Variant by Robison Wells

Series: Variant (1)

Authors:Robison Wells
Info:HarperTeen (2011), Hardcover, 384 pages

Variant by Robison Wells

Full review coming soon! ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
Full review coming soon! ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
I must've found this on a list of "if you liked Divergent and the Hunger Games, you might like this" books, as it's definitely in the same genre, although it's by no means the same story. Upon reflection I find the story a bit unsatisfying, given that the categories of kids in the school didn't necessarily reflect their true personalities, as in Divergent. But I was so gripped by the story as I read it that I finished it in one day, so it certainly has that going for it! I'm curious enough to want to read the next in the series. ( )
  PerpetualRevision | Oct 25, 2015 |
It really was similar to Maze Runner. For the first half of the book, I thought it was too similar. But then it got interesting. And the ending? Let's just say I want the next book NOW! ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
Benson Fisher thought that a scholarship to Mayfield Academy would be the ticket out of his dead-end life. He was wrong. Now he's trapped in a school that's surrounded by a razor wire fence, where video cameras monitor his every move - and where breaking the rules equals death. All Benson wants is to find a way out. But when he stumbles upon the real secret the school has been hiding, he realizes that escape may be impossible. ( )
  jepeters333 | Feb 19, 2015 |
To Erin, my best friend.
This isn't one of those scare-you-straight schools, is it? I asked Ms. Vaughn, as we passed through the heavy chain-link gate.

At Maxfield Academy, the choices are:

Benson must join one in order to survive.
But he is determined to escape.
And he can trust only himself.

Benson Fisher thought that a scholarship to Maxfield Academy would be the ticket out of his dead-end life.

He was wrong.

Now he's trapped in a school that's surrounded by a razor-wire fence. A school where video cameras monitor his every move. Where there are no adults. Where the kids have split into groups in order to survive.

Where breaking the rules equals death.

But when Benson stumbles upon the school's real secret, he realizes that playing by the rules could spell a fate worse than death, and that escape — his only real hope for survival — may be impossible.

After years in foster homes, seventeen-year-old Benson Fisher applies to New Mexico's Maxfield Academy in hopes of securing a brighter future, but instead he finds that the school is a prison and no one is what he or she seems.

17 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,891,964 books! | Top bar: Always visible