Monkey by Jeff Stone
171669,515 (4)8

English (5)  French (1)  All languages (6)
I love this series. I don't read the books in order and I don't have to. Each book has its own version of the characters' history, told through their eyes, and they all come together as one unit once you have completed them. I would highly recommend reading them in order, however, just because that is probably the best way to enjoy the story of the young monks.

I don't know how the author manages to make these stories so suspenseful and action packed, but I am not kidding when I tell you the fighting scenes keep you tense as you read them. I often found myself having to relax when I had finished reading a fight scene because they are written so well they sweep you up into the action. All of a sudden you realize your neck is tense and you are sitting forward, devouring every word, ready to have someone jump out of the book at you. It is just so well done it is almost unbelievable. I can see how young readers who enjoy martial arts would love this series. Parents be ware, I consistently read these books in one sitting, so give it to your child in the morning so that they will come when you call them for dinner. I don't think they would be able to put it down in order to come to the table. ( )
  mirrani | Mar 9, 2016 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
This story is told from Malao's point of view. After Ying's invasion on Cangzhen, only Malao, Long, Seh, Hok and Fu made it out alive. At the start of the invasion, the Grandmaster told them to run and spread out so that they would not be cought as easly. Now Malao is alone and desides to go back. He sees Grandmaster get killed, helps Hok bury the body, and runs away. After alittle while, he sees a monkey troop attacking bandits for their gold while the bandits are having fun killing them. Malao decides he needs to do something so he fights them but gets caught. His brother Seh rescues him and Malao fights and wins a duel with a bandit. Malao tells Seh about what happened in Cangzhen and goes to find Hok. They go find Fu but get caught along with him. On the way back, they somehow escape with the help of Fu's "friend". Hok disapears and Malao and Fu go to the Shaolin temple. On the way, mong tells them Seh went to Shaolin's temple to warn them about an invasion. They arrive too late and has to face a traitor warrior monk named Tsung. What will happen next....?

I like this book. It was so suspensefull and exciting, I couldn't put the book down. The author described the Kong Fu moves in the story very well and the story-line was great!. I can't wait to read the next book! ( )
  crazygemtrees | Nov 10, 2010 |
Sweet! Humorous, interesting. ( )
  nevinr3 | Jan 7, 2008 |
a delightful and at times comical look at the events introduced in Tiger. This time, the picture begins to fill in. ( )
  heidilove | Feb 16, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037583074X, Paperback)

At 11-years-old, Malao is the youngest of the Five Ancestors. Master of the monkey fighting style, he’s curious and quick, fast and fun-loving. But now, with the destruction of the temple and the deaths of his older brothers and Grandmaster, Malao the fun-loving monkey is forced to face things he’d rather not. As he grapples with these new and unwelcome feelings, Malao has an encounter with a dangerous band of bandits, is adopted by a troop of monkeys commanded by a one-eyed albino, and hears tantalizing rumors of a mysterious recluse called the Monkey King, who is said to act, and look, a lot like him. . . .

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:33 -0400)

After soldiers of the new Emperor, led by Ying, engage in a fierce battle with the warrior-monks, Malao "the monkey" and his brothers rely on the ancient arts to help set things right.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,956,356 books! | Top bar: Always visible