Who Was Dr. Seuss? by Janet Pascal

Who Was Dr. Seuss? (edition 2011)

by Janet Pascal, Nancy Harrison (Illustrator)

Series: Who Was...

Member:DanaLD
Title:Who Was Dr. Seuss?
Authors:Janet Pascal
Other authors:Nancy Harrison (Illustrator)
Info:Grosset & Dunlap (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 112 pages
Tags:Biography, series, author, Seuss

Who Was Dr. Seuss? by Janet Pascal

Recently added byIread20, Iread23, Cottonwood.School, private library, GSNorthEdmond, VictoriaVisher

Before I sat down to read this story, I did not know how I could find any chapter book biography interesting. Once I started reading this book, my outlook changed. The author of this book wrote a very interesting and captivating biography on the life of Dr. Seuss. The frequent illustrations throughout the book helped me visualize the events by seeing actual depictions. Throughout the book, there were also small anecdotes about the history of the time frame the biography was depicting in that moment. This gave me, the reader, a better understanding of the time periods throughout the story. Both of these features made this biography that much more interesting. Also, the author kept a very light tone throughout the book, while also including humor. The voice of this story interested me, as the reader by staying informal. The main idea of this entire book was to tell about the life of Dr. Seuss. The author gave me the important facts, while still keeping it interesting and relevant to the reader. ( )
  cyoung23 | Sep 29, 2014 |
There are two reasons that I liked the informational book “Who Was Dr. Seuss?” by Janet B. Pascal. First, the chapter book text is accompanied by illustrations on almost every page; this helps students visualize what they are reading. This is important because since this chapter book is for younger students, the pictures may help their comprehension. For example, in the beginning of the book when Dr. Seuss’ is introduced as a young boy (Theodor) it explains about his family and what he loves to do. His sister is shown in one picture, and then when it tells that he loves hanging out at zoos, a zoo is shown. Second, when there is language that is difficult to understand in the biography, there are definitions or charts to help students understand. For example, when the book talks about prohibition there are two pages describing what it was, and where it happened. The big idea of this story is to learn about Dr. Seuss’ life and understand his greatest accomplishments. ( )
  rschin1 | Apr 10, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book because all the information occurred and was explained in chronological order. The chapters went according to how they happened in his life and at the end on page 102, there is a timeline of Theodore Seuss Geisel's life. The illustrations were very detailed, although the black and white could loose the reader, instead of keeping them interested. I did not know that he came from a not so wealthy family before he started writing and publishing books. I learned a lot more information about Dr. Seuss than I ever had known. I liked how he connected some of his books to the real world. For example, on page 63, he states, "Horton is willing to risk everything for the Whos because 'a person's a person no matter how small.' Ted dedicated the book to a Japanese friend." Also in today's society, it made me laugh when I read page 64 about when Helen came home, but was sick because men always say they don't need to rely on women. Dr. Seuss clearly stated that he couldn't even balance a checkbook without her help.

The main message that Janet Pascal is trying to get across is to let the readers become aware of who the real Dr. Seuss is and who it is behind those funny books that we all enjoy reading. ( )
  kwisem1 | Feb 25, 2014 |
Summary: this book tells the life of Ted Geisel, his love of crazy, outrageous things,and how he became Dr. Seuss.

Personal: i love how the illustrations also told the story. This book Definitely takes kids into the minds of Dr. Seuss and who he was.

Personal. 1.This would be fun to start a studying for the day of Dr. Suess's birthday. and just let the class have a Dr. Seuss day

2. they could find pieces of dr. seuss's personality in some of his books in a group activity
  Jalyn.Yarbrough | Nov 17, 2013 |
Summary: The book begins by introducing Dr Seuss by his real name, Theodore Seuss Geisel. Referred to hereafter as Ted, the book chronicles milestones that made Ted into the author children everywhere know. Ted's comfortable turned tumultuous childhood, his struggles with school and his knack for pranks and exaggeration make him a very likable person early on. As the struggles of education and money compound on Ted, he continues to work hard at what he loves and enjoys, and surrounds himself with people he loves that influence and encourage him. Mentions of many of Ted's books are made, as well as the background for how some stories were created. Overall, Dr. Seuss was doodler that put fantastic stories to fantastic creatures. His passion for education and social change are evident by this biography.

Personal Reaction: I loved this biography. I never followed Dr. Seuss much as a child, but as an adult I find immense value in his books and how they hold a young reader (or listener's) attention. This biography gave me a better understanding of the author and a higher level of appreciation for his works. I may need to revisit many of them and present them to students I work with.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Have students discuss Dr. Seuss books they have read before or introduce one of his books to them.
2. Students could try writing a short story from a list of given words. ( )
  Sara.rivera | Nov 11, 2013 |

Ted Geisel loved to doodle from the time he was a kid. He had an offbeat, fun-loving personality. He often threw dinner parties where guests wore outrageous hats! And he donned quirky hats when thinking up ideas for books-?like his classic The Cat in the Hat. This biography, with black-and-white illustrations throughout, brings an amazingly gifted author/illustrator to life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:52 -0400)

Ted Geisel loved to doodle from the time he was a kid. He had an offbeat, fun-loving personality. He often threw dinner parties where guests wore outrageous hats! And he donned quirky hats when thinking up ideas for books like his classic The Cat in the Hat. This biography, with black-and-white illustrations throughout, brings an amazingly gifted author/illustrator to life.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,993,143 books! | Top bar: Always visible