Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions by Melissa…

This anthology has a theme of journeys, both actual and virtual. The idea of the anthology came from an author tour including quite a group of YA authors. I like anthologies because they give me a chance to sample authors I haven't yet read and also get new peeks into the world of authors I do read.

New to me authors in this anthology were Claudia Gray who wrote a story about twins who discover that they have psychic gifts, Carrie Ryan who writes a story about sisters trying to survive after an event ends life as they know it, and Jessica Verday who writes a story that includes defanged vampires on their way to a Rocky Horror Picture Show convention.

Kelley Armstrong, Rachel Vincent and Rachel Caine write episodes in their long-running series. Jeri Smith-Ready's story takes the form of a poem about a ghost who needs to make things right before he can move on.

I enjoyed all of the stories in the anthology. I liked that they each had interesting takes on the idea of journeys and that they each had their own emotional signature from funny to scary to romantic. ( )
  kmartin802 | Apr 29, 2018 |
A collection of sf/f stories. Generally these stories are at least solidly crafted, but all too many of them rely on the reader being already familiar with the characters. My favorites were probably "Scenic Route" and "Let's get this undead show on the road."

"Giovanni's Farewell," by Claudia Gray. A teenager is afraid her twin brother is going crazy--but then she sees a ghost, and her reality is shaken. I liked the relationship between the twins, but this story was very short and lightweight.

"Scenic Route," by Carrie Ryan. Margie tries desperately to keep her sister safe and innocent, but it's difficult when they're constantly on the run from zombies. Then another survivor turns up, and Margie has to choose between keeping safe and human contact. I really liked the relationship between the sisters, and the revelation that Sally is able to kill for her family as well. The POV goes from limited to Margie to encompass Calvin for a few paragraphs near the end, and it's a jarring misstep.

"Red Run," by Kami Garcia. Edie hunts the ghost who killed her brother. Nice low-grade spookiness!

"Things about Love," by Jackson Pearce. Seems to be a short story follow-up to another story. In that one, a djinn and a human girl fell in love; in this, a djinn researcher tags along behind the girl's bff to discover what "love" is. I did not like the way the POV switches every couple paragraphs, but the story was fine.

"Niederwald," Rachel Vincent. A monster seeks an audience with the oracle to discover whether she ever gets her ex boyfriend back. It's clearly part of a larger story, so it isn't that compelling, but I did like the descriptions of the harpies and their caged oracle.

"Merely Mortal," by Melissa Marr. Two characters from some previously-written story talk about stuff that makes no sense because I haven't read the other work in this 'verse. Not well written, either.

"Facing Facts," by Kelley Armstrong. A continuation of a story about genetically modified magic users on the run from the Cabal that made them. A necromancer faces her feelings about using an undead enemy as a lethal tool. I quite like the characters and Armstrong includes some solid development of the necromancer's ethical position, but if I hadn't read the earlier work this wouldn't have worked for me.

"Let's Get This Undead Show on the Road," by Sarah Rees Brennan. A new vampire is part of a boy band, and hijinks ensue. Quite funny, with a few moments of melancholy or sweet connection.

"Bridge," by Jeri Smith-Ready. A ghost tries to stop his brother from committing suicide. Told in free verse, I presume because the narrator wrote songs, but it adds absolutely nothing to the story. For such heavy subject matter, this doesn't leave much of an impression.

"Skin Contact," by Kimberly Derting. Troubling story about a boy who can sense the past through objects he touches. I'd like to read more about him.

"Leaving," by Ally Condie. In the future, a girl tries to decide what part of the past to travel to. Eventually she realizes that fleeing her present won't solve anything. I liked it.

"At the late night, double-feature, picture show" by Jessica Verday. A young Hunter is out to make a name for herself, but instead of a simple goblin takedown, she gets involved in a cannibalistic Girl Scout Troop, high-kicking vampires, and a resurrectionist. Loopy but not actually funny.

"Ivy League," by Ivy Stohl. A young vampire tries to get in to Harvard. Funny and sad, with a really great narrative voice.

"Gargoille," by Mary E Pearson. When a gargoyle loses their wings, they lose their memories as well. After Giselle is captured and parted from her wings, she makes a new life for herself. Months later, another former gargoyle joins the Duke's court--her former lover let himself get captured so they could be together again, though neither knows why they're drawn to each other. The writing isn't great, but the basic plot is good.

"The Third Kind," by Jennifer Lynn Barnes. Jess is used to her sister having fits and dragging her along on strange missions. This particular quest is stranger than usual, though, and eventually Jess learns that it isn't her sister who has to be protected--it's her. This felt like a great beginning to a cool story, but it cuts off right when it gets truly interesting.

"Automatic," by Rachel Caine. A new vampire tries out the new blood vending machines. Somehow, the automation of it makes him even closer to his bestial side.
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I really liked this book! It's hard for me to pick a story I liked the most, or one I liked the least. Overall I thought it was very, very good. It kept me very entertained and is probably my favorite anthology I've read to date. I would definitely recommend this to others. 5 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Beammey | Feb 13, 2016 |
I read the Kelley Armstrong short story. It's in the Otherworld world, but has teens that implies they've been in a story. Haven't seen the story though! ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |

Smith-Ready, JeriContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stohl, MargaretContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Verday, JessicaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vincent, RachelContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

A journey may take hundreds of miles, or it may cover the distance between duty and desire.

Sixteen of today’s hottest writers of paranormal tales weave stories on a common theme of journeying. Authors such as Kelley Armstrong, Rachel Caine, and Melissa Marr return to the beloved worlds of their bestselling series, while others, like Claudia Gray, Kami Garcia, and Margaret Stohl, create new land-scapes and characters. But whether they’re writing about vampires, faeries, angels, or other magical beings, each author explores the strength and resilience of the human heart.

Suspenseful, funny, or romantic, the stories in Enthralled will leave you moved.

A collection of fourteen original teen paranormal short stories from some of today's bestselling YA talent, united with the common theme of road trips, and edited by bestselling authors Melissa Marr and Kelley Armstrong. Contributors include: Melissa Marr, Kelley Armstrong, Claudia Gray, Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl, Rachel Caine, Carrie Ryan, Jessica Verday, Rachel Vincent, Jennifer Lynn Barnes and more.… (more)

Melissa Marr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,111,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible