God vs. Gay?: The Religious Case for…

God vs. Gay?: The Religious Case for Equality (Queer Action/Queer Ideas)

by Jay Michaelson

A slim but passionate book designed to counter religious objections to same-sex equality. Michaelson is generally engaging, and couches his arguments in ways that are thoughtful and considerate of differing views but firmly defend the rights of the GLBT community. I just heard him talk at my shul, where he gave an excellent speech on meditation and Judaism, and have concluded that his book would be even better if his subject matter (like his d'var today) was more focused, but I understand the desire to counter all the anti-gay rationales out there. Fortunately the book does list other resources, including one of the books in my TBR pile, the updated version of Rabbi Steven Greenberg's "Wrestling with God and Men: Homosexuality in the Jewish Tradition." ( )
  bostonian71 | Dec 8, 2014 |

Does the Bible prohibit homosexuality? No, says Bible scholar and activist Jay Michaelson. But not only that: Michaelson also shows that the vast majority of our shared religious traditions support the full equality and dignity of LGBT people. In this accessible, passionate, and provocative book, Michaelson argues for equality, not despite religion but because of it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:48 -0400)

The myth that the Bible forbids homosexuality is behind some of the most divisive and painful conflicts of our day. Michaelson shows that not only does the Bible not prohibit same-sex intimacy, but the vast majority of its teachings support the full equality and dignity of gay and lesbian people.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,851,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible