Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Blood Wounds by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Blood Wounds (edition 2011)

by Susan Beth Pfeffer (Author)

Member:Luna_Kai
Title:Blood Wounds
Authors:Susan Beth Pfeffer (Author)
Info:HMH Books for Young Readers (2011), Edition: 1, 256 pages

Blood Wounds by Susan Beth Pfeffer

I’ve had this ARC on my shelf for a while now. I couldn’t bring myself to read something that seemed so heavy. But after picking it up I realized that it wasn’t as heavy as I thought it would be. Willa is really your average teenager of a blended family. Her mother, stepfather and stepsisters all seem like one big happy family; until the new that Willa’s father killed his wife and two of his three daughters. Everyone thinks that “Budge” is on his way to Willa and her mother, though they aren’t sure what for.

We go on the journey with Willa as she heads to the place where she was born to attend the funerals of the sisters she never knew. With so much of that part of her past not remembered, since she was like 4 when her mother got them out, it is hard for her to be there. She wants to know what her father was like in the years that she didn’t know him and while there she meets the older brother that she doesn’t remember having.
Back home after the funerals, Willa realizes that things aren’t as perfect and “happy” as she thought. Everything is changing and Willa seems to be getting the short end of the stick as always. When Willa is informed that she has the chance to accept an inheritance she isn’t really sure what to do. In the end I believe she made the right decision and I was happy with the way the book ended.
  chaoticbooklover | Dec 26, 2018 |
Terrible. Honestly, terrible even for YA -- insulting to the discerning teenage reader.

First of all, the plot that occurs after the murder is all nonsense. Trying to avoid spoilers here, but her parents would never let her go there, that family friend would never leave her alone with strangers, and the local police would never allow her to wander around unescorted. I guess it shouldn't be unexpected, then, that everything she does in the town is ridiculous and idiotic and her mom continues to be an immature mess the rest of the novel.

The writing packs zero emotional punch, which is strange for something about dysfunctional families uncovering their buried secrets. The "point" of her self-harm is frankly insulting to real sufferers of mental illness. The "twist" of her perfect family not being perfect was poorly done and again, because there was no emotional element to the writing, we never understand anything about her nonsensical actions. And why was her uncle in a cult? What does that even mean? It's never explained, just mentioned offhandedly multiple times without resolution. You can't just have a person be in a cult without being part of the plot. Did the author forget to include that subplot or something? Or was that just code for "he became a Buddhist/Mormon/other religion of which the author does not approve"?

Not recommended. ( )
  sparemethecensor | Dec 25, 2015 |
possible review soon
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
A dark and powerful family drama. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
As I was thinking about what rating to give I found myself doing that eeny meanie my-nee mo thing. I was stuck between 3 and 4. Most of the book was just okay. But with juvie and ya books I try to review and rate from the perspective of how that marketed group would feel. Luckily I have a house full of girls at various ages and a lot of times I get them to read the books to and then we discuss them if a review has me stumped. That's where I was with this one and I agreed with my daughter that there were parts of it that were interesting for the most part it was just so-so. So together we landed on 3 stars. ( )
  justablondemoment | Feb 6, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0547496389, Hardcover)

Blood can both wound and heal . . .

Willa is lucky: She has a loving blended family that gets along. Not all families are so fortunate. But when a bloody crime takes place hundreds of miles away, it has an explosive effect on Willa’s peaceful life. The estranged father she hardly remembers has murdered his new wife and children, and is headed east toward Willa and her mother. Under police protection, Willa discovers that her mother has harbored secrets that are threatening to boil over. Has everything Willa believed about herself been a lie? But as Willa sets out to untangle the mysteries of her past, she also keeps her own secret—one that has the potential to tear apart all she holds dear.

On the Origins of the Title Blood Wounds
By Susan Beth Pfeffer

Dear Amazon Reader,

On occasion I’m asked how I come up with titles for my books. Sometimes the publisher names the book, and sometimes I suggest a name we all agree to.

Blood Wounds is entirely my title. I knew almost from the beginning I wanted the word "Blood" in the title. "Blood" is one of my favorite words (another of my favorite words is "gaunt," but I’ve yet to figure out how to use it in anything besides the occasional statement of fact that gaunt I ain’t). "Blood" sounds like blood, thick and crimson and pulsing and everything else blood is and does. Also it means family, and the novel is about family. So "Blood" it would be.

Then I needed something to follow that "Blood." I liked the way it sounded with "Wounds," so I promptly raced to Amazon and typed "Blood Wounds" in its ever-useful search box, and found no books with that title.

Well, we all know that there are no books with that title because "blood wounds" doesn’t mean anything. Bullet wounds, knife wounds, sure. Wounds get caused by things going into your body. Blood is best left in your body from the get-go.

My way around the problem that the title Blood Wounds doesn’t mean anything is to say, "Think of 'wounds' as a verb. Then think of 'blood' as meaning family. See? A family can hurt you. 'Blood wounds!'"

I’ve convinced one and one-half friends and my publishing house that my title has meaning. I hope I’ve convinced you, too!

As always,
Susan Beth Pfeffer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:46 -0400)

Willa seems to have a perfect life as a member of a loving blended family until the estranged father she barely remembers murders his wife and children, then heads toward Willa and her mother.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,461,882 books! | Top bar: Always visible