Cirkeln by Mats Strandberg
Authors:Mats Strandberg
Other authors:Sara Bergmark Elfgren
Info:Stockholm : Pocketförlaget, 2012
Collections:2012

The Circle by Mats Strandberg (Author)

English (9)  Swedish (2)  German (1)  All languages (12)
When I first got this book and I all I can think of was,” Wow dude! This book is HUGE!” It took me two-three days to read. Not because it was big but because I had a hard time getting into characters and the plot.

Plot: This plot is about several different characters being called by a council and coming into their powers. My problem with this plot is that it has SOOO much going. There is not one chance for the reader to be relaxed in one character cause once you get settle in, the plot moves again. The plot also moves very slowly when it comes to their powers and why they have them. It’s like one minute they show powers and the next the plot moves again. For me, I got annoyed by this. I wanted to explore more instead of once again moving to another character.

Characters: There are several different characters that this story tells. I can’t name them all but I’m sure there are more than 6 characters that the reader is jumping between. And to be honest, I did not like this. There are a lot of story lines, a lot of minor characters to know. This is the one main reason why I read this book so slow. There is a lot to know and well if your not paying attention you can miss out on stuff.

Ending: The book ends with nothing really much explain. Instead the reader is left with lots of questions. There were only about two characters that I really latched onto and wanted to know.

This is an okay book. Be sure that if you decided to pick up this book that you dedicate time to it cause it will make you think. You have to read it slowly and take in each character carefully. If you think that your going to read it and fly right through it then you will only be left confused. Overall, it’s good. I think if the authors slow down the story and explored other storylines instead of creating others, I might have enjoyed it more. ( )
  Bookswithbite | Feb 20, 2014 |
Fans of paranormal young adult novels are going to gobble up THE CIRCLE. There are multiple characters offering multiple point of view. Some characters you will love and others, well.... It is a story that will grab you and take you on an adventure. There is thrill, depth in characters and an original story. It captures what is like to be a teen and captures what is great about this genre. I look forward to more in the series and I would love to see this made into a movie. 4 stars. ( )
  Mrsmommybooknerd | Jan 24, 2014 |
Almost four stars but not quite, sometimes the characters blurred a bit. However it was good to see characters that didn't change radically when they gained power, it was grief that changed some of the characters more.

Six teenagers are drawn together in a small town in Sweden, there should be seven but one is dead, of an apparent suicide. When another dies they have to find out what's going on, why have they suddenly manifested paranormal powers and what's going to happen to them.

It's interesting, I liked the gritty realism of it and man, no-one is safe in these stories. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jan 10, 2014 |
Fab YA fantasy

A derelict fairground and an ancient prophecy, a shocking and suspicious suicide at school and six girls drawn together one dark and stormy night.

Such a familiar (if enticing) setup means it's all down to the execution and rest assured that's all good. It's not a quick, fast paced flash bang of a story though. It’s meaty and rich, with multiple flawed characters you will need to get to grips with and then fall for. A slow burner of a story that gently draws you then builds and builds until tension oozes off the page. It's dark enough for teenagers to lap this up but may give some adults pause. Ok I didn't love it (not a fan of YA) but I still had a lot of fun reading it.

It does have some faults, I think the translation Americanised it so to my (UK) ears I struggled for a while to get a sense of place and one of the girls (Ida the bully) barely makes it to two dimensions as do some of the adults but the rest is all good. It is the 1st in an unfinished trilogy too but it manages to have a great plot and be cool piece of world building. Plus I think the 3rd is due out Sweden this year.

Strongly recommended for YA lovers and anyone else who wants an engaging fantastical read. ( )
  clfisha | Jun 4, 2013 |
Authors
Sara B. Elfgren started her career in the film industry as a screenwriter. As a script doctor, she has been involved in several Swedish film and TV-productions. The Circle is her debut novel. Mats Strandberg is an author and a journalist. He is a regular columnist for Sweden’s biggest evening newspaper Aftonbladet and 2004 the organization Sveriges Tidskrifter (Sweden’s Newspapers and Magazines) awarded him the title Columnist of the Year. Mats Strandberg has previously released three books, of which the third one, Half Lifes was awarded Book of the Year 2009 by QX.

Review
This review is going to be as hard to write as this book was to leave in the bookstore. I am not a paranormal YA reader. I try them sometimes when I see people cheer over a book and usually get annoyed very fast and put it down. When I first saw this book I was like oww pretty cover but it is paranormal YA so I am not even going to give it a try. Plus honestly I have not seen this book around the YA blogs I follow so if it is not on their radar it must be nothing... but it had such a pretty cover and the story could be good... and the cover..
Yeah you guess right. I put the book on my Christmas list in the end and finally came around to read it. My first reaction.. Hello pretty cover. My second reaction ... He! this was not an awful YA book where parents seem nonexistent and teenagers seem like wild drunken drugged sex monsters. Do not get me wrong, the teenagers in this book do have sex (though not really explicit), they drink and there is also drugs in the story but it is not a common factor. Plus they live with parents who do ask questions about their weird behavior and have normal parent child interactions. That was actually very pleasant.
The story itself is slow. There is a lot of tension implied but there is not really a big explosion. Still the tension makes that you want to continue reading. There is a lot of pain and loss and sad in this book and it is very well described making it easy to be pulled in the dark emotions that are running trough the story. The story is told from different point of views but this was not really disturbing. I actually felt that we missed a few and would have liked to know more about Ida and Linnéa.
The main group of characters could have been any six girls from any high school. Though they grew up together and know each other they are not the best friends and some even are enemies. They have to work on their differences to get trough the situations but it does not come natural. You get to see inside their head and their fears and doubts are honest and normal. This makes it very easy to connect with the girls. What I did feel sorry about was the fact the only guy left so soon. I think it could have been nice to have a guy in the group. Now it is six girls and though they are from various personality types they are girls.
The paranormal stuff did not really impress me though. I am not sure if it had to do with the way their powers developed or the way things where explained but it did not really have the magic feel some paranormal books can have. ( )
  Ciska_vander_Lans | Mar 30, 2013 |

Strandberg, MatsAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bergmark Elfgren, SaraAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

On a night after the apparent suicide of high school student Elias Malmgren, a blood-red moon fills the night sky. Minoo wakes up outside her house, still in her pajamas, and is drawn by an invisible force to an abandoned theme park on the outskirts of town. Soon five of her classmates--Vanessa, Linnea, Anna-Karin, Rebecka and Ida--arrive, compelled the same force. A mystical being takes over Ida's body and tells them they are fated to fight an ancient evil that is hunting them. The park is a safe haven; the school, a place of danger. The six are wildly different and definitely not friends...but they are the Chosen Ones. As the weeks pass, each girl discovers she has a unique magical ability. They begin exploring their powers, but they are not all firmly committed to their mission--to discover the truth about Elias's death. Then a horrible tragedy strikes within the circle. Newly determined to fight the evil forces, they begin to learn magic from The Book of Patterns, an ancient work with a will of its own that reveals different things to different witches. In this gripping first installment of the Engelsfors Trilogy, a parallel world emerges in which teenage dreams, insanely annoying parents, bullying, revenge, and love collide with flirtation, dangerous forces, and ancient magic. An international sensation with rights sold in 24 countries, The Circle is razor-sharp and remarkable from start to finish.… (more)

1 wanted5 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,125,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible