in the series. ( )
  RachDan | Feb 23, 2017 |
Unlike some series that become boring and repetitive, this supernatural police series just improves with age. Normally this type of fantasy fiction is so out of my wheel house that I wouldn't even pick it up, but a recommendation from a friend helped me discover this talented author.
This magical branch of the London Metropolitan Police, fights unusual acts of crime, with a very small force of special police officers. I love the humor interjected throughout and maybe that's why I enjoy them so much, or it could be the great writing.
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
Another fine comic fantasy, the third in the Peter Grant series. I'll admit that some of the British words and phrases baffled me at first. I know what a Ford Focus is, for example. I used to own one. But why does Peter refer to his as an 'Asbo'? I looked it up. Now I know (sort of). There were others, most of which I knew, probably because I lived in England for a while as a kid, my favorite novelists and Brits, and I watch Doctor Who... but I know a lot of my fellow countrymen (USA) will probably be asking WTF a lot when they read this. But read it they should. The stories about a young detective assigned to the 'magic' branch of the London constabulary are a hoot. The characters are engaging, the plots are not overly absurd (for fantasy), and the pacing is quite good. If you liked the other Peter Grant stories, you'll like this one too. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
Ah, Peter. What am I going to do with you?

Don't get me wrong, I love Aaronovitch's ability to create atmosphere. He describes London in such great length and succinct detail that I'm there, looking up at the grey sky, battling the traffic and queueing with the rest of them. I appreciate his ability to seamlessly add magic to this urban fantasy world and do it with dry wit and self-deprecating British humour all the while.

... but can we talk about Peter Grant? Oh my god, Peter, can you not be a problematic dick for like five minutes? Let's talk about the treatment of your female partner, shall we? Y'know what? I'm gonna rant and add a spoiler for those who haven't read the other two books in the series.

Or, more specifically, could you not talk about her face? Yeah, sure, it melted off. Fucking deal with it, mate. She went through this whole traumatic event and has to deal with constantly being reminded every single day of what happened to her. A few weeks with her family in Essex isn't going to fix that, and the fact that you think she looks ugly and sometimes can't stand to look at her just makes me want to throw up in my mouth a little bit. So stop drawing attention to it, stop undermining her and suck it up.

And while you're fucking at it, stop objectifying her and her body. She's a better copper, a better magician and a better person than you by far.

... spoiler aside, I can see why people find Peter Grant problematic now, and I'm sorry I didn't see it sooner. I love the series and I love the characters but Peter's behaviour will be the only reason I wait till I pick up the next book.

(Anyone for a Lesley May spin-off series? She's incredible. I adore her to bits.)

It's a solid addition to the series, but I am tired of your shit, Peter Grant.
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
This is the second book that I've read in this series and I intend to read them all, something that I do not usually do. While the plots are inventive, it is really the sly and amusing tone of the books that I love the most. This time I listened to the audiobook and I thought that the narrator was absolutely perfect. I also enjoyed the little snippets of jazz between chapters. ( )
  fhudnell | Aug 26, 2016 |

Ben Aaronovitchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Knowles, PatrickCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walter, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I would say to them as they shook in their fear,

"Now what is your paltry book,

Or the Phidian touch of the chisel's point,

That can make the marble look,

To this monster of ours, that for ages lay

In the depths of the deaming earth,

Till we brought him out with a cheer and a shout,

And hammer'd him into birth?"

—"The Engine," Alexander Anderson
In memory of Blake Snyder (1957-2009) who not only saved the cat but the writer, the mortgage and the career as well.
Back in the summer I'd made the mistake of telling my mum what I did for a living.

When the son of a wealthy, politically powerful family is found dead, London constable and sorcerer's apprentice Peter Grant investigates this case, which is linked to a rogue magician known as the Faceless Man--and which takes him deep within the deadliest subway system in the world.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,506,567 books! | Top bar: Always visible