Wayward Son by Tom Pollack

Wayward Son (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Tom Pollack, Jim Alves, John Loftus

21211983,450 (3.56)9
Member:tamelyn521
Title:Wayward Son
Authors:Tom Pollack
Other authors:Jim Alves, John Loftus
Info:Cascada Productions (2011), Kindle Edition

Wayward Son by Tom Pollack (2011)

Amanda James is an archeologist that finds herself as a silent observer of Cain life and death when she picks up one artifact in a chamber of wonders. This good versus evil novel offers new insight on Cain relationship that defined his role in Christianity. There are two interesting plot lines, one ancient and one modern, that could have been the basis for two distinctly different books. ( )
  bemislibrary | Aug 7, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Wonderful! If I could give this 4.5 stars, I would. The story took me completely by surprise and I was hooked. I spent several hours today finishing it up.

The end, especially, surprised me. As I read it, I kept thinking to myself, "Oh I know where this is going, the reveal is just around the corner." And I kept thinking that right up until the book proved me so very and happily wrong.

Apparently, it's the start of a series, but it also stands perfectly and satisfyingly on it's own.

kevbayer | Jun 20, 2014 |
I really enjoyed Wayward Son, and have read it twice now. It's a bit of Indiana Jones combined with Christian Fiction, which was a surprise. I hadn't expected the religious aspect of the book, and appreciated it. I especially appreciated the way Pollack wove Christ's meetings with Cain into the book in a way that didn't contradict the Christ of the Bible. I am giving it four stars only because I felt that characters other than Cain were not very fully developed, and their story lines were a bit weak. Cain is the central figure in the book, but I was left wanting to know more about the other characters.
The book description mentions that this is the first book of a planned series, and I am looking forward to the next book.

I received this book from Libray Thing's Early Reviewer program. ( )
  bugsbrock | May 27, 2013 |
Everything changes early one morning when Dr. Amanda James gets a call from an old college flame and fellow archaeologist, beseeching her to travel to Italy to help solve the puzzle of a mysterious set of bronze doors at a new dig site. Much to her surprise and bemusement, Amanda also receives an offer of stardom and celebrity from billionaire Luc Renard on the same day. The only catch? The job is in Tokyo, requiring Amanda to leave everything of her life behind including her current work at the Getty Museum. Unable to turn her back on archaeology and all the research that she loves, she turns down the offer, but Renard is not someone used to taking no for an answer...

At the dig site in Italy, Amanda takes up the challenge solving the secret of the bronze doors. Sealed by a code inscribed in ancient languages including Chinese and Egyptian, the researchers believe the doors should open up to an underground vault buried beneath a hundred feet of ash from the eruption of nearby Mount Vesuvius. Once inside, Amanda discovers a room full of relics, including two unknown figures eternally locked in what appears to have been a struggle, killed and frozen in time by the volcanic effusion.

It is then Amanda suddenly experiences a shocking vision -- the life and times of the notorious Biblical figure Cain. Through her visions, she learns the truth -- that Cain actually walked the earth for thousands of years, cursed for the murder of his brother. Trapped in his immortal life, this is a story of Cain's road to redemption and fight to resist the devil's temptations.

At first, I thought I would love Wayward Son, based on my love for archaeology and the description of the book on various websites like Amazon and Goodreads. However, the book was nothing like I expected. Don't get me wrong, this was a well written book with a rather creative story. My problem with it isn't so much what the book was about, but with the way it was marketed.

From the synopsis, it sounded like a tale of suspense and adventure, something I would really love. As it turned out, this was not the case. I think I was initially drawn to these particular lines of the description: "Amanda is shocked to discover evidence left behind by a notorioius Biblical killer, who long ago wandered off the pages of history. When a strange relic unveils the miraculous truth about this villain, Amanda must battle sinister forces intent on suppressing her stunning revelation, before it alters the destiny of millions."

While the beginning of the novel started off promising, I have to say that description did not actually reflect the content of the book at all. The bulk of the story itself is actually much more low-key and subdued, and not as heart-pumpingly exciting as the synopsis made it sound. The life of "Biblical killer" who turned out to be Cain played out more like a historical drama, and he wasn't really portrayed like the "villain" as stated. While Wayward Son did have a touch of mystery and suspense, the description is unreliable. I would say this book would be more at home on a Christian fiction shelf.

I'm still glad I picked it up for the synopsis, misleading or not, because I don't know if I would have read this book otherwise. It's an intriguing read, though my only caveat to other potential readers, of course, is to be wary of the novel's descriptions. ( )
  stefferoo | Mar 5, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am not a religious person, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It takes on the story of what happened to Cain after he killed his brother and was sent on his way by God. It is a story of discovery and redemption tied with a thrilling romp through history. Gump-like, Cain ends up meeting several influential people throughout his journey and being involved in some crucial moments. Overall, I found the contemporary archaeological aspects a little bland and distracted a lot from what the actual story should be on. Still, it was a great book. ( )
  FSkornia | Jan 9, 2013 |

Tom Pollackprimary authorall editionscalculated
Alves, Jimsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Loftus, Johnsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
"Choose this day whom you will serve..." (Joshua 24:15, NLT)
For my loving father, Thomas C. Pollack, who passed away in 2010
Amanda knew this was the moment of decision.
"...on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened." (Genesis 7:11, NIV)

A POWERFUL TREMOR UNEARTHS AN ANCIENT SECRET

Buried near Italy's Mount Vesuvius is a remarkable observatory containing artifacts dating to the earliest record of human events. Only one person — the Getty Museum's Amanda James — can unlock the mysterious doors that guard the chamber.

But once inside, Amanda is shocked to discover evidence left behind by a notorious biblical killer — who long ago wandered of the pages of history.

When a strange relic unveils the miraculous truth about this villain, Amanda must battle sinister forces intent on suppressing her stunning revelation — before it alters the destiny of millions.

The first in a series, Wayward Son takes the reader on an amazing voyage, where epic adventures in Egypt, Greece, China and Rome collide with modern-day intrigue and suspense. Journey with Amanda into this man's tantalizing story, and witness a life that eclipses the imagination!

"Buried near Italy's Mt. Vesuvius is a fortified observatory containing artifacts dating to the earliest record of human events. Only one person--the Getty Museum's Amanda James--can unlock the mysterious doors that guard the chamber. But once inside, Amanda is shocked to discover evidence left behind by a notorious Biblical killer--who long ago wandered off the pages of history. When a strange relic unveils the miraculous truth about this villain, Amanda must confront sinister forces intent on suppressing her stunning revelation--before it alters the destiny of millions."--Publisher's description.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Tom Pollack's book Wayward Son was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Tom Pollack's book Wayward Son was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,432,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible