The Last Quest of Gilgamesh (The Gilgamesh…

The Last Quest of Gilgamesh (The Gilgamesh Trilogy)

by Ludmila Zeman

The last part of the triliogy of Gilgamesh stories, this is a very detailed part of the story. I think it may be a bit dark for younger ages, but with illustrations and story line can be a introduction into mythology. ( )
  RuthFinnigan | Jun 8, 2015 |
I really enjoyed reading this story. it reminded me of the first time I read Gilgamesh myself, and how the story really captured my imagination. My daughter asked me quesitons at each page--"What's that, Mama?" "What are those bones doing there?" and that sort of thing. It really engaged her, and she enjoyed it immensely.

The only reason I wouldn't recommend this book is if you have a child who's very easily scared--there are bones that float in the water and that sort of thing, so a child who scares easily wouldn't find this a fun book. ( )
1 vote crashingwaves38 | Jan 31, 2008 |

The final book in Zeman's trilogy takes Gilgamesh on the quest for immortality. On this journey he must pass through a hellish underworld, traverse paradise, cross a burning desert and navigate the Waters of Death. Along the way he meets wise Utnapishtim, a Noah-like survivor of the great flood. Suffering disappointment when his goal is snatched from his grasp, Gilgamesh learns that immortality is found in his good deeds and the magnificent city he has built.

In his final quest, Gilgamesh, still mourning the death of his dear friend Enkidu, sets out to find the key to immortality. His journey is perilous. He must fight ferocious serpents and wild lions. He travels through bitterly cold caves, across scorching deserts, and over the fatal waters of the Sea of Death. Finally he arrives at the palace of Utnapishtim, the only human who knows the secret of immortality. Utnapishtim sets Gilgamesh a test to stay away for six days and seven nights, but Gilgamesh fails. His last hope, a flower of eternal youth, is eaten by the goddess Ishtar, who exacts her revenge. Finally, Enkidu comes from the underworld to show Gilgamesh true immortality: the king will be remembered for his good deeds, courage, and love for his people.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:39 -0400)

Gilgamesh, King of Uruk, makes a dangerous journey in search of the secret of immortality.

Tundra Books

2 editions of this book were published by Tundra Books.

Editions: 0887763804, 0887765289

Livres Toundra

An edition of this book was published by Livres Toundra.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,700,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible