Cirkeln by Mats Strandberg

Cirkeln (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Mats Strandberg, Sara Bergmark Elfgren

Member:biblo62
Title:Cirkeln
Authors:Mats Strandberg
Other authors:Sara Bergmark Elfgren
Info:Stockholm : Pocketförlaget, 2012
Collections:2012

The Circle by Mats Strandberg (Author) (2011)

English (15)  Swedish (2)  German (1)  All (18)
The Circle is a Swedish YA Fantasy by Mats Strandberg and Sara Elfgren that is the first in their Engelsfors Trilogy about a group of witches. A handful of diverse teens find that they are witches and in the near future they will be engaging in battle with a terrible evil. In the time before the battle they need to identify their strengths, practise their magic and, the most difficult task, bond together in trust. Of course they are not left alone to develop their skills, someone or something is hunting them and kills two of them before they realize that they must also hunt this evil down.

Even with a fair amount of teen angst about the opposite sex, family issues, fitting in and being popular, I still was completely swept up in this story. At almost 600 pages, it is quite detailed, and by the end of the first book they have only scratched the surface of whatever evil is about to emerge. What I found most engaging were the characters, each of the five remaining girls have a distinct personality and a distinct magical skill. Based on the elements of water, metal, earth etc., they are individually strong but when they join together, almost invincible.

I will certainly be continuing on with this trilogy as not only was I captivated by the darker fantasy elements, I also enjoyed the author’s handling of the teen issues like body image, suicide, grief, bullying and friendship that are explored. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Mar 3, 2017 |
Den var mycket bättre än jag någonsin kunnat förvänta mig. Kommer deffinitivt att läsa fortsättningen i trilogin! ( )
  Hessius | Dec 4, 2016 |
A group of high school witches vs THE evil. Nothing new or interesting here, it's a typical YA, but the well made up and written story and characters make the book a very enjoyable reading. ( )
  TheCrow2 | May 21, 2016 |
In the little town of Engelsfors, powers awaken in seven high school students. But even as they explore their new abilities, a malevolent force hunts them, one by one.

Lev Grossman wrote a blurb describing this as "The Circle is Twilight by way of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo," which is the best proof anyone could need that he's a hack who doesn't actually read the books he references. The only resemblance between Twilight and the Circle is that they're both written for a YA audience, and the only resemblance between TGWTDT and The Circle is that they were written in Swedish. The Circle is actually more like The Craft crossed with [b:The Casual Vacancy|13497818|The Casual Vacancy|J.K. Rowling|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1358266832s/13497818.jpg|19926990]. Some of the witches have crushes or relationships, but the focus of this book is on the claustrophobic feeling of a small town with a depressed economy and a high school riddled with cliques. To some of the witches, their powers offer them a way out--Anna-Karin finally has a way to not only protect herself against the bullies who have made her life hell, but turn the tables on them. But for most of the witches, having powers changes nothing at all. And for one, it makes matters far worse.

I was impressed at how quickly each of the characters distinguished themselves. I found the first chapter or so confusing, but from then on had no difficulty telling each of the (many) main characters apart. I loved seeing all the facets of their lives, the differences between their school personas and their home selves and their inner personalities. I came to really like each of them (except Ida, ugh, but I gotta respect an author who's brave enough to have at least someone that unlikable), even though the book doesn't shy away from showing their selfish, narrow-minded, or foolish moments. And I really liked the friendships that developed between some of them. They felt like real friendships, not just opportunities for witty banter.

The magic in this isn't what I'm used to; I expected wand waving or sympathetic magic and instead got rituals that use spit and gooey ectoplasm.

The adult characters in this book are fascinating. The school janitor declares himself the witches' protector, but he can't remember enough to actually help them, and there are hints that he comes from a far-off time. I liked the twist on the magic Council--interfering busybody bureaucrats I'm used to, but after all the threats I was as surprised as the witches when it turned out the Council was far less powerful and knowledgeable than it pretended. And I liked that the Big Bad wasn't pure evil, but had his own reasons for action.

I look forward to the next in the series! ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Om du inte redan har läst Engelsforstrilogin är det definitivt hög tid att göra det i sommar! /Maria N

Kolla om boken finns att låna på skolbiblioteket: http://selma.pedc.se/record=b1216059~S8*swe ( )
  latinbib | May 19, 2015 |

Strandberg, MatsAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bergmark Elfgren, SaraAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Ze wacht op een antwoord, maar Elias weet niet wat hij moet zeggen.

On a night after the apparent suicide of high school student Elias Malmgren, a blood-red moon fills the night sky. Minoo wakes up outside her house, still in her pajamas, and is drawn by an invisible force to an abandoned theme park on the outskirts of town. Soon five of her classmates--Vanessa, Linnea, Anna-Karin, Rebecka and Ida--arrive, compelled the same force. A mystical being takes over Ida's body and tells them they are fated to fight an ancient evil that is hunting them. The park is a safe haven; the school, a place of danger. The six are wildly different and definitely not friends...but they are the Chosen Ones. As the weeks pass, each girl discovers she has a unique magical ability. They begin exploring their powers, but they are not all firmly committed to their mission--to discover the truth about Elias's death. Then a horrible tragedy strikes within the circle. Newly determined to fight the evil forces, they begin to learn magic from The Book of Patterns, an ancient work with a will of its own that reveals different things to different witches. In this gripping first installment of the Engelsfors Trilogy, a parallel world emerges in which teenage dreams, insanely annoying parents, bullying, revenge, and love collide with flirtation, dangerous forces, and ancient magic. An international sensation with rights sold in 24 countries, The Circle is razor-sharp and remarkable from start to finish.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,502,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible