Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Beyond the Grave (Harlequin Teen) by Mara…

Beyond the Grave (Harlequin Teen) (edition 2011)

by Mara Purnhagen

Member:Bookswithbite
Title:Beyond the Grave (Harlequin Teen)
Authors:Mara Purnhagen
Info:Harlequin (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 256 pages

Beyond the Grave by Mara Purnhagen

Originally posted at libriago.blogspot.com

This will be a rather short review because I've already gushed enough about this series previously. When I slip into these books, I lose track of time and get fully immersed in the story.

Needless to say, I enjoyed Beyond the Grave, though not quite as much as the first two. Still, this is an excellent series and one I heartily recommend.

If what I heard is correct, this is the final book in the series. If I have any influence, I would say "Keep on keepin' on" with the series. I'm not nearly tired of reading about Charlotte and her family yet.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a review copy of the book. ( )
  shellwitte | Dec 11, 2013 |
*I received an ARC from NetGalley in return for an honest review*

I felt like this was a great ending to the Past Midnight series. I enjoyed the progression of the story that started in Past Midnight. I've heard it said that you could read this one as a stand-alone, and while that is technically true, I'd recommend reading the first two books in the series or there will be things that don't quite gel.

I enjoyed the added supernatural elements that show up here and I liked how the main characters responded (for the most part...at times, I wanted to shake Charlotte for not seeing what I was seeing! :P)

Go pick it up...it's a fun read and you won't be disappointed. ( )
  emmyson | Oct 9, 2013 |
Oh my! How do I even start? When last we left Charlotte Silver, her mom was in a coma and the Watcher had been subdued.

As you dive into Beyond the Grave, there is immediate intrigue with the mysterious Michael and Noah’s never healing bruise. As Charlotte starts her first semester at college, her mom is still in a coma and has until January before the doctors say they will need to discuss other “options”.

Charlotte and Shane try to keep the family business together while her dad spends every waking moment by her mom’s bedside. With a trip to an old prison to get some footage, weird things start to happen.

The first day of classes hold a few surprises for Charlotte. She runs into Bliss and meets Michael. As Charlotte and Bliss start a new friendly relationship, Charlotte learns that the Watcher is not entirely gone, and turns to bliss for help. Michael keeps showing up where Charlotte least expects it. Who is he?

Meanwhile Noah’s mom and Shane announce that they are engaged, and Noah starts acting strange. First he’s sleepwalking and having no memory of it, and then Charlotte finds out that he is lying to everyone about his whereabouts.

Charlotte must find a way to help her mom wake up, find a way to save Noah and stop the Watcher for good. All without having to worry her dad or Noah’s mom.

Overall I loved how once again I was sucked up into the world of Charlotte Silver. I could not put this book down! I look forward to more from this Author. ( )
  BeccaLyn | Sep 20, 2011 |
I wish I can say that I liked this book more, but I didn't. I have been following this series from the very beginning. And while the first two books I enjoyed immensely, I felt like this book did nothing but repeat itself. Another haunting, more dealing with drama with friends, and boyfriend drama. I was hoping that I get more different element in this book. I still love the paranormal aspect to it but of course wanted something new added as well.

What I liked most about this book are the characters. The main character, Charlotte has come a long way from where she started. She is much more confident in herself and her abilities. She no longer hides in the shadow of her sister. I loved how strong she is and does not give up. She knows what she wants and goes for it. Though you do see her slide a bit, but it makes her characters much more approachable.

The plot of this book is my only gripe. I do like how the reader got to see more of the Watcher and great paranormal aspect. I was just tired of seeing the same fight. You know what I mean? I hoped for a bigger or better fight. Something different in it. I also enjoyed the great family dynamic in it. This family has been through it all. They manged to stick together and not give up.

A great paranormal book with great characters, you want to read this book! If have started this series or have followed it from the beginning, you see the growth of Charlotte and who she is meant to be. Ms. Purnhagen did a good job on closing all the lose ends, and giving the reader a very satisfying ending! ( )
  Bookswithbite | Aug 31, 2011 |
My thoughts:
I absolutely loved book 1 of this series and book 2 was equally awesome. Sorry to say, I was a little disappointed with Beyond the Grave, book 3. I still really enjoyed it but I didn't love it as much as books 1 and 2.

The main reason I didn't love Beyond the Grave was the fact that it wasn't really a ghost story anymore. Too much random paranormal elements for my tastes. The basics that made books 1 and 2 great were still there - the same characters and some of the same types of situations but yeah, there was a lot of 'other' paranormal stuff that just didn't seem to fit.

We met a new character, Michael and at first I was very skeptical because my 'oh no not another love triangle' radar was on full alert. But, thankfully, I was wrong. Michael isn't a love interest but there was a still a problem with him for me. I never got a firm grasp on exactly what he was. He plays this role - again - sort of just thrown into the story and I never saw the point of him being there.

Another issue I had was with the character Bliss. In books 1 and 2 she is the stereotypical bitchy snooty know it all and her and Charlotte never become friends. She isn't even really important to the stories. But in Beyond the Grave, all of a sudden, she is important. First as a confidant of Charlotte - which makes no sense at all and then as a player in the weird paranormal stuff going on - which again, didn't seem to fit - at least to me.

What did I like? Charlotte and her family and friends and everyone I grew to love in books 1 and 2. And even though I didn't like the paranormal elements throw in, I did like the overall story. I liked how everything played out and I liked the tidy ending.

Final verdict:
As the final book to the series, I think Mara did an excellent job tying up loose ends without tying things up too tightly. When I walk away from beloved characters, I want to feel as if they are continuing on without me watching over them and that's exactly how I felt reading the last page of Beyond the Grave.

Is this series worth the read? Defiantly. Especially if you like ghost stories with a few twists. I'm sad to say goodbye to Charlotte and her family and friends but overall, the entire series was a big win for me. ( )
  WilowRaven | Aug 30, 2011 |

Charlotte must find her boyfriend, Noah, who has disappeared three months after suffering a paranormal attack.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,710,018 books! | Top bar: Always visible