Secrets to Parenting Your Adult Child by MEd…

Secrets to Parenting Your Adult Child (original 2011; edition 2011)

by MEd Williams, LPC, Nancy

1911537,190 (3.61)1
Member:mookiekat
Title:Secrets to Parenting Your Adult Child
Authors:MEd Williams, LPC, Nancy
Info:Bethany House (2011), Paperback, 216 pages

Secrets to Parenting Your Adult Child by LPC MEd Williams, Nancy (2011)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this through the Librarything Early Reviewer program. I appreciate the author's view that our goal as Christian parents is to raise our children to be what God would have them to be. There is a lot of good information in this book. It is somewhat repetitive, but has some helpful suggestions and examples of parenting techniques for adult children.
  milliebeverly | Feb 21, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
i received this book as an early reviewer from author nancy williams. one of the first things that struck me is the statement, "successful parenting means you have helped your children become the persons God wants them to be". to me this is the utmost goal of a Christian parent. yes it is nice if your child is handsome or rich or owns their own business but what good is all that if they have no relationship with the God who created them? in order to accomplish this goal there must be some key ingredients such as communication, trust, honesty, openness and prayer. prayer is perhaps more important than any of the others. the author starts right at the beginning with talking about what to expect from being a parent. she talks to her readers in a coaching mentoring style which makes it really easy to take in the information she feeds you even when it is a tough subject or something you don't agree with. she covers all stages and situations that a parent with an adult child might find themselves in including a section of parents of handicap and military children. there is a section also on grandparenting and how to become more involved in the lives of your grandchildren. there are Biblical verses throughout the book that are a real help in that they are something to hold on to. in my oppinion this is an easy book to read full of wisdom and advice. definetly a must have for your library or anyone getting to go through the "empty nest" syndrome.
  mookiekat | Oct 7, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I often wonder about these type of books, if they really have any "new" information to add. Reading this book finally caused an answer to come together for me. We may (or may not) have already learned or figured out all the information in it, but having it all in one concise location really does help to focus a person on the information inside.

I received this book at a great time. My oldest was in the somewhat lengthy process of 'flying the coop.' I wanted to do right by my not-so-little-one and this book reassured me in areas and gave me gentle reminders in others. I really appreciated the Christian undercurrent. While the book is immensely practical, it never fails to remind the reader to keep the child and our relationship with him or her in prayer. I also appreciated that it was not a one-size-fits-all book. The author repeatedly makes reference to the individuality of our young adults and emphasizes that along with their unique strengths and weaknesses, they will need different things from us.

I think this book is a great resource. Think of it as a Dr. Spock for the young adult years. ( )
  mnegranza | May 23, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Although published through Bethany House, this is not a Christian book. It lacks Biblical reference or defining terms in a Biblical way. ( )
  Kratz | May 20, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As the parent on an adult son, I found this book to be very helpful. There have been times in the past when my son was in his late teens and early twenties, that I would have truly loved to have had the insight that Ms. Williams offers to parents of adult children. Definitely a keeper to be used time and again....... ( )
  JaneAustenNut | May 12, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0764208551, Paperback)

Parenting doesn't stop when the children grow up, and the nest doesn't always empty when or how parents thought it would. The role changes, but the sense of responsibility continues. Licensed counselor and life coach Nancy Williams draws from professional and personal experience, and also brings in the perspectives of young adults to guide readers in building healthy relationships with adult children. Her insight, encouragement, and advice will help readers navigate everything from prolonged adolescence and boundary struggles to disappointing choices our children make.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

MEd Williams, LPC, Nancy's book Secrets to Parenting Your Adult Child was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,161,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible