Cirkeln by Mats Strandberg
Authors:Mats Strandberg
Other authors:Sara Bergmark Elfgren
Info:Stockholm : Pocketförlaget, 2012

The Circle by Mats Strandberg (Author)

English (11)  Swedish (2)  German (1)  All languages (14)
Om du inte redan har läst Engelsforstrilogin är det definitivt hög tid att göra det i sommar! /Maria N

Kolla om boken finns att låna på skolbiblioteket: http://selma.pedc.se/record=b1216059~S8*swe ( )
  latinbib | May 19, 2015 |
This is the first book in a long, looong time that I found that is
1.) centred more or less exclusively on female teenaged characters,
2.) whose main plot isn't a love plot,
3.) who don't get raped.
This is so incredibly rare it really bears mentioning (Seriously. Try thinking of more examples of books that fit these characteristics). And it is a Fantasy book! Of course there are love plots, but they are a part of the story and have usually been established before the plot - teenage witches coming to terms with their powers - starts.

The different girls don't all differ that much from each other, but after some time were believable enough to be interested in. I'm definitely considering Finisheding the sequels.

I don't understand why this book has been compared so widely to completely unconnected books simply because the authors are also Swedish when what we have here is a mix between Charmed with a bit of the Buffy scooby cast thrown in. Set in Sweden, though, sure. It most certainly doesn't have the least bit to do with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and as far as I'm concerned is a better book for that, because grittiness and female characters doesn't always have to be about sexual abuse. ( )
  Mothwing | Jan 4, 2015 |
When I first got this book and I all I can think of was,” Wow dude! This book is HUGE!” It took me two-three days to read. Not because it was big but because I had a hard time getting into characters and the plot.

Plot: This plot is about several different characters being called by a council and coming into their powers. My problem with this plot is that it has SOOO much going. There is not one chance for the reader to be relaxed in one character cause once you get settle in, the plot moves again. The plot also moves very slowly when it comes to their powers and why they have them. It’s like one minute they show powers and the next the plot moves again. For me, I got annoyed by this. I wanted to explore more instead of once again moving to another character.

Characters: There are several different characters that this story tells. I can’t name them all but I’m sure there are more than 6 characters that the reader is jumping between. And to be honest, I did not like this. There are a lot of story lines, a lot of minor characters to know. This is the one main reason why I read this book so slow. There is a lot to know and well if your not paying attention you can miss out on stuff.

Ending: The book ends with nothing really much explain. Instead the reader is left with lots of questions. There were only about two characters that I really latched onto and wanted to know.

This is an okay book. Be sure that if you decided to pick up this book that you dedicate time to it cause it will make you think. You have to read it slowly and take in each character carefully. If you think that your going to read it and fly right through it then you will only be left confused. Overall, it’s good. I think if the authors slow down the story and explored other storylines instead of creating others, I might have enjoyed it more. ( )
  Bookswithbite | Feb 20, 2014 |
Fans of paranormal young adult novels are going to gobble up THE CIRCLE. There are multiple characters offering multiple point of view. Some characters you will love and others, well.... It is a story that will grab you and take you on an adventure. There is thrill, depth in characters and an original story. It captures what is like to be a teen and captures what is great about this genre. I look forward to more in the series and I would love to see this made into a movie. 4 stars. ( )
  Mrsmommybooknerd | Jan 24, 2014 |
Almost four stars but not quite, sometimes the characters blurred a bit. However it was good to see characters that didn't change radically when they gained power, it was grief that changed some of the characters more.

Six teenagers are drawn together in a small town in Sweden, there should be seven but one is dead, of an apparent suicide. When another dies they have to find out what's going on, why have they suddenly manifested paranormal powers and what's going to happen to them.

It's interesting, I liked the gritty realism of it and man, no-one is safe in these stories. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jan 10, 2014 |

Strandberg, MatsAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bergmark Elfgren, SaraAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

On a night after the apparent suicide of high school student Elias Malmgren, a blood-red moon fills the night sky. Minoo wakes up outside her house, still in her pajamas, and is drawn by an invisible force to an abandoned theme park on the outskirts of town. Soon five of her classmates--Vanessa, Linnea, Anna-Karin, Rebecka and Ida--arrive, compelled the same force. A mystical being takes over Ida's body and tells them they are fated to fight an ancient evil that is hunting them. The park is a safe haven; the school, a place of danger. The six are wildly different and definitely not friends...but they are the Chosen Ones. As the weeks pass, each girl discovers she has a unique magical ability. They begin exploring their powers, but they are not all firmly committed to their mission--to discover the truth about Elias's death. Then a horrible tragedy strikes within the circle. Newly determined to fight the evil forces, they begin to learn magic from The Book of Patterns, an ancient work with a will of its own that reveals different things to different witches. In this gripping first installment of the Engelsfors Trilogy, a parallel world emerges in which teenage dreams, insanely annoying parents, bullying, revenge, and love collide with flirtation, dangerous forces, and ancient magic. An international sensation with rights sold in 24 countries, The Circle is razor-sharp and remarkable from start to finish.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,964,781 books! | Top bar: Always visible