Soul of a Chef by Michael Ruhlman

Soul of a Chef (original 2000; edition 2000)

by Michael Ruhlman

Member:unspuncapricorn
Title:Soul of a Chef
Authors:Michael Ruhlman
Info:Viking Adult (2000), Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:food, non-fiction

The soul of a chef: the journey toward perfection by Michael Ruhlman (2000)

I started reading this when I wasn't feeling well, so now the idea of finishing it just makes me feel sick again.
Not your fault, Michael Ruhlman! It was pretty interesting when I was reading it.
  JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |
The three sections are a lot of fun individually, and in retrospect they do hang together, although I wouldn't have said so whilst in the middle of reading. The prose in the Keller section tips over the edge in overblown, and I would have liked more follow-up on the Certified Master Chef participants (did the test change the life of the guy who passed? what about the people who left? what do the people around them think of the whole episode?), and I loved the portraits of the people in the kitchen in the Cleveland chapter. A quite good example of creative nonfiction, all in all. ( )
  cricketbats | Apr 1, 2013 |
I picked up this book because I saw him on a couple episodes of "No Reservations," and I was pleasantly surprised. My eyes glazed over with some of the in-depth descriptions of French and American cooking, and some of the perfectionism made for a boring read, but I was fascinated by the description of the insanity of the Certified Master Chef exam. One of the three chefs profiled in this book is from here in MI (and I loved the now-defunct Five Lakes Grill), and he teaches at Schoolcraft College, where I've had a few amazing dinners. I don't think I'll become an obsessive chef though. ( )
  rkreish | Mar 30, 2013 |
This was a fun book. It can be a little wordy and over the top in parts..but so is the author's enthusiasm for his subject. I have no desire to eat dishes on the culinary levels of these chefs but really enjoyed learning about the process, mechanics and inspirations that drive them. ( )
  suniru | Mar 27, 2012 |
This book contains three “backstage” views on cooking in contemporary America. My favorite two pieces were the opener, describing the excruciating Certified Master Chef exam at the Culinary Institute of America, and the closer, spent in the kitchen of French Laundry — reportedly America’s best restaurant. Both accounts were crammed with detail, enabling the reader to experience an otherwise closed-off world to most of us. Ruhlman does get a bit long-winded and, frankly, over-effusive at the end, especially for someone who gets offended when anyone calls cooking an “art.” But the otherwise fascinating writing more than makes up for that.

Read due to my interest in food and cooking (2006). ( )
  sturlington | May 18, 2011 |
A work that aspires, however humbly, to the condition of art should carry its justification in every line. And art itself may be defined as a single-minded attempt to render the highest kind of justice to the visible universe, by bringing to light the truth, manifold and one, underlying its every aspect. It is an attempt to find in its forms, in its colors, in its light, in its shadows, in the aspects of matter and in the facts of life, what of each is fundamental, what is enduring and essential--their one illuminating and convincing quality--the very truth of their existence...It is, before all, to make you see. -- Joseph Conrad, "The Condition of Art"
What interests me is how the quality of cooking in this country can be followed from a period of simplicity and function to one of goodness and bounty, then to an age of elaboration and excess, back again to functional (and for the most part, mediocre) eating. Finally, we hope, we are now in another epoch of gastronomic excellence. -- James Beard, James Beard's American Cookery
Everything is relative but there is a standard which must not be deviated from, especially with reference to the basic culinary preparations. -- A. Escoffier, Escoffier: The Complete Guide to the Art of Modern Cookery
For my mother, Carole, a beautiful soul
Chef Dieter Doppelfeld leads the way to kitchen station four, followed by two men in lab coats with clipboards.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141001895, Paperback)

For his first book, The Making of a Chef, hands-on journalist Michael Ruhlman attended the most prestigious cooking school in the U.S., the Culinary Institute of America. He also earned his chef's whites and began cooking professionally. Ruhlman ventures further into the secret lives of chefs with his second book, The Soul of a Chef. This enthusiastically researched report is divided into three parts: The first concerns the Certified Master Chef exam, a brutal weeklong cooking marathon that measures the skill levels of professional chefs. The second and third parts of Ruhlman's book are devoted to the careers of two different chefs, Michael Symon of Cleveland's Lola Bistro and Thomas Keller of Napa Valley's legendary French Laundry. The thread connecting these three tales together is Ruhlman's quest for culinary perfection: Does it exist? Is it possible? How is it even measurable? Ruhlman does indeed stumble onto the realization of his high-minded ideal, serving up a palatable conclusion for hard-core foodies equally obsessed with the perfect meal. --Sumi Hahn Almquist

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:47 -0400)

The author explores the lives of the men and women whose goal is to serve perfect food, drawing on the collective experiences of three talented young chefs to reveal the dreams, goals, and ideas of great chefs.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,486,313 books! | Top bar: Always visible