The Gray Wolf Throne by Cinda Williams Chima

The Gray Wolf Throne (edition 2012)

by Cinda Williams Chima

Member:boppisces
Title:The Gray Wolf Throne
Authors:Cinda Williams Chima
Info:
Tags:teen fiction, fantasy, wizards, high fantasy, magic, healing, romance, royalty

The Gray Wolf Throne by Cinda Williams Chima

4 ½ Stars ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
For more reviews, gifs, Cover Snark and more, visit A Reader of Fictions.

Things just keep getting more epic. It’s funny how this book covers the shortest span of time but the most stuff happens. In The Gray Wolf Throne, Raisa levels up to a new degree of bossness. Han gets to use all his fancy blueblood training. And, oh yeah, shit goes down.

Perhaps because of the accelerated time frame, The Gray Wolf Throne goes really fast. The pace just rockets, despite the book being long. It feels like hurtling toward an ending that could be roses and could be a brick wall against which our cast will smash and die. Personally, I’m hoping only a few of them die, but Chima does seem to enjoy character death, so it’s really hard to say.

One thing I find really interesting about Chima is how she does the deaths. She’s resisted a lot of death tropes common to fantasy fiction. Generally, I’m used to being able to assume that if a remotely important character dies off screen, they’re totally going to be alive through some complicated series of events. Unless someone confirms that a character is dead, they’re not going to be dead. Not so with Chima. She’s done the bulk of her killing off screen, which makes it even more shocking when it goes down.

Basically, Chima resists death fake outs, which is really awesome, since I don’t like that trope in most cases. Early on, both Han and Raisa are in serious danger of dying. She could easily have done a fakeout with a POV swap (it’s third person, so why not, right?), but she didn’t. And, you know what? I was still concerned for them. You don’t have to try to fool me into thinking they’re dead to make me worry that they might die. Besides, even if they survive that, which, I mean, they probably would anyway, since there’s another book left and only a few authors kill the MCs before the end of the series, there’s still a fuckton of danger ahead of them.

Never have political maneuverings been more fascinating than in The Gray Wolf Throne. Raisa has to come back to her queendom and become the queen. Obviously, she’s going to be the best at it, but there are wars outside the queendom and tensions inside. The list of people she can trust is short, and people keep trying to kill her. Also, for all that I thought Gavan Bayar was a giant dickface, he’s got nothing on Gerard Montaigne, who makes my skin crawl.

Raisa has always been a strong heroine, in pretty much every possible definition of the word. That doesn’t mean she’s the strongest person physically or that she doesn’t cry. She’s not, and she does. Raisa’s biggest strength is that she loves hard work. Not only will she do it, but she enjoys it, a barb her sister throws at her. In The Gray Wolf Throne, she really reaches new heights of badassery. Her training at Oden’s Ford has made her stronger physically and given her an adeptness with weapons. Though she does get saved a lot by others, it’s not because she’s a damsel in distress; it’s because there are so many people trying to bring her down. Good luck, guys. Raisa doesn’t go down without one hell of a fight.

The Han/Raisa romance is giving so many feels. They break my heart with all the things keeping them apart. The fact that they can’t fight their feelings only makes them that much more shippable. On top of that, both of them are so practical and wise, always putting their heads over their hearts, which I admire even as it stabs my shippy heart. The other ships continue to be…there. I like Cat and Dancer sort of in theory, but I also never get to see them be TOGETHER really so I have no idea what their private dynamic is. Then there’s what happens to the only actual instance of LGBT+ romance in the series thus far: Yeah, Talia didn’t die, but I’m still pissed that of all the couples to almost break in half by death, the lesbian one? No. Do not approve.

Just when I’m feeling pretty hopeful, Chima hits me with that ending. GAH. Must read final book now. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Feb 17, 2015 |
This is the third book in the series and it is so far the best. Each book I read gets better and better, I am already eagerly anticipating the next book in this series. I will say though that the first few chapters I had to push myself to get through but then it got enthralling and I couldn't let it go.
I love how Ms. Chima allows her characters to be teenagers, even if the weight of the world is on them. They are all hormones and attitude and even these ones are aflutter with both. I love the sensuality she instills in her work and her characters as well. I am a grown women and I want Han all to myself.
We see the downfall of a couple of key characters and we also get to see some chess pieces move on the board.I enjoyed learning some interesting facts about some of my old friends and growing to loathe the ones I hate even more than I already did. That is the key thing about these books, you will make friends and enemies and you need to keep them straight because it's your head that's going to explode later if you mess it up and fall in love with one of them. Ms. Chima draws these emotions out of the reader and then you are stuck her world. Be careful but definitely read this series! ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
Raisa is growing up and growing into her position. I really like how we see this change as the books progress. In this one, it feels like she is less a spoiled child and more aware of the difficult decisions and situations one faces in the adult world. She is learning to juggle conflicting priorities and opinions to form her own.

That said, this book felt unsettled, unfinished somewhat. It's obvious another book is coming and that always bothers me. I feel each book should be able to stand on its own, yet this one would be quite lost without the book before it and presumably, the one forthcoming.

However, this was still an enjoyable read and for those interested in this series, it will satisfy. ( )
  HunyBadger | Sep 8, 2014 |
Really loving this series...which for once did not end in a cliffhanger! Many secrets are revealed in this installment, as Han finally discovers Raisa's identity and they both must struggle with the consequences of their relationship. Raisa also learns of her mother's death and must craft a plan to hold her throne from the people who would take it from her. Fun reading! Can't wait to dig into the next one! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Jun 12, 2014 |

Thief-turned-wizard Han Alister joins forces with Raisa ana'Marianna, heir to the Queendom of the Fells, to defend her right to the Gray Wolf Throne.

Cinda Williams Chima is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

100 wanted3 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,875,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible