A Study in Sherlock: Stories Inspired by the…

A Study in Sherlock: Stories Inspired by the Holmes Canon

by Laurie R. King (Editor), Leslie S. Klinger (Editor)

Other authors: C. Alan Bradley (Contributor), Tony Broadbent (Contributor), Jan Burke (Contributor), Lionel Chetwynd (Contributor), Lee Child (Contributor)12 more, Neil Gaiman (Contributor), Laura Lippman (Contributor), Gayle Lynds (Contributor), Jerry Margolin (Contributor), Phillip Margolin (Contributor), Margaret Maron (Contributor), Thomas Perry (Contributor), S.J. Rozan (Contributor), John Sheldon (Contributor), Dana Stabenow (Contributor), Charles Todd (Contributor), Jacqueline Winspear (Contributor)

4132739,941 (3.55)1 / 28
This stellar anthology of 16 new short stories that pay homage to the great detective includes whodunits by S.J. Rozan, Phillip and Jerry Margolin, Colin Cotterill, and Charles Todd. Other contributors include Lee Child, Neil Gaiman, Laura Lippman, Margaret Maron, and Jacqueline Winspear.

English (26)  Piratical (1)  All languages (27)
A good set of stories; Stabenow, the Todds, Child, Winspear, Maron and Bradley were very good. ( )
  jamespurcell | Sep 17, 2018 |
These aren't straight pastiches, but I love that about it. But it has the same problem that plagues short story collections; some stories you like, some stories you don't. I like Neil Gaiman's (and that story actually was a pretty straightforward pastiche, if a little... Neil Gaiman-y), and the collection did introduce me to some mystery writers I have heard about but haven't read yet (like Alan Bradley, Dana Stabenow, and Jacqueline Winspear) who did pretty decent stories. The one story that I hated was the comic by Colin Cotterill, but only because it wasn't my sense of humor at all. What is my sense of humor? I have been told that I'm "the funny one" and also that I don't have a sense of humor at all. HAHAHA!!! ( )
  Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |
Very much a mixed bag of stories. I had already read the one by Neil Gaiman, and it remains my favorite of this collection. I wound up abandoning several stories partly finished, especially toward the end of the book. ( )
  duchessjlh | Feb 2, 2018 |
I'm not a huge fan of short stories, but if there's one area where I'm going to like them, it's detective stories. This collection seems like a real mixed bag to me - some are quite good, others just never get anywhere. ( )
  Lindoula | Sep 25, 2017 |
The first few stories are a bit slow and dry. Some others are okay. But Neil Gaiman's "A Taste for Honey" makes the book worth the purchase price. ( )
  DarleneCypser | May 30, 2017 |

Stabenow, DanaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Todd, CharlesContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Winspear, JacquelineContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cotterill, ColinContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Introduction: Only true genius can produce an invention, or a hero, that fills a gaping hole in our lives we never knew - never even suspected - was there.

Laurie R. King is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,770,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible