Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick by Joe…

Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick (edition 2011)

by Joe Schreiber

Title:Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick
Authors:Joe Schreiber
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 192 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:audiobooks, young adult, spies

Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick by Joe Schreiber

This was such a fantastic, lightning fast read, that ultimately I was left wishing for more. On one side, Perry's story is of that of a typical young boy struggling to meet his father's expectations and his own dreams of playing in a band.

On the other hand this is a mixed tape of Wanted, Pulp Fiction and Kick Ass, - an explosive action flick full of dark humour and matter of fact violence which forces Perry to come out of his self-imposed shell and fight for his survival and the lives of those he loves.

The catalyst is of course Gobi - an awkward Lithuanian exchange student, who on Perry's prom night magically turns into a lethal, sexy and snarky assassin, bent on revenge, determined to drag Perry through downtown New York while she is dispensing her own brand of bloody justice.

I loved her Eastern European no-nonsense attitude and awkwardness in English, which doesn't detract us from her unexpected pearls of wisdom, and I also felt for both her and Perry, and didn't want to say goodbye. And of course my only complaint was that the story itself felt too short, otherwise, it's much recommended to all the fans of Ally Carter and of aforementioned movies. It was awesome. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Have you ever fantasized that you were living in a Jason Statham movie- even though you were still just yourself and not really anywhere as cool as a real action hero? That you drove the fantastic car, had a hot international assassin on your arm, and had to complete your mission before the night was out or something terrible would happen? Or, are you a stressed out student, always towing the line, doing the “right thing”, trying to wrap your head around college applications… and you need a break? Then, Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick is the book for you! Join Perry for this wild ride through Manhattan on Prom Night!

This book was such fun, in a campy, ripped-from-an-action-movie-script kind of way! There was little to think about and readers can feel free to simply relax and let the plot unfold before them. Characters are almost stock characters - stereotypes or archetypes really - which is in no way detrimental to the experience. And yet, Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick has all of the acts of personal courage and coming of age situations that one looks for in a good piece of young adult fiction. The use of college essay prompts from universities across the country to begin each chapter was a clever device - one that grounds readers in Perry's reality (even when things become far-fetched in his world!), and gives author Joe Schreiber further opportunity to show off his wit and humor.

Enthusiastically recommended for students in grades 9+, or for adult lovers of action movies and young adult literature!

Awards: ALA Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Readers 2012 (Fiction), YALSA 2013 Best Fiction for Young Adults ( )
  Debra_Armbruster | Apr 28, 2015 |
Picked this up at the Book Expo. I think my enjoyment may have been hampered by not being a 15 year old boy. Was still decent fun, and definitely zany. ( )
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
Prologue: Describe a significant experience or achievement and the effect that it had on you. (Harvard)

"You shot me," I said.
Chapter 1: Explain how your experiences as a teenager significantly differ from those of your friends. Include comparisons. (University of Puget Sound)

Gobi was my mom's idea.

Ferris Bueller meets La Femme Nikita in this funny, action-packed young adult novel.

It’s prom night—and Perry just wants to stick to his own plan and finally play a muchanticipated
gig with his band in the Big Apple. But when his mother makes him take Gobija Zaksauskas—their quiet, geeky Lithuanian exchange student—to the prom, he never expects that his ordinary high school guy life will soon turn on its head. Perry finds that Gobi is on a mission, and Perry has no other choice but to go along for a reckless ride through Manhattan’s concrete grid with a trained assassin in Dad’s red Jag.
Infused with capers, car chases, heists, hits, henchmen, and even a bear fight, this story mixes romance, comedy, and tragedy in a true teen coming-of-age adventure—and it’s not over until it’s “au revoir.”

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:14 -0400)

Perry's parents insist that he take Gobi, their quiet, Lithuanian exchange student, to senior prom but after an incident at the dance he learns that Gobi is actually a trained assassin who needs him as a henchman, behind the wheel of his father's precious Jaguar, on a mission in Manhattan.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,886,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible