Who Was Dr. Seuss? by Janet Pascal

Who Was Dr. Seuss? (edition 2011)

by Janet Pascal, Nancy Harrison (Illustrator)

3122035,693 (4.43)None
Member:DanaLD
Title:Who Was Dr. Seuss?
Authors:Janet Pascal
Other authors:Nancy Harrison (Illustrator)
Info:Grosset & Dunlap (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 112 pages
Tags:Biography, series, author, Seuss

Who Was Dr. Seuss? by Janet Pascal

1)This is an excited biography about a man who touched so many hearts with his books and is still quotes bit millions of people all over the world. This is a great book to read and really get into.

2) I really enjoyed this book and can see myself using it in my future classroom and adding it to my personal library. I think kids would really enjoy it just as much as I did.

3) a way to incorporate it in a classroom is maybe come his birthday, which is considered a holiday, use it to read this book and really learn about his life and read some of his more famous books. You could also take his life and create a timeline in class together and help them realize what came first or after or at the same time.
  JacquelineSimmons | Nov 30, 2016 |
I really liked this biography of Dr. Seuss. It was entertaining to read, it flowed nicely, and it kept the reader interested. I really liked the illustrations throughout the book. Although it was a chapter book there were simple black and white pictures on just about every page which I thought did a good job of breaking up the text and enhancing the story. For example, in Chapter 2, they talked about Dr. Seuss's time at Dartmouth and how he wrote for the school's humor magazine and how he met his first wife Helen, all accompanied by simple illustrations to enhance the text. I also really liked that throughout the story the author gave the reader background information to help you better understand what was going on in the world at that time. For example, the book was talking about when "The Cat In The Hat" came out and they gave you an information page taking about the baby boom and how after WWII American families had lots of babies (pg. 74). I also really liked the timelines in the back of the book comparing Dr. Seuss's life to a timeline of the world. I think the main idea of this book is to give the reader a true sense of who Dr. Seuss was and how much he loved writing and telling stories. ( )
  shax1 | Oct 23, 2016 |
I believe Pascal did a great job by incorporating background information about Dr.Seuss as well as talking about the era he was born in to help children learn about the depression. It was neat how the book was all in black and white to make it look like the book was written back in the day.

This book shows to its readers that it's okay if you don't know exactly who you want to be when you grow up after graduating high school. Also, it's okay to jump around to see what you like because eventually you'll find what you love. ( )
  mwatki5 | Oct 13, 2016 |
Summary:
This was an amazing book for children to read to learn about someone who is near and dear to many people's hearts. In elementary schools, Dr. Seuss' birthday is a holiday in itself, and his birthday is actually known as Read Across America Day. With all of this love and admiration for one man, it makes perfect sense for such a fantastic biography made about him for children to read about. From the funny stories (that are not found in other biographies about Dr. Seuss) such as, how his sister nicknamed herself "Marnie Mecca Ding Ding Guy" to the wonderful illustrations and the timelines that are a huge deal to certain grades like second grade, this story lends itself to so many interesting uses in the classroom while remaining interesting and entertaining for young children as well.

Personal Reaction:
I really liked this biography a lot. I have read many Dr. Seuss biographies in my time, and this one is my all time favorite! I will definitely be using it in later years in my own classroom because I think the kids will really relate to the stories that are told and the illustrations. I thought this was a really great book, and I can't wait to read more of these biographies from Janet Pascal and Nancy Harrison (illustrator).

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Use the timelines to practice placing some things from Dr. Seuss' life in chronological order.
2. Use this story as part of an Author Study over Dr. Seuss. Some items from this study would include: Book Reports, descriptive research reports, Writing Prompts over some of his books, and so on.
3. Use Dr. Seuss as a person to write a biographical report over for a presentation. A visual item to accompany this presentation would include a biography bottle, a presentation plate, or a poster board. ( )
  Toods | Apr 17, 2016 |
This biography of Dr.Seuss is a great way to introduce famous people and to help students research a person if they were writing a paper. This wouldn't be read aloud but a book students should use on their own individually. The best grades would be 3-6 grade. It may be easy for 5/6th graders but it is a great resource for them if they needed an introduction or help researching. Dr. Seuss had a fascinating life and his books are classics that most students know and love.
  jrudnick | Apr 11, 2016 |

Ted Geisel loved to doodle from the time he was a kid. He had an offbeat, fun-loving personality. He often threw dinner parties where guests wore outrageous hats! And he donned quirky hats when thinking up ideas for books-?like his classic The Cat in the Hat. This biography, with black-and-white illustrations throughout, brings an amazingly gifted author/illustrator to life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

Ted Geisel loved to doodle from the time he was a kid. He had an offbeat, fun-loving personality. He often threw dinner parties where guests wore outrageous hats! And he donned quirky hats when thinking up ideas for books like his classic The Cat in the Hat. This biography, with black-and-white illustrations throughout, brings an amazingly gifted author/illustrator to life.… (more)

10 wanted1 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,616,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible