Songs of the Earth by Elspeth Cooper

Songs of the Earth (original 2011; edition 2013)

by Elspeth Cooper

208780,302 (3.51)1 / 7
Member:AlistairM
Title:Songs of the Earth
Authors:Elspeth Cooper
Info:Tor Fantasy (2013), Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages

Songs of the Earth by Elspeth Cooper (2011)

English (6)  Dutch (1)  All languages (7)
Songs of the Earth: The Wild Hunt Book 1 is a book which says as much about the times in which we live as it does about the wonderfully-created imaginary world Gair lives in. I am always perplexed by readers who choose to focus on genre before even considering the quality of writing and plotting, because, for me, if the writing takes me into a world I can believe in, I don't mind which world it is that I'm reading about, because, for me, when I'm reading it, that world is real.

And this is what Elspeth Cooper does. She takes me, effortlessly, into a parallel universe, a universe of danger, of bigotism, of hypocritical organised religion, where anything which doesn't conform is frowned upon. There are many universal truths in here, and their strength lies in the fact that they come from the mouths of the characters, not from the narrator. And they're not just truths about politics or religion; they're about the pain and pleasure of love, the excitement of discovering new things, be they within us or in the world around us. And Cooper's world is a magical one.

Some passages left me breathless with their beauty, some breathless with sadness and regret; others just let me soar beyond troubles or cares. I can't wait to start the second part of this trilogy. ( )
  Jawin | Jul 22, 2018 |
Religious persecution against those with magic. Yes that always brings forth emotions in me. They are the perfect baddies, sitting in their cold towers preaching about salvation and hunting innocents with magic in their blood, even if those loves the Goddess just as much as the rest.

We got Gair, our hero, who is being tortured because he has magic. A good hero who finds his own way, friends and love down the road that is this book. He never loses faith either, something that is not easy after what he has been through. But he does does wonder what he really is.

Still what I liked most was the story. We had our Spanish inquisition, they had theirs; going after those who heard the song. There are even fundamentalists in the desert that they are fighting. A world very true to our own in a way. In other ways not to much, they have a one true Goddess, they have magic, and they have a veil that separates other world from theirs. A veil that is breaking, and then all hell will break loose.

A church is always a good bad guy, because we as the reader know that Gair is good and it not to blame for hearing something that is in tune with the earth itself. And as the story progresses I learn more and I do want to read the next book because how can this end well when the world is caught up in their own madness?

Conclusion:
An interesting start to a new series. It is so familiar, yet so different from our own world and that makes it ring more true. I hope book 2 is just as exciting.
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
Got a sample to read on kindle; unfamiliar with author and kinda pricey for ebook at current price of $11.99? Sequel out this month.
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
I went into this book not knowing what to expect and found myself pleasantly surprised; though I did draw comparisons to a favorite book of mine, The Name of the Wind, though Songs was not as detailed as NotW.

I really like the main character Gair. Why did I like him? Hhmmm...first I guess because he was smart enough to know that his magic would get him in trouble so tried to keep it hidden but he still used it. Second, when confronted with a situation that made him uncomfortable or put him in peril, he may have tried to avoid it or reason his way out of it but in the end he would try to do the right thing. I liked the way the powers of people were explained and manifested as well. I'm looking forward to seeing how Cooper continues the story. ( )
  slsmitty25 | Feb 11, 2015 |
First book in 'The Wild Hunt' series. Novice Knight Gair can hear music no one else can, a powerful and beautiful but also terrible music. When he is found out, he is tortured as a witch and exiled. Starved, battered and bleeding he is helped by a mysterious savior who he finds is part of an ancient order of persecuted Guardians of the Veil who can all hear the song. The problem is that the Veil between the real world and a dark Hidden Kingdom is breaking down. Will Gair be able to master his exceptional skills in time to help save humankind?

In many ways a traditional fantasy novel. A bit clunky at times with abrupt scene movements and time changes but overall a good fantasy novel. ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | Mar 8, 2014 |
Voor mijn ouders, die het zaadje hebben geplant.
Hopelijk was het het wachten waard.
De magie dreigde weer los te breken.

Gair is under a death sentence. He can hear music - music with power - and in the Holy City that means only one thing: he's a witch, and he's going to be burnt at the stake. Even if he could escape, the Church Knights and their witchfinder would be hot on his heels while his burgeoning power threatesn to tear him apart from within. There is no hope . . . none, but a secretive order, themselves persecuted almost to destruction. If Gair can escape, if he can master his own growing, dangerous abilities, if he can find the Guardians of the Veil, then maybe he will be safe. Or maybe he'll discover that his fight has only just begun.

The Book of Eador, Abjurations 12:14, is very clear: Suffer ye not the life of a witch. For a thousand years, the Church Knights have obeyed that commandment, sending to the stake anyone who can hear the songs of the earth. There are no exceptions, not even for one of their own.

Novice Knight Gair can hear music no one else can, beautiful, terrible music: music with power. In the Holy City, that can mean only one thing: death by fire—until an unlikely intervention gives him a chance to flee the city and escape the flames.

With the Church Knights and their witchfinder hot on his heels, Gair hasn’t time to learn how to use the power growing inside him, but if he doesn’t master it, that power will tear him apart. His only hope is the secretive Guardians of the Veil, though centuries of persecution have almost destroyed their Order, and the few Guardians left have troubles of their own.

For the Veil between worlds is weakening, and behind it, the Hidden Kingdom, ever-hungry for dominion over the daylight realm, is stirring. Though he is far from ready, Gair will find himself fighting for his own life, for everyone within the Order of the Veil, and for the woman he has come to love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:18 -0400)

Gair is under a death sentence. He can hear music - music with power - and in the Holy City that means only one thing: he's a witch, and he's going to be burned at the stake. Even if he could escape, the Church Knights and their witchfinder would be hot on his heels while his burgeoning power threatens to tear him apart from within. There is no hope... none, but a secretive order, themselves persecuted almost to destruction. If Gair can escape, if he can master his own growing, dangerous abilities, if he can find the Guardians of the Veil, then maybe he will be safe. Or maybe he'll discover that his fight has only just begun...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,801,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible