The Jefferson Key: A Novel by Steve Berry

The Jefferson Key: A Novel (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Steve Berry

Member:Tigerpaw70
Title:The Jefferson Key: A Novel
Authors:Steve Berry
Info:Ballantine Books (2012), Paperback, 528 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Mystery

The Jefferson Key by Steve Berry (2011)

The Paris Vendetta by Steve Berry (obsessedwithbooks)
    obsessedwithbooks: A similar plot and just as enjoyable.

English (64)  French (1)  All languages (65)
Decent story. ( )
  Robert.Louis.Caldwel | Jan 26, 2014 |
### Amazon.com Review

**A Letter from Author Steve Berry**

Cotton Malone is known for his overseas exploits. A former-Justice Department operative, who can't stay out of trouble, he's found adventures in all parts of Europe (_The Templar Legacy_, *The Paris Vendetta*), Central Asia (_The Venetian Betrayal_), Antarctica (_The Charlemagne Pursuit_), the Middle East (_The Alexandria Link_), and China (_The Emperor's Tomb_). But he's never had an American adventure.
Until now.

*The Jefferson Key* was great fun to research. My wife Elizabeth and I traveled to New York City; Washington, D.C.; Bath, North Carolina; Monticello; and Richmond, Virginia. Monticello was particularly interesting since the terrific novelist, Katherine Neville--author of *The Eight and The Fire*--played host. Katherine serves on the estate's board of directors and she led us on a behind-the-scenes tour that helped formulate a number of scenes that would later appear in the book. We spent a wonderful day there, wandering the halls and staircases, snapping pictures, checking out every nook and cranny. In Richmond, we stayed at *The Jefferson*, a grand hotel that also makes an appearance in the story.

Bath, North Carolina was similarly intriguing. Three hundred years ago, Bath was a hotbed for Atlantic pirates, a bustling port and a ship building center. Its location, on a quiet inlet of the Pamlico River, not far from open ocean, made it ideal for both. And though it's now a sleepy village of about 300 residents, delving into its colonial and pre-colonial past was exciting. After all, pirates are fascinating--but they don't match the Hollywood stereotype. The real thing is even better, and *The Jefferson Key* deals with the real thing.

The research for this novel spanned 18 months, which is normal for my books. Along the way, we uncovered a secret cipher originally possessed by Thomas Jefferson; concocted a mystery for Andrew Jackson; and created a centuries-old document envisioned by the Founding Fathers themselves. It was fun exploring American history, especially the Constitution, which forms a huge part of this plot. With every book there's a challenge to describe the story in as few words as possible. For this one, we came up with this: Four United States presidents have been assassinated--in 1865, 1881, 1901, and 1963--each murder seemingly unrelated. But what if those presidents were all killed for the same reason--a clause in the United States Constitution, contained within Article 1, Section 8--that would shock Americans.

Got you interested?
I hope so.
Enjoy *The Jefferson Key*.

### Review

“One of the most spellbinding and ingenious openings in all of thrillerdom. The cast of characters is huge but every one of them is memorable. The action is intense and masterfully choreographed. As always with Steve Berry, youĂ‚Â’re educated about significant things while your knuckles are turning white and the pages are flying. Easily Cotton MaloneĂ‚Â’s most epic, swashbuckling adventure.” —David Baldacci

"The Constitution. . . secret codes . . . loads of history. . . AND pirates! What else does anyone need? The Jefferson Key won't just haunt your nights--it'll haunt your life. Cotton Malone is coming back to the scariest place of all: Home." —Brad Meltzer

"THE JEFFERSON KEY starts with a bang and holds the reader in its grip until the last page. Fascinating American history, up-to-the-minute politics, pulse-pounding action. This is a story Mitch Rapp would love." —Vince Flynn ( )
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
I love the way Steve Berry combines fiction with history. This keeps the reader on his/her toes for what is real and what isn't. It is well written, creative and clever. ( )
For Zachary and Alex,
The next generation
President Andrew Jackson faced the gun aimed at his chest.

Former Justice Department operative Cotton Malone has hunted priceless treasures and confronted ruthless adversaries around the world. Now, a grave threat to the very foundation of our country has summoned him home to America.

When a bold assassination attempt is made against U.S. president Danny Daniels in the heart of Manhattan, Malone risks his life to foil the killing—only to find himself at dangerous odds with the Commonwealth, a secret society of pirates first assembled during the American Revolution.

In their most perilous exploit yet, Malone and Cassiopeia Vitt race across the nation and take to the high seas. Along the way they break a secret cipher originally possessed by Thomas Jefferson, unravel a mystery concocted by Andrew Jackson, and unearth a centuries-old document forged by the Founding Fathers themselves—one squarely rooted within the United States Constitution and powerful enough to make the Commonwealth unstoppable.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345505514, Hardcover)

A Letter from Author Steve Berry
Cotton Malone is known for his overseas exploits. A former-Justice Department operative, who can't stay out of trouble, he's found adventures in all parts of Europe (The Templar Legacy, The Paris Vendetta), Central Asia (The Venetian Betrayal), Antarctica (The Charlemagne Pursuit), the Middle East (The Alexandria Link), and China (The Emperor's Tomb). But he's never had an American adventure.
Until now.

The Jefferson Key was great fun to research. My wife Elizabeth and I traveled to New York City; Washington, D.C.; Bath, North Carolina; Monticello; and Richmond, Virginia. Monticello was particularly interesting since the terrific novelist, Katherine Neville--author of The Eight and The Fire--played host. Katherine serves on the estate's board of directors and she led us on a behind-the-scenes tour that helped formulate a number of scenes that would later appear in the book. We spent a wonderful day there, wandering the halls and staircases, snapping pictures, checking out every nook and cranny. In Richmond, we stayed at The Jefferson, a grand hotel that also makes an appearance in the story.

Bath, North Carolina was similarly intriguing. Three hundred years ago, Bath was a hotbed for Atlantic pirates, a bustling port and a ship building center. Its location, on a quiet inlet of the Pamlico River, not far from open ocean, made it ideal for both. And though it's now a sleepy village of about 300 residents, delving into its colonial and pre-colonial past was exciting. After all, pirates are fascinating--but they don't match the Hollywood stereotype. The real thing is even better, and The Jefferson Key deals with the real thing.

Got you interested?
I hope so.
Enjoy The Jefferson Key.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:24 -0400)

Cotton Malone battles a group of families whose influence dates back to U.S. Constitution and who seek to crack a code devised by Thomas Jefferson himself in their quest for power.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Jefferson Key by Steve Berry was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,335,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible