The Hunting Sketches Bk.1: My Neighbour…

The Hunting Sketches Bk.1: My Neighbour Radilov and Other Stories (1853)

by Ivan Turgenev

English (14)  Dutch (2)  All languages (16)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
i enjoyed this a lot more than i suspected i would. i don't know why, but russian literature is sort of in the big pile of "worthy books i know i ought to read but know i probably never will get round to". that probably says more about me than it should... because these fascinating character sketches, these beautifully crafted vignettes are moving and powerful and really want to make me read the original stories. the reading is a little stilted in places, but somehow the lack of polish makes it more affecting. the worst fear of audio books is that they suffer from some the curse of radio four book at bedtime style worthiness. but because this seems more of a labour of love, there's an intimacy that suits the stories. lovely ( )
1 vote irkthepurist | Nov 3, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It took a big effort to hear this audiobook. It was not as attractive to me as the other audiobook I reviewed, Mumu. How come? The voice of the narrator was more nasal and the intonation too monotonous. Combined with the slightly less interesting stories I just couldn't get the book finished for months. In this case (also contrary to Mumu) I prefer reading the stories myself. I still think it is a good idea to bring out these stories on audio, but with a better voice (sorry, Max Bollinger)! ( )
  jolijtje | Oct 12, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
These short stories relate the interactions between a Russian land owner and his neighbours. I enjoyed them.
These stories were read via an audio book, and while the Russian accent gave the stories a more authentic feel, and I am most grateful that someone else was pronouncing those Russian names, I did find that unless I paid close attention I easily lost the flow of the stories. There were also times where I felt the narrator was reading without understanding as I noticed several errors, (eg: .....I made him a preposition....... , ... he attended versity.....)
Maybe in the car was not the right place to listen to them. ( )
1 vote TheWasp | Jul 11, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Like Mumu, this version of the Hunting Sketches, narrated by Max Bollinger and translated by Constance Garnett, is a polished and professionally narrated work. The accent of Bollinger only adds to the authenticity and makes it stand apart from similar audio books that have ridiculous English accents. I would not I think listen to an audio book unless it was narrated by an indigenous story teller like Bollinger after listening to his previous works. The pace is just right and the pitch is soothing yet not so much as to irritate. I again, recommend another successful Bollinger production, and just like his language books and works of Chekhov, they are unmatched in dependability; who else could pronounce those Russian patronymics so well? Recommended. ( )
1 vote LesMiserables | Jun 25, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have no idea why I asked for this from the early review scheme , I mustn't have noticed the audio book bit or been half asleep, anyway I am looking at it and It is looking at me. I keep on thinking about listening to it but what do I do with my eyes? driving - no will lose concentration on it or the road, using the PC likewise, ditto sewing or gardening. I really must give it a try though and will write this again when I do.
  wendyrey | Jun 8, 2011 |
"Often, the most insignificant things produce more effect on people than the most important." Turgenev expresses his own view through these words of the young nobleman who meets landowner Radilov while shooting gamebirds on his family estate. The impact of the sketches is in the significance with which Turgenev freights simple detail, such as the fly Radilov observes on his dead wife’s eye. Bollinger’s engaging Russian intonation enhances this richly detailed creation of the daily lives of both landowners and serfs on country estates.

Even hunt saboteurs will enjoy the story, in this all-too-brief taste of one of Russia's greatest writers, about Lejeune, a French drummer boy retreating from Moscow with Napoleon's not so Grande Armée. Captured by villagers and all but drowned under river ice, he is rescued by a passing nobleman out hunting. On one condition. Lejeune must teach his daughter to play the piano . . . Now read on.
added by PDSA | editThe Guardian, UK, Sue Arnold (Apr 2, 2001)

Information from the Norwegian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

The first major writing by Turgenev that gained him recognition. The stories in this collection were written based on Turgenev's own observations while hunting at his mother’s estate. This work exposed many injustices of serfdom and led to Turgenev’s house arrest and eventual abolishment of serfdom in Russia. A fine example of realist tradition in Russian literature. Read in English (unabridged)

Turgenev was an enthusiastic hunter; and it was his experiences in the woods of his native province that supplied the material for The Hunting Sketches. They are written from the point of view of a young nobleman who is surprised to find the qualities of intelligence and morality among the peasants who live on his family's estates. Turgenev wrote many novels on this theme to stress his sentiments against serfdom. In his famous novel, Fathers and Sons, he showed the conflict between the older generation, who respect tradition, and the youth, who are Nihilists, relying heavily on materialism, faith in science, and lack of respect for tradition and authority. "A nihilist is a man who does not bow to any authorities, who does not take any principle on trust, no matter with what respect that principle is surrounded."

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Hunting Sketches Bk.1: My Neighbour Radilov and Other Stories by Ivan Turgenev was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,888,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible