Who Was Dr. Seuss? by Janet Pascal

Who Was Dr. Seuss? (edition 2011)

by Janet Pascal, Nancy Harrison (Illustrator)

Member:DanaLD
Title:Who Was Dr. Seuss?
Authors:Janet Pascal
Other authors:Nancy Harrison (Illustrator)
Info:Grosset & Dunlap (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 112 pages
Tags:Biography, series, author, Seuss

Who Was Dr. Seuss? by Janet Pascal

Summary:
This book is biography about the wonderful Dr. Seuss. In 1985 Princeton University awarded honorary degrees to 6 people. Honorary degrees are given to people who have done great things in the world. The student who attended the Princeton ceremony were very excited for a grey hair man named Theodor Seuss Geisel also known as Dr. Seuss. The main message of the book is to allow readers to know and understand this wonderful man and help readers relate him with his wonderful books. Ted (Theodor) struggled in school but always had a sense of humor and played pranks that made him a likable person. When times were hard he enjoyed surrounding himself with people who encouraged him to keep writing. The biography mentioned his fantastic books and characters and explained his passion for education. His books were highly recognized in kindergarten classrooms. This book is geared toward younger readers and the pictures are great to help the students understand and visualize Dr. Seuss better.
Personal Review:
I have read Dr. Seuss book my entire life and love his work. Dr. Seuss has an amazing outlook on education and I think his work is magnificent. When I have my classroom, it will be full of his books. I really enjoyed how this was geared more toward younger children. I had never read this book before and I really enjoyed it.
Classroom Extension: You could have a class discussion about Dr. Seuss and ask the students what are their favorite book from Dr. Seuss and Why?
Classroom Extension: Have the students pick a Dr. Seuss and have them write a short paragraph to summarize the book. ( )
  ekelley05 | Apr 19, 2017 |
This biography is about Dr. Suess' life from birth until death. It is about his success and fun loving attitude. I love the illustrations in this book, they are different than your normal illustrations and they make reading more fun. Even i learned a lot from this book, for example, he had a lot to do with the word 'nerd', he wasn't an actual doctor, but he used Dr. to basically make fun of himself for dropping out of oxford. He drew WWII illustrations and propaganda. This book gives you an insight on dr. suers's life. i chose this book because i have always been a huge fan of dr.suess. ( )
  shaelyn_smith | Apr 12, 2017 |
"Who Was Dr. Suess?" by Janet Pascal is an informational biography about Theodore Suess Geisel. Before jumping into information on books that he has written, we see a brief background of where he was born and his family. I found it interesting that Dr. Suess' mother was very rhyme oriented as well. He states that this is where he believes his "love of verse" came from. ( )
  SamanthaPollak | Mar 30, 2017 |
In the book, Who Was Dr. Seuss, it takes you into the life of Dr. Seuss. It outlines his childhood and how he always loved to draw. It also highlights Dr. Seuss's funny side, and how he could make any homework assignment into something he enjoyed. His teacher was not a fan of him because of this. When he got older he worked for a book company, and soon got fired because of something illegal he had done. He changed his name to Dr. Seuss and became extremely famous. The central message of Dr. Seuss's life, to me, is that things could always be lightened up. Meaning, Dr. Seuss could make any situation into something funny to make people laugh. That is a great quality to have as a person, and it showed very much in his writing. ( )
  OliviaRubino | Mar 29, 2017 |
Who Was Dr. Seuss? by Janet B. Pascal is an excellent story that answered so many questions I had about the man and then some! How did he get his name? Why did he write kid books? What got him started with the silliness? It is explained so well in this book. Why the DR.? Great book, loved it and love/loved Dr. Seuss! ( )
  MontzaleeW | Jan 23, 2017 |

Ted Geisel loved to doodle from the time he was a kid. He had an offbeat, fun-loving personality. He often threw dinner parties where guests wore outrageous hats! And he donned quirky hats when thinking up ideas for books-?like his classic The Cat in the Hat. This biography, with black-and-white illustrations throughout, brings an amazingly gifted author/illustrator to life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

Ted Geisel loved to doodle from the time he was a kid. He had an offbeat, fun-loving personality. He often threw dinner parties where guests wore outrageous hats! And he donned quirky hats when thinking up ideas for books like his classic The Cat in the Hat. This biography, with black-and-white illustrations throughout, brings an amazingly gifted author/illustrator to life.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,381,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible