Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley

Where Things Come Back (original 2011; edition 2011)

by John Corey Whaley

Member:EdGoldberg
Title:Where Things Come Back
Authors:John Corey Whaley
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2011), Hardcover, 240 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Cullen, Gabriel, Benton, Lazarus woodpecker, Lucas, Cabot

Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley (2011)

I really liked this latest Prints winner. Pithy with great voice and story...and some really funny parts. Ashlen and I read this together. Ashlen made me do all the reading because the mc swears a lot. She cracks me up! ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
Page 202 WTF
Page 206 OMG This actually makes sense. It works. I think the author might pull this off.
Page 228 (The last page) Oh sh**!!! And yes, I said "oh sh**" out loud when I read the last page. ( )
  CommunityLibrarian | Nov 26, 2015 |
So Cullen's brother Gabriel disappears but no one is paying it any mind b/c of a sighting of the Lazarus Woodpecker; a bird that was last seen in the 1940s. Cullen finds himself getting angrier and angrier and having a lot of difficulty coping. His parents and best friend Lucas aren't doing much better. The story alternates between Cullen and the story of Benton a missionary and his college roommate. It takes a very long time for the two stories to come together and I was just never able to get into the missionary story line. I also felt like towards the end when the stories finally come together, your emotions are played with and then the ending is just anticlimactic.

This one was just not for me. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

This one was just not for me. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
For Anita Cooper, teacher and friend
I was seventeen years old when I saw my first dead body.

Seventeen-year-old Cullen's summer in Lily, Arkansas, is marked by his cousin's death by overdose, an alleged spotting of a woodpecker thought to be extinct, failed romances, and his younger brother's sudden disappearance.

135 wanted4 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,073,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible