Awake at Dawn by Christie Craig

Awake at Dawn

by Christie Craig

Series note: I'm not a big fan of how the books run into each other. Although it's a good tactic to keep the series going, the first book felt like the stop had been forced. It got easier as they went along - either I got used to it or the technique improved. ( )
  Journeymouse | Sep 12, 2014 |
  Journeymouse | Sep 12, 2014 |
  Journeymouse | Sep 11, 2014 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: This was a really good sequel to Born at Midnight. The story was really interesting and filled with great action, good humor, and an interesting love triangle.

Opening Sentence: “You have to stop it, Kylie. You have to. Or this will happen to someone you love.”

The Review:

Kylie has finally accepted that she isn’t normal. She went to Shadow Falls at the beginning of the summer and found out that the supernatural exist and that she is one of them, the only thing is she doesn’t know which one. It is genetic, but Kylie’s biological father didn’t know what he was either, so he is no help to her. As she tries to figure out what she is, she starts to change and she is showing signs that she could be any number of the supernaturals. One of her powers is being able to see and communicate with ghosts. She is suppose to help them with their unfinished business so they can move on. She has a new ghost haunting her that keeps warning her that someone she loves is going to die, but she has the power to stop it. The ghost doesn’t give her any details and she won’t tell her who. Kylie tries everything to figure out what the ghost is talking about, because she doesn’t want to lose anyone she cares about.

While all this craziness is happening to her she also has a big boy problem. When she first came to Shadow Falls she met the sweet gorgeous Derek, and the hot bad boy Lucas. She has feelings for both boys, but she really doesn’t know who she wants to be with. On top of her boy problems she has a feeling that she is begin watched and it isn’t a good feeling. With everything going on Kylie is starting to feel really overwhelmed and she doesn’t know if she is going to be able to handle everything in her life.

I like Kylie, but there are times when she just drives me a little nuts. Kylie is a really great friend and just an overall nice person. She is always trying to help others, even though it does backfire at times. As she starts to develop more powers she becomes a stronger person physically but emotionally she starts to crumble. She is very confused, but she isn’t afraid to ask others for help. I really loved learning more about her and new abilities. It made her a much more interesting character. Now for the part that frustrated me. The love triangle in this book just doesn’t work for me. Kylie is really immature when it comes to making decisions about love. She is really hot and cold with the boys which annoyed me. I had the same problem with her in the first book, she does get a little better at the end so I am hoping that in the next book this problem will be gone.

Now for the boys! Derek is a hot fairy who has the power to manipulate emotions. Just by touching he can change how you are feeling, and this has always bothered Kylie. She has a hard time trusting Derek and her feelings for him because she’s not sure if it is real. He never gives her any reason to not trust him, but it is still hard for her. I really like Derek for the most part. He gets jealous a little too easily, but he is really sweet and caring. He has been really taken with Kylie since he met her and he has been very patient with her. He is a great guy and I think that he and Kylie are cute together.

Lucas is a bad boy werewolf. He left in the last book with another female werewolf and Kylie can’t find it in her heart to forgive him. He keeps writing her letters, but she doesn’t answer any of them. She does find herself having some pretty sexy dreams about him that feel pretty real, but they are just dreams, right?. Kylie really wants to give things with Derek a chance, but she can’t help but be really attracted to Lucas. She hears that he might be coming back to camp and she’s not sure how she feels about that. I am a sucker for bad boys, and Lucas is just so darn hot. I will have to admit that while I like Derek I am totally Team Lucas on this one.

This was a really great read for me and a great sequel. The book flowed really well and was fast paced. I loved getting to know more about the world and all the different supernatural creatures. I like all the characters, even though at times they did frustrate me a little. The plot has some pretty predictable parts, but there were also some parts that really surprised me. There was a lot of humorous parts that really made me laugh and some really good action. The writing was really well done and honestly I can’t wait to read the next book in the series. There isn’t a cliffhanger which is nice but you are definitely left wanting to know what is next for Kylie and all those at Shadow Falls. I would highly recommend this series to anyone that likes YA paranormal books.

Notable Scene:

Kylie rolled her eyes. But she snatched the bra from Della and headed off to the dressing room. Behind her, she heard Della and Miranda laughing.

Trying on bras reminded Kylie of the Goldilocks fairy tale. One felt a bit too big. One was a bit too lacy, and one, the black one, was a bit to…sexy.

Now to decide which ones to take home. Kylie glanced down at the pile of bras and had just slipped the strap of her old bra up onto her shoulder, when she heard:

“I like the black one best.”

The deep male voice that came from behind her had her heart leaping into her throat. Her eyes shot to the mirror.

Before she saw his face, she saw the blood.

He stood right behind her. Big splotches of red color stained his shirt. Even his auburn-colored hair was soaked in it.

His eyes flashed a vivid red color. He shot her an evil smile and his elongated canines showed at the edges of his mouth. Recognition hit-Blood Brothers.

FTC Advisory: St. Martin’s Griffin/Macmillan provided me with a copy of Dead Mann Walking. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Apr 26, 2013 |
"You have to stop it, Kylie. You have to. Or this will happen to someone you love."

Having settled in at Shadow Falls Camp, a training ground for vampires, werewolves, and other supernatural beings, sixteen-year-old Kylie Galen is eager to discover what her abilities might be, but an interfering ghost and a rogue vampire on a murdering rampage get in the way of her search.… (more)

86 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,003,074 books! | Top bar: Always visible