Who Was Dr. Seuss? by Janet Pascal

Who Was Dr. Seuss? (edition 2011)

by Janet Pascal, Nancy Harrison (Illustrator)

Member:DanaLD
Title:Who Was Dr. Seuss?
Authors:Janet Pascal
Other authors:Nancy Harrison (Illustrator)
Info:Grosset & Dunlap (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 112 pages
Tags:Biography, series, author, Seuss

Who Was Dr. Seuss? by Janet Pascal

Recently added byDeniseWA, TrinityDay, private library, ensorsbooks, DNIEC, TriciaKearns, kncp

Summary:
This was an amazing book for children to read to learn about someone who is near and dear to many people's hearts. In elementary schools, Dr. Seuss' birthday is a holiday in itself, and his birthday is actually known as Read Across America Day. With all of this love and admiration for one man, it makes perfect sense for such a fantastic biography made about him for children to read about. From the funny stories (that are not found in other biographies about Dr. Seuss) such as, how his sister nicknamed herself "Marnie Mecca Ding Ding Guy" to the wonderful illustrations and the timelines that are a huge deal to certain grades like second grade, this story lends itself to so many interesting uses in the classroom while remaining interesting and entertaining for young children as well.

Personal Reaction:
I really liked this biography a lot. I have read many Dr. Seuss biographies in my time, and this one is my all time favorite! I will definitely be using it in later years in my own classroom because I think the kids will really relate to the stories that are told and the illustrations. I thought this was a really great book, and I can't wait to read more of these biographies from Janet Pascal and Nancy Harrison (illustrator).

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Use the timelines to practice placing some things from Dr. Seuss' life in chronological order.
2. Use this story as part of an Author Study over Dr. Seuss. Some items from this study would include: Book Reports, descriptive research reports, Writing Prompts over some of his books, and so on.
3. Use Dr. Seuss as a person to write a biographical report over for a presentation. A visual item to accompany this presentation would include a biography bottle, a presentation plate, or a poster board. ( )
  Toods | Apr 17, 2016 |
This biography of Dr.Seuss is a great way to introduce famous people and to help students research a person if they were writing a paper. This wouldn't be read aloud but a book students should use on their own individually. The best grades would be 3-6 grade. It may be easy for 5/6th graders but it is a great resource for them if they needed an introduction or help researching. Dr. Seuss had a fascinating life and his books are classics that most students know and love.
  jrudnick | Apr 11, 2016 |
I would use this book in a second or third grade split classroom. I would use it in this setting due to its length and quirkiness. Students of this age would really enjoy the information on one of the authors they are so familiar with. I would use this book to teach my students on how to write a rhyming book. They would strategically create a rhyming book such as one of Dr. Seuss'. ( )
  Amanda11 | Apr 11, 2016 |
I liked this chapter bibliography on Dr. Seuss! I believe the illustrations definitely added to the overall quality of the book. Specifically on pages 26 and 27, there is a end-to-end page illustration of [Dr. Seuss] and his friend 'taking canes and whacking away the rats'. I think providing this visual picture for students to look at, and understand the 'older fashion' language, is beneficial to student understanding of what actually happened in that particular incident. I believe the fact that the illustrations were black or white wasn't an issue, because this is a chapter book and may be seen as a little more 'sophisticated'. The language used was appropriate for the targeted age group and definitely provided opportunities for students to develop a broader vocabulary. For example, there is one page that describes Prohibition. This is often a topic touched upon within grades 4th-6th, so having the page give a short description, while using language appropriate to the targeted audience, is absolutely beneficial. I believe the main idea of this book was basically all of the accomplishments Dr. Seuss had and the journeys and obstacles he went through to get to where he did. He never gave up to create awesome literature for all youth despite his challenges! ( )
  hfetty1 | Apr 11, 2016 |
Who Was Dr. Seuss by Janet Pascal tells the story of the popular author, Dr. Seuss. I like this book for its illustrations and other extra-textual features. Every few pages there are illustrations to go along with what is happening on that page. For example, when talking about Dr. Seuss’s childhood, it shows a picture of him as a child drawing on his bedroom walls. I also really like other graphics the author included. For example, there is a timeline of his life and a timeline of important historical events during Dr. Seuss’s life. The main idea of this book is to inform children about Dr. Seuss’s life. ( )
  jgreen87 | Mar 1, 2016 |

Ted Geisel loved to doodle from the time he was a kid. He had an offbeat, fun-loving personality. He often threw dinner parties where guests wore outrageous hats! And he donned quirky hats when thinking up ideas for books-?like his classic The Cat in the Hat. This biography, with black-and-white illustrations throughout, brings an amazingly gifted author/illustrator to life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

Ted Geisel loved to doodle from the time he was a kid. He had an offbeat, fun-loving personality. He often threw dinner parties where guests wore outrageous hats! And he donned quirky hats when thinking up ideas for books like his classic The Cat in the Hat. This biography, with black-and-white illustrations throughout, brings an amazingly gifted author/illustrator to life.… (more)

10 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,475,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible