Strength Training Anatomy Workout, The by…

Strength Training Anatomy Workout, The (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Frederic Delavier, Michael Gundill

Member:lpaucker
Title:Strength Training Anatomy Workout, The
Authors:Frederic Delavier
Other authors:Michael Gundill
Info:Human Kinetics (2011), Edition: 1, Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:non-fiction, weight training, fitness, health, exercise, programs, diagrams, reference

The Strength Training Anatomy Workout by Frederic Delavier (2011)

I picked this book up based off of the recommendation of my brother and I am really glad that I decided to go out and pick up a copy. The authors conveniently divide the book into three parts starting with an introduction into the basics as well as an overview of how to develop your own program. The next part focuses on exercises and includes numerous full color diagrams, tips, variation examples, and clear step-by-step instructions. In addition, the authors have categorized the exercises by muscle group. The third and final section delves into programming by giving the reader various weight lifting program examples.

I really enjoy this book and refer to it quite often due to its ease of use. The diagrams are extremely detailed and highlight which muscles are being used on a given exercise and they give the proper anatomy names. Be aware that most of the exercises in this book require a dumbbell set, pull-up bar, and/or resistance bands. However, there are quite a few included that the reader could do in the comfort of their own home. I work out at a gym so I was hoping for the inclusion of some exercises which require the use of machines, but this book does not include these types of exercises. This book is perfect for any beginner or intermediate level weight lifter. The authors do an awesome job at describing each exercise and keep things simple. This is not the type of book that you sit down and read from cover to cover. There are sections where this is necessary but the majority of the book is meant to be more reference oriented.

Overall, I highly recommend this book to anyone who is thinking about or recently got serious about weight lifting. It is an excellent tool for taking your program and fitness to a whole new level! ( )
  lpaucker | Nov 4, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is an excellent guide to strength training. In particular, I found the illustrations and explanations of muscles and how each exercise works them to be particularly helpful. ( )
  Electablue | Nov 11, 2011 |
This book works as an excellent companion to The Strength Training Anatomy book. It's a great resource for creating your own strength training circuits at home and developing your own workout schedule. It explains the advantages and disadvantages of each exercise and includes an illustration with the exercise detailing which specific muscles the exercise will work. Part 3 of the book includes programming schedules for men, women, and sport specific training. The men's strength program focuses on exercises that work on a few key muscles that help you appear muscular in an accelerated time frame. ( )
  pstyle | Oct 30, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is excellent, and although Delavier promotes the disadvantages of working out at a gym, this book has been an invaluable tool for me at the gym and at home. I appreciate how Delavier is not so arrogant to suggest that his book is the ultimate resource in strength training, and even points out the disadvantages and advantages of each exercise. The advice that not all exercises are suitable for all body types allows the reader to truly design a suitable program for themselves.

This book acts as a personal trainer and the depictions of the exercises, along with the anatomy of the muscles utilized is an invaluable resource. I would recommend this book to a beginner or an advanced exerciser. ( )
  Virasana123 | May 22, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
My husband is the jock in the family, and when he saw this book on my bedside table, he grabbed it. It has proven to be an excellent reference for both of us - the newbie and the experienced (but aging) athlete. The illustrations are particularly helpful. Knowing exactly which muscle I am exercising and how to move it has been very satisfying to this geek. My husband feels he's been able to tweak his regimen to maximize his results. This book is a keeper! ( )
1 vote journeys | May 20, 2011 |

Includes proven programming for strength, power, bodybuilding & toning, with targeted conditioning routines for optimal performance in more than 30 sports, from basketball to golf.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Strength Training Anatomy Workout by Frederic Delavier was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,996,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible