Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley

Where Things Come Back (original 2011; edition 2011)

by John Corey Whaley

Member:EdGoldberg
Title:Where Things Come Back
Authors:John Corey Whaley
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2011), Hardcover, 240 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Cullen, Gabriel, Benton, Lazarus woodpecker, Lucas, Cabot

Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley (2011)

Interesting debut novel which takes a while to get going. This is the story of Cullen who lives in a small town in Arkansas with his younger brother Gabriel and best friend Lucas. The book opens with a great first scene of Cullen having to identify his junkie cousin Oslo's dead body.
From there the book takes a weird turn, suddenly catapulting us to Ethiopia where another young man struggles to find himself as a missionary. So what is the connection? All will be eventually revealed and, I must admit I guessed what was going on.
Into the town comes a birdwatcher who claims to have seen a long extinct woodpecker called the Lazarus. Cue every business person in the town trying to cash in on it. Then, Cullen's brother Gabriel disappears and the book is devoted to Cullen's musings on whether or not his brother is dead.
For older readers due to mild swearing and Cullen sleeping with 2 different girls; there is also a lot of reference to religion which may put off some readers but is crucial to the plot. SPOILER ALERT: think Cullen's brother's name and that of a certain archangel and you will quickly work out what has happened. Thought provoking. ( )
  nicsreads | Mar 23, 2016 |
Simply put, this book is boring. Jasper Jones had a unique story that I think will pull teens in, this book does not. It drags, and drags, and drags. The content is also quite appalling. That's not necessarily a deal breaker for me, but in this case it just seemed so senseless. I won't be recommending this one. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
I really liked this latest Prints winner. Pithy with great voice and story...and some really funny parts. Ashlen and I read this together. Ashlen made me do all the reading because the mc swears a lot. She cracks me up! ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
Page 202 WTF
Page 206 OMG This actually makes sense. It works. I think the author might pull this off.
Page 228 (The last page) Oh sh**!!! And yes, I said "oh sh**" out loud when I read the last page. ( )
  CommunityLibrarian | Nov 26, 2015 |
For Anita Cooper, teacher and friend
I was seventeen years old when I saw my first dead body.

Seventeen-year-old Cullen's summer in Lily, Arkansas, is marked by his cousin's death by overdose, an alleged spotting of a woodpecker thought to be extinct, failed romances, and his younger brother's sudden disappearance.

135 wanted4 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,990,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible