The Jefferson Key by Steve Berry

The Jefferson Key (2011)

by Steve Berry

Series: Cotton Malone (7)

Recently added byTJ_Petrowski, julidickey, Raeigis, wildbunch1, private library, Lauren12, louisbooks, SWade0126

English (77)  French (1)  All languages (78)
I've read a few Steve Berry novels, and I have to say this is my least favourite. This book marks something of a departure from the norm for the Cotton Malone series in that it deals with US history and is based entirely within the USA, and the premise of the story felt a little weak to me. Steve Berry's novels tend to be a little long and have a complicated storyline, and this is no different there - the difference being that previous books were strong enough to carry it through, and this one seemed to struggle. 100+ pages from the end I was tired of the machinations and was ready for it to be over. ( )
  adam.currey | Dec 31, 2018 |
Cotton Malone, a retired DOJ operative, and Cassiopeia Vitt decide to have w weekend of theatre and dining in NYC. Unfortunately, Cotton receives a text from his former boss, Stephanie Nelle, that puts him in jeopardy. Cotton runs to another hotel to foil a plot to assasinate President Danny Daniels. Behind the plot is a cadre of modern day privateers, pirates, with with a letter of Marque dating back to the Revolutionary War. To make things worse, Cotton’s former boss, Stephanie, has been kidnapped. The President cannot trust any of his security agencies to find Stephanie, as there are traitors hiding within the agencies. It is up to Cotton and Cassiopeia to save Stephanie, and find the would be assassins.

I really enjoyed this fast paced story set in the US. I also loved the way Oak Island, of treasure hunting fame, was thrown into the mix. ( )
  Raspberrymocha | Jul 16, 2018 |
This was another exciting adventure with Cotton Malone and his colleagues. These books would make great movies. The book was filled...as usual...with well researched history that adds so much to the story. Most American's have heard of the secret codes that Thomas Jefferson was so fond of... but only a few "history buffs" knew about the society known as "The Commonwealth" that the government actually paid to raid enemy vessels. Instead of being called "pirates" they were known as "privateers"....an attempt to make their actions more respectable??? Anyone that loves adventure and history will more than likely like the Cotton Malone series. Be prepared for a ride that is often bumpy but always fast paced with a "hero" figure that is like Captain Kirk on steroids. ( )
  Carol420 | Jan 17, 2018 |
This is Book 7 of the Cotton Malone series. It was an enjoyable read but my only complaint is the constant shifting from one perspective of the story to another. It did not allow for the story to flow properly. I enjoyed learning about the privateers, the Jefferson Wheel and the privateers part in the different presidential assassinations which is fiction but made for an interesting plot-line. I look forward to reading the next book in the Cotton Malone series as I do enjoy the historical aspect of these books. ( )
  EadieB | Jan 15, 2018 |
Title: The Jefferson Key
Author: Steve Berry
Pages: 480
Year: 2011
Publisher: Ballantine Books
My rating 5 out of 5 stars.
Each book I read of Steve Berry’s is for me a lesson in the nuance of historical events and people. While the book is a work of fiction, at the end he kindly separates the facts from the fiction of his work. I am constantly amazed at the number of events that have escaped my notice or memory that make the novels all the more captivating to me from start to finish.
Cotton Malone reappears here to help locate his boss Stephanie and hopefully take down a rogue intelligence boss who is using her power for her own self-advancement. On top of this situation, the current U.S. President must deal with what is known as the Commonwealth, an organization that has existed from over 150 years and consider themselves beyond the reach of the law. Yet, one President put a kink in the Commonwealth’s dreams when a cipher was created and considered unbreakable. However, two pages of the Commonwealth’s document is missing and if they are found before the good guys get a hold of them, these pirates will be unstoppable.
What seems like unlinked presidential assassinations may not be true and what else may the Commonwealth have done or is doing to undermine the Constitution? Steve Berry’s book is compelling reading from the beginning. The tension is constantly climbing, reaching an unprecedented height near the end that will keep readers on the edge of their seat and up late at night reading! If you love a really good book to get lost in for a while, look no further because Steve Berry gives readers what they want and more! ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Sep 27, 2017 |

Steve Berryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ostrop, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Zachary and Alex,
The next generation
President Andrew Jackson faced the gun aimed at his chest.

Former Justice Department operative Cotton Malone has hunted priceless treasures and confronted ruthless adversaries around the world. Now, a grave threat to the very foundation of our country has summoned him home to America.

When a bold assassination attempt is made against U.S. president Danny Daniels in the heart of Manhattan, Malone risks his life to foil the killing—only to find himself at dangerous odds with the Commonwealth, a secret society of pirates first assembled during the American Revolution.

In their most perilous exploit yet, Malone and Cassiopeia Vitt race across the nation and take to the high seas. Along the way they break a secret cipher originally possessed by Thomas Jefferson, unravel a mystery concocted by Andrew Jackson, and unearth a centuries-old document forged by the Founding Fathers themselves—one squarely rooted within the United States Constitution and powerful enough to make the Commonwealth unstoppable.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345505514, Hardcover)

A Letter from Author Steve Berry
Cotton Malone is known for his overseas exploits. A former-Justice Department operative, who can't stay out of trouble, he's found adventures in all parts of Europe (The Templar Legacy, The Paris Vendetta), Central Asia (The Venetian Betrayal), Antarctica (The Charlemagne Pursuit), the Middle East (The Alexandria Link), and China (The Emperor's Tomb). But he's never had an American adventure.
Until now.

The Jefferson Key was great fun to research. My wife Elizabeth and I traveled to New York City; Washington, D.C.; Bath, North Carolina; Monticello; and Richmond, Virginia. Monticello was particularly interesting since the terrific novelist, Katherine Neville--author of The Eight and The Fire--played host. Katherine serves on the estate's board of directors and she led us on a behind-the-scenes tour that helped formulate a number of scenes that would later appear in the book. We spent a wonderful day there, wandering the halls and staircases, snapping pictures, checking out every nook and cranny. In Richmond, we stayed at The Jefferson, a grand hotel that also makes an appearance in the story.

Bath, North Carolina was similarly intriguing. Three hundred years ago, Bath was a hotbed for Atlantic pirates, a bustling port and a ship building center. Its location, on a quiet inlet of the Pamlico River, not far from open ocean, made it ideal for both. And though it's now a sleepy village of about 300 residents, delving into its colonial and pre-colonial past was exciting. After all, pirates are fascinating--but they don't match the Hollywood stereotype. The real thing is even better, and The Jefferson Key deals with the real thing.

The research for this novel spanned 18 months, which is normal for my books. Along the way, we uncovered a secret cipher originally possessed by Thomas Jefferson; concocted a mystery for Andrew Jackson; and created a centuries-old document envisioned by the Founding Fathers themselves. It was fun exploring American history, especially the Constitution, which forms a huge part of this plot. With every book there's a challenge to describe the story in as few words as possible. For this one, we came up with this: Four United States presidents have been assassinated--in 1865, 1881, 1901, and 1963--each murder seemingly unrelated. But what if those presidents were all killed for the same reason--a clause in the United States Constitution, contained within Article 1, Section 8--that would shock Americans.

Got you interested?
I hope so.
Enjoy The Jefferson Key.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:00 -0400)

Cotton Malone battles a group of families whose influence dates back to U.S. Constitution and who seek to crack a code devised by Thomas Jefferson himself in their quest for power.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Steve Berry's book The Jefferson Key was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,358,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible