Contingency by Paula Wiseman

'Contingency' is a fantastic novel! The pages just flew by and before I knew it I had reached the end. The story is about Chuck's infidelity, how his wife, Bobbi, found out about it and how they are trying to mend their family.

I thought the book dealt with the issue of adultery very well. It showed the anguish that the person who was cheated on went through and all the other issues that this one sin caused. It showed how it wasn't just Bobbi and Chuck that were affected by the infidelity, but their children, extended family, coworkers and their church family too.

I thought that Rita, Bobbi's sister, was a person that voiced what I think almost everyone in that situation would be feeling, and I think that by her voicing her opinion of Chuck, it forced Bobbi to defend him, even though she didn't feel like it. It helped her to remember all the good things about him, but that isn't enough to mend a relationship.

Bobbi lays out a list of things that she wants Chuck to do, some of them she is sure he won't do, one of them being to go to counseling by himself and then that they go together when their pastor, who is also the counselor, says it's time for that.

Chuck began to do almost everthing on her list, but Bobbi still wasn't sure that she could trust Chuck again. The rift was large and trust once given so easily is hard to get back - if it is ever possible to trust someone again after a hurt like that.

'Contingecy' was a very moving story and is a book that I plan to read again. I can't wait to start the next book, which from the preview at the end of this book sounds just as good, if not better, than this book. I highly recommend 'Contingency'! I especially think that this book should be required reading for anyone thinking about divorce.

***I received a complimentary copy of this book through LibraryThing. I was asked to give my honest opinion of the book - which I have done.*** ( )
  Megan-Celtic_Girl | Oct 19, 2011 |
This first book in the Covenant of Trust series opens up when Bobbi Molinsky opens up an email that was forwarded from her husband’s email account and discovers that he has had an affair. This devastates her world and makes her question her own marriage. Bobbi tries to work through the fact that her husband did cheat on her and tries to forgive him. Chuck goes into counseling in order to determine why he cheated on his wife in the first place. The two of them are counseled by their pastor and his wife both separately and together. The two of them work on the issues in their marriage that lead to Chuck’s cheating. This is a story about a married couple working through one of the couple having an affair on their spouse. ( )
  mminor1985 | Oct 17, 2011 |
As a newly wed wife, the topics of marriage and fidelity drew me into this story line. I was easily able to relate to the characters and I enjoyed being able to slip in and out of their memories and daily life while trying to save a marriage.

I was happy to read a story that shows how a marriage can be worked on-- maybe even saved-- while the characters are still being human and messing up. The emotional roller-coaster the various characters-- husband, wife, friends, pastor, and children-- really helps the reader to connect and see this story come alive.

The twists that the author includes helps to make this story an interesting and suspenseful read! I'm looking forward to continuing the series with book 2. ( )
  SciTrailsandTricks | Sep 6, 2011 |
This book deals with an issue that affects many families. The tragedy of infidelity.

Bobby discovers that her husband of 18 years, Chuck, has had an affair. She undergoes the painful process of coming to terms with his infidelity as well as learning to trust and forgive.

Chuck learns how to love God, his wife, and himself after loosing himself in sin.

I enjoyed the way that Paula Wiseman dealt with a very sensitive issue. She took us into the hearts and home of Bobbi and Chuck Molinsky as they come to terms with adultery. I found many levels of emotion within the pages of this novel. I was able to connect with the family and feel their pain as they tried to understand the issues behind the act. I felt that the way they explored their emotions and their relationship with God resonates with anything, that we as people do, that weakens our relationship with our Creator and with those that we love.

If you can't tell this is a very Christian themed book. This book will do well with anyone who is a Christian or who is interested in the Christian Faith.

There are flashbacks showing the way that the family was failing and the way that thoughts and acts led to the act of adultery. This book does not have explicit content, but the theme is more of an adult read.

I received a copy to review by participation with the "Pump Up Your Books" blog tour. ( )
  Bookworm_Lisa | May 29, 2011 |
Contingency: A Novel is book one in the Covenant of Trust series.

Bobbi Molinsky, a grade school teacher, leads a wonderful and comfortable life. She has a husband she adores, two wonderful sons, a beautiful home, wonderful friends and family. Bobbi is living the dream, until the day she receives an email that had somehow bounced from her husbands email account. Opening that email brings her world shattering down around her. Her husband of eighteen years has cheated on her.

Chuck Molinsky is an up and coming junior lawyer who believes he needs all the pomp and show that goes with being a successful lawyer and that includes a certain image, he buys himself a BMW, he wears designer clothing and he is sexually attracted to his new under associate. Chuck walks right into Tracey Ravenna's black widow trap and he succumbs to her machinations and becomes obsessed with having her. She has become a drug to him and he believes he can have his cake and eat it to. Until the day he receives the call from Bobbi, and he realizes the choices he has made thus far, have been all wrong and he has strayed from the path he once wanted for himself and his family.

Tracey Ravenna is the gorgeous thirty year old redhead who practices law, and is quite impressive and most career orientated. Seeking the same in a man, especially one as prestigious as Chuck, she works her primal sexual nature to weave a web that he is sure to be caught up in.

Phil Shannon is the minister who keeps Chuck and Bobbi on the correct path to redemption and salvation. Through the grace of God, the two search themselves and each other to come to the right choice for everyone involved. Bobbi has severe trust issues and it doesn't look like Chuck is going to get a second chance. Will Phil find the right words to make their marriage work or will divorce be the only outcome??

I liked Bobbi, even in her weakest moments, she never gave in and held on to her beliefs. To accept someone who has dishonoured your trust in them, takes a lot of soul searching and reflections. Trust is the easiest thing to break and the hardest to build upon. I am glad that Bobbi was strong enough for herself even when it seemed everyone around her felt she should give Chuck a break. I liked the intrigue concerning Tracey and wondering what her game is/was. I also enjoyed how the bible and God were used in the healing process, and we are reminded that God has a plan for each of us and sometimes we don't always understand the goals or the reasons, we have to accept, through faith in God, that it will all work out in the end.

I didn't like that the book needed to use expletives, even though they were very few in number, I felt they didn't even need a place in the book and truly disappointed and surprized me when I read them. There weren't expected and took a shine off the story for me.

I thought the author did a very good job of Bobbi's growth and I would've liked to have seen more of Chuck's growth, it was touched upon several times but for the most part the reader is left guessing how Chuck is coming along. All in all though, the book was a very enjoyable read, with enough to keep you turning the pages. Paula Wiseman is a very good character writer, and her back stories are placed in the book at just the right intervals. I am quite looking forward to the next book in the series, it was an easy and enjoyable read, with strong characters and good plot flow. ( )
  MadMooseMama | May 23, 2011 |
For Jon, who lives true love daily
Chuck,I’m meeting Chad and Michelle for drinks at Baker Street Pub at 6. Can you join us? My whole evening is free again. *wink* Tracy
Bobbi Molinsky stared at the e-mail. Yes, it was addressed to her husband. Yes, it automatically forwarded from his account at the law firm since he was out of town again. But it didn’t make any sense.
That just shows you the kind of changes God can accomplish when we get desperate enough to let Him – Phil
God is good, His love is sure, and His timing is perfect according to His purposes –Dr. Craig

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0981964826, Paperback)

Bobbi Molinsky's comfortable life is shattered when a forwarded email from her husband's account lands in her inbox. The email teases, "My whole evening is free again." After an angry confrontation with Chuck, she is left with the broken remains of an eighteen year marriage. Bobbi agrees forgiving Chuck is the right thing, the God-honoring thing to do, but it leaves her empty and isolated. Teaching her second-graders is a burden. Taking care of her boys saps all her energy. It seems God Himself has walked away, leaving her to struggle alone. Bobbi can't deny the transformation in Chuck, but genuine forgiveness requires trust, and trust is a risk she's not willing to take. Can she let go of her deepest, most primal fears and save her marriage?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:15 -0400)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Paula Wiseman's book Contingency was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Paula Wiseman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,464,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible