Awake at Dawn by Christie Craig

Awake at Dawn

by Christie Craig

Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: This was a really good sequel to Born at Midnight. The story was really interesting and filled with great action, good humor, and an interesting love triangle.

Opening Sentence: “You have to stop it, Kylie. You have to. Or this will happen to someone you love.”

The Review:

Kylie has finally accepted that she isn’t normal. She went to Shadow Falls at the beginning of the summer and found out that the supernatural exist and that she is one of them, the only thing is she doesn’t know which one. It is genetic, but Kylie’s biological father didn’t know what he was either, so he is no help to her. As she tries to figure out what she is, she starts to change and she is showing signs that she could be any number of the supernaturals. One of her powers is being able to see and communicate with ghosts. She is suppose to help them with their unfinished business so they can move on. She has a new ghost haunting her that keeps warning her that someone she loves is going to die, but she has the power to stop it. The ghost doesn’t give her any details and she won’t tell her who. Kylie tries everything to figure out what the ghost is talking about, because she doesn’t want to lose anyone she cares about.

While all this craziness is happening to her she also has a big boy problem. When she first came to Shadow Falls she met the sweet gorgeous Derek, and the hot bad boy Lucas. She has feelings for both boys, but she really doesn’t know who she wants to be with. On top of her boy problems she has a feeling that she is begin watched and it isn’t a good feeling. With everything going on Kylie is starting to feel really overwhelmed and she doesn’t know if she is going to be able to handle everything in her life.

I like Kylie, but there are times when she just drives me a little nuts. Kylie is a really great friend and just an overall nice person. She is always trying to help others, even though it does backfire at times. As she starts to develop more powers she becomes a stronger person physically but emotionally she starts to crumble. She is very confused, but she isn’t afraid to ask others for help. I really loved learning more about her and new abilities. It made her a much more interesting character. Now for the part that frustrated me. The love triangle in this book just doesn’t work for me. Kylie is really immature when it comes to making decisions about love. She is really hot and cold with the boys which annoyed me. I had the same problem with her in the first book, she does get a little better at the end so I am hoping that in the next book this problem will be gone.

Now for the boys! Derek is a hot fairy who has the power to manipulate emotions. Just by touching he can change how you are feeling, and this has always bothered Kylie. She has a hard time trusting Derek and her feelings for him because she’s not sure if it is real. He never gives her any reason to not trust him, but it is still hard for her. I really like Derek for the most part. He gets jealous a little too easily, but he is really sweet and caring. He has been really taken with Kylie since he met her and he has been very patient with her. He is a great guy and I think that he and Kylie are cute together.

Lucas is a bad boy werewolf. He left in the last book with another female werewolf and Kylie can’t find it in her heart to forgive him. He keeps writing her letters, but she doesn’t answer any of them. She does find herself having some pretty sexy dreams about him that feel pretty real, but they are just dreams, right?. Kylie really wants to give things with Derek a chance, but she can’t help but be really attracted to Lucas. She hears that he might be coming back to camp and she’s not sure how she feels about that. I am a sucker for bad boys, and Lucas is just so darn hot. I will have to admit that while I like Derek I am totally Team Lucas on this one.

This was a really great read for me and a great sequel. The book flowed really well and was fast paced. I loved getting to know more about the world and all the different supernatural creatures. I like all the characters, even though at times they did frustrate me a little. The plot has some pretty predictable parts, but there were also some parts that really surprised me. There was a lot of humorous parts that really made me laugh and some really good action. The writing was really well done and honestly I can’t wait to read the next book in the series. There isn’t a cliffhanger which is nice but you are definitely left wanting to know what is next for Kylie and all those at Shadow Falls. I would highly recommend this series to anyone that likes YA paranormal books.

Notable Scene:

Kylie rolled her eyes. But she snatched the bra from Della and headed off to the dressing room. Behind her, she heard Della and Miranda laughing.

Trying on bras reminded Kylie of the Goldilocks fairy tale. One felt a bit too big. One was a bit too lacy, and one, the black one, was a bit to…sexy.

Now to decide which ones to take home. Kylie glanced down at the pile of bras and had just slipped the strap of her old bra up onto her shoulder, when she heard:

“I like the black one best.”

The deep male voice that came from behind her had her heart leaping into her throat. Her eyes shot to the mirror.

Before she saw his face, she saw the blood.

He stood right behind her. Big splotches of red color stained his shirt. Even his auburn-colored hair was soaked in it.

His eyes flashed a vivid red color. He shot her an evil smile and his elongated canines showed at the edges of his mouth. Recognition hit-Blood Brothers.

FTC Advisory: St. Martin’s Griffin/Macmillan provided me with a copy of Dead Mann Walking. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Apr 26, 2013 |
I loved this book, C.C made it so funny, and made it seem as if Kylie was right next to me, I loved it. She is so descriptive and creative I mean cat/skunk how funny is that? Della and Miranda's arguments with the pinky made my day in English Monday morning. I liked the second book way better than the first one, knowing the characters in more depth and really getting a feel for her writing style is why I read books like hers. I got the two in one for the first two books and that is the only thing driving me nuts haha :p. ( )
  sarahbug571 | Apr 9, 2013 |
Please tell me if there's some rule that all paranormal series must include a love triangle? I know I keep complaining about this, but it keeps coming up again! And it's getting old :-/

That annoyance aside, I really liked this book. I loved the first book in the series, and fortunately the sequel lived up to my expectations. I had started to think Kylie was a terrible Mary Sue the way she suddenly got good at everything, but it turns out there may be a logical explanation, so I'm willing to withhold judgement for now.

I really liked the various relationships depicted in the book and Kylie's interactions with both her cabin mates, Holiday and her parents. Didn't care much for neither Lucas nor Derek at all though. She could do better than either!

Next book in the series is out in March/April 2012 - can't wait! ( )
  Kiwiria | Mar 30, 2013 |
I do understand some of the issues with this series, the love triangle is a tired trope at this stage and needs to die in a fire. Kylie is powerful and seems to be gaining a lot of power, but her uncertainty and wish to be more normal (though as a teenager myself I remember the idea of supernatual powers were more of a "yes please" concept) seems to be keeping her from abuse of her abilities.

I'm enjoying this series, even if her friend at home is being punished for no reason, other than perhaps she's the only major character Kylie cares for back home. I'm curious to know what's going on and CC Hunter is keeping me following the story. I just hope things keep being interesting and don't betray the characters. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Feb 4, 2013 |
Though a few of the details were fuzzy, it did not take me long to dive back into Kylie's world and character. I love her voice, the sarcasm, the emotion and the kindness and loyalty to her friends. She wants and needs answers, and she takes the avoidance tactic, which I am so familiar with. I really connected with her in the feeling like an outcast at times though. That is a theme in this book and it feels like a theme in my own life. But I really like how she deals with it, and it is so well written how she makes friendships and slowly builds them.
And oh the drama in here, there are scenes I totally loved, and could imagine so clearly. Shifter fight anyone? Make out session? Oh yes, please. C.C.'s style is great and she draws me right into the world of Shadow Falls. The range of supernatural all in one place, working together is awesome, as well as the set-up with the tension and the antagonists.
It's awesome to watch Kylie come into herself and figure out exactly what she is, and it leaves me with questions and speculations. I also liked how she made better decisions for herself instead of being weak, even when it was hard.
I love this series and can't wait to make time in my schedule to read the rest!
  brandileigh2003 | Nov 22, 2012 |
"You have to stop it, Kylie. You have to. Or this will happen to someone you love."

Having settled in at Shadow Falls Camp, a training ground for vampires, werewolves, and other supernatural beings, sixteen-year-old Kylie Galen is eager to discover what her abilities might be, but an interfering ghost and a rogue vampire on a murdering rampage get in the way of her search.… (more)

86 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible