Wherever You Go by Heather Davis

Wherever You Go

by Heather Davis

First I want to say I really enjoyed reading this book. Second I have to say I used up a whole box of tissues reading this emotion packed book.

Each of the characters in Wherever You Go touched my heart in one way or another. Holly, is the sad, broken hearted and heavily burdened girl. The one I wanted to reach out and hug throughout this book! Rob, the boy who is dead and Holly morns. I wanted so much to jump in the book and try to help Rob cross over! Then we have Jason, Oh My...Jason is the sweetheart that tries to help Holly in so many ways throughout this book. But instead he ends up hurting her in the long run and he doesn't even realize it till its too late.

The story plot of Wherever You Go, feels so real when you are reading it, that you feel as if you are a ghost right next to Rob and trying your best to help Holly, Robs family and his friends. Its as if you are watching all of it unfold around you, but you can't do anything to help any of them!

I will say this as well, the ending of this story surprised me!!! I didn't see that one coming.

All in all, Wherever You Go is a great contemporary Young Adult book. Just bring tissues when you read it! ( )
  Alisbookshelf | Feb 1, 2012 |
MY THOUGHTS
LOVED IT

Holiday Mullen is struggling with life after a devastating car accident in which her boyfriend, Rob, dies. Her mother is working two jobs, her ailing grandfather has moved in with them, she has to babysit her little sister Lena and now Holly must do everything all while trying to be a high school senior. Her grandfather, Aldo, is suffering from Alzheimer's and begins to hear and see a young man named Roberto. Roberto turns out to be Rob, Holly's boyfriend in ghost form with whom he can communicate easily with even though he has problems getting his point across with everyone else. To complicate matters even more, Holly and Rob's best friend, Jason, are now finding themselves falling in love.

The story is told by each character, Rob, Holly and Jason in alternating chapters. As Holly and Jason start to have feelings for each other, Rob confides to Aldo everything he thinks he did wrong in his relationship with Holly and confesses that he believes he caused the accident. Rob seems to wander the earth in an endless progression from place to place trying to help where he can. Jason steals my heart when he tries to lighten Holly's load while Holly tries really hard to do it all herself.

This book brought tears to my eyes several times since there are parts so sad you wonder if Holly will ever make it out of her sad existence and find some happiness. You wonder if Rob will ever find peace and if Aldo will find some way to communicate. Davis does a wonderful job of bringing together a struggling family and shows that a teen can be responsible while still being true to herself. I really wonder how many teens there are like Holly in this world, struggling to help keep their family just exisiting and getting by. ( )
  MaryinHB | Dec 31, 2011 |
Wherever You Go is told through three different perspectives: Holly (first person), Jason (third person), and Rob’s ghost (second person). This has the potential to be a bit overwhelming, but Heather Davis manages to pull it off. The different points of view are so distinct from each other that it’s impossible to be confused. While this style doesn’t exactly make the book feel completely fluid, it does prove to make Wherever You Go stand out. The three storylines all tie together in a beautiful way.

One of the best things about Wherever You Go is its ability to evoke emotion in the reader. There are so many moments that left me simmering with outrage or smiling with delight. The chapters involving Holly are the most powerful, particularly because of her incredibly challenging situation. It’s easy to be awed by Holly’s immense compassion and patience, but it’s also easy to become increasingly frustrated with her mother. Holly’s mother brings up an interesting point for discussion—is it okay to saddle your daughter with so much responsibility that she is unable to have a life of her own?

Wherever You Go has a serious storyline, but things aren’t all doom and gloom—there are moments of hope, moments of laughter, and moments of love. The budding relationship between Holly and Jason is positively adorable, and the things they do together (namely, bring joy to Holly’s grandfather) are so heartwarming. Also heartwarming is the connection between Aldo (Holly’s grandfather) and Rob’s ghost. They have quite a bit in common, and the things they talk about really make you think. At first, the infusion of a teensy bit of supernatural doesn’t feel entirely necessary because of Wherever You Go’s strong realistic themes, but because of the storyline between Aldo and Rob, it’s completely validated.

Wherever You Go is a heartwarming and heartbreaking story of letting go that fans of contemporary YA will surely enjoy. Its themes are poignant, its characters are lovable, and its story is captivating. Wherever You Go delivers insight into the lives of three very complicated teens, and ultimately made me feel grateful for what I have. ( )
  renkellym | Nov 25, 2011 |
his book really touch my heart.I loved that at every turn of the page heart ache split out but also a new healing began.

What I liked most about this book is the great plot line of love and forgiveness. I loved that the reader see the affect of Rob's death not just on Holly but on his friends and family. As the story progresses, the reader also gets to see things from Rob's point of view and how he feels. this is really a unique element to the story that develop well over the course of the plot line.

The love interest in this book is so great! I loved that while Holly and Jason are both learning to forgive and move on from what happen that night, that is gave them peace. The both comforted each other, loving one another unconditionally. They both know what it is like to loose something. It only makes it hard for them to learn to live and let go.

I really like how in the end after all secrets are exposed, how well everyone fell into a state of peace. For so long people kept blaming themselves, anger, hurt and bitter. I am happy that the ending gave a hope to a new beginning. All of the point of view switches were right on target and did not confuse me.

If you want to read a book on love lost and found again, this is your book. Wherever You Go deals with the aftermath of heartache but learning to live once again. To forgive what happen in the past and move forward. Wherever You Go is a beautifully written story on finding the strength to live. ( )
  Bookswithbite | Nov 14, 2011 |
Wherever You Go is an emotional roller coaster with three main characters who evoke sympathy, pain and the different forms of love. Ms. Davis wrote the character's well, and their voices are distinct. Even if she didn't use different point of views, I could keep their voice straight. The perspectives all piece together well, and does not take away from the flow of the story.
This is certainly a unique form of the love triangle, and I think that it's development and resolution are perfect.
Wherever You Go deals with so many issues, but it does it well. The characters realistically struggle and come to terms with grief, depression, caring for your family, absence of parents, Alzheimer disease, love and loss.
I love the character of Aldo, Holly's grandpa in this story. He is a perfect door for the ghost of Rob to have a voice in the world, and he has much to offer even if he is frequently locked into himself.
The story has an amazing ending, and wrapped things up better than I could've hoped. Contemporary and paranormal fans alike should give this a read.
  brandileigh2003 | Nov 6, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 054750151X, Hardcover)

A poignant story about making peace with the past and opening your heart to love.

Seventeen-year-old Holly Mullen has felt lost and lonely ever since her boyfriend, Rob, died in a tragic accident. But she has no idea that as she goes about her days, Rob’s ghost is watching over her. He isn’t happy when he sees his best friend, Jason, trying to get close to Holly—but as a ghost, he can do nothing to stop it. As their uncertain new relationship progresses, the past comes back to haunt Holly and Jason. Her Alzheimer’s-stricken grandfather claims to be communicating with the ghost of Rob. Could the messages he has for Holly be real? And if so, how can the loved ones Rob left behind help his tortured soul make it to the other side?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:19 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old Holly Mullen, overwhelmed with responsibility at home, grieving over her boyfriend Rob's tragic death, and confused by the sudden attention of his best friend, Jason, is further upset when her Alzheimer's-stricken Papa Aldo claims to be having conversations with Rob's ghost.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,363,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible