Roadfood by Jane Stern

Roadfood (1977)

by Jane Stern, Michael Stern

Recently added byrglossne, private library, jr864, cschajer, Rockhopper11, polarmath, ACrain

I choose this book to review because I travel often and want to eat someplace besides the normal fast food joints. I often see places along my travels that look interesting to eat, but not that I chance eating at with out some type of prior knowledge. This book gives me that.
The book lists the eateries by geographic location and state. It gives the physical address and a couple of paragraphs about each place. It has all types of food so if you want to have a sit down dinner or a quick bite to go.
I will be consulting this book as I continue my travels and look forward to trying out some new places to eat. I was also pleased to see some familiar places from my home state as well as some new ones to try.
"I received this book for free from Blogging for Books for this review." ( )
  polarmath | Jul 18, 2014 |
Another good reference book for those who travel. Contains references that will help locate the best BBQ, burgers, chicken and other local favorites. I call it a " Micky-d " avoidance resource. It lives on Kindle, so it precludes RV clutter. ( )
  buffalogr | Jan 10, 2014 |
If the book isn't enough you can see more on the www.roadfood.com website which continues the search for and celebration of fast but real food, for road trips and armchair travellers across the USA. Many of the entries offer regional specialities such as Mississippi catfish, Maine lobster, Texas barbecue and the great country bakeries of the agricultural mid-west. Amazon reviews are full of comments from people who say that are obvious omissions or better examples of a particular genre but for those travelling with no contacts or prior knowledge this, and other books by the authors, give some exciting finds which would otherwise be missed.
  Carrie.deSilva | Aug 28, 2011 |
Find regional specialties, out-of-the-way diners and culinary gems with the help of the Sterns guide to all things gastronomic.
  4fish | Jul 28, 2011 |
Simply the best guide to the greasy spoons of America.
  speaker43 | Mar 11, 2011 |

Jane Sternprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stern, Michaelmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Roadfood by Jane and Michael Stern is
“a cross-country culinary guide that should be stashed in every food lover’s glove compartment.”—People magazine

Now in its sixth edition, Roadfood has been called “a bible for motorists seeking mouth-watering barbecue or homemade pie” by USA Today. This indispensable guide is bigger and better than ever, covering nearly 600 of the country’s best local eateries from Maine to California. With more than 175 completely new listings and updates of old favorites, the new Roadfood offers an extended tour of the most affordable, most enjoyable dining options along America’s highways and back roads.

Filled with enticing alternatives for chain-weary travelers, Roadfood provides vivid descriptions and regional maps that direct readers to the best lobster shacks on the East Coast; the ultimate barbecue joints down South; the most indulgent steak houses in the Midwest; and dozens of top-notch diners, hotdog stands, ice-cream parlors, and uniquely regional finds in between. Each entry delves into the folkways of a restaurant’s locale as well as the dining experience itself, and each is written in the Sterns’ entertaining and colorful style. A cornucopia for road warriors and armchair epicures alike, Roadfood is a road map to some of the tastiest treasures in the United States.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:33 -0400)

Your indispensable guide to America's best local eateries! With up-to-date information on restaurants' hours of operation, phone numbers, and websites, you will never go hungry on the road or get lost finding the best off-the-highway gems.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,159,870 books! | Top bar: Always visible