Kitty Steals the Show by Carrie Vaughn

Kitty Steals the Show (edition 2012)

by Carrie Vaughn

Title:Kitty Steals the Show
Authors:Carrie Vaughn
Info:Tor Books (2012), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:fiction, urban fantasy, werewolves, vampires, kitty norville, 2013

Kitty Steals the Show by Carrie Vaughn

Kitty has been invited to London to give the keynote speech at a conference about paranormals. She is excited to learn and excited to line up interviews for her radio show. But no conference can go smoothly when protesters both favoring and hating paranormals are a constant presence. Also Roman is still agitating in the background in his quest for war.

Kitty, Ben and Cormac have been invited to stay with the master vampire of the city. Ned was a famous Shakespearean actor and knew Shakespeare and other literary lights of the day. Kitty is awed and fascinated by him. But as a vampire, Ben and Cormac don't trust him. Ned arranges for Kitty to meet other vampires who have gathered out of concern for the conference where Kitty sees things a modern American werewolf has trouble handling.

Kitty also meets the werewolf who is the alpha of the British werewolves. And Kitty meets faeries. Kitty is gathering allies for the upcoming war and foments rebellion among the werewolves who are held as property by some of the vampires. She is also trying to find out which vampires are allied with Roman.

When her friend Tyler is kidnapped, Kitty calls on all her allies to help find him including the werewolf alpha, the vampire Ned, and her new human contact who is a descendent of Amelia, the spirit who is sharing headspace with her friend Cormac.

This was an exciting and entertaining addition to the long running Kitty Norville series. I liked the way Kitty firmed up her belief that communication can solve many problems and that conspiracies exposed to the light lose some of their power. ( )
  kmartin802 | Aug 2, 2015 |
I would give this story a four, except that I was greatly disappointed by what I felt was an anticlimactic ending. I think the story would've benefiteed from a more dramatic move. It's been 10 books now. Kitty has earned the right to really shake the world stage in a more impactful way ( )
  Illise_Montoya | Sep 28, 2014 |
The tenth book has the action in London at a conference on Paranatural Studies. The book gets more into how the rest of the supernatural world gets along and how different it is compared to the US. And of course Kitty finds out there is more supernatural out there than she knew. It was more of a setup book for the rest of the series setting up the battle lines against Roman. A good read and will be waiting for the next one.
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
Kitty Norville is taking a holiday from her pack, and even from the US, to attend a conference in Londo. It’s the first conference on the paranatural in the world and it promises to be huge as vampires, werewolves, wizards, the fae as well as doctors, scientists and policy makers all gather to study, share their findings and discuss the many many ramifications of the newly revealed supernatural around the world.

Kitty is due to speak, and on her way over her speech is the main thing preying on her mind. In London she gets to meet up with several old friends and allies who have also gathered for the conference and has great fun being the guest of the Master of London – a Shakespearean actor.

But when she arrives she is also faced with the culture shock of European vampires – and their attitude towards humans and werewolves. But worse still, Roman’s presence is very much felt, his machinations not just threatening Kitty but also the Master of London. Again, Kitty is arrayed against him and again Kitty rallies the forces as more lines are drawn and more allies are made in the Long War against Roman, the Dux Bellorum.

The problem I have with this book is it starts at about 50% in. Before that we have a wonderful amount of foreshadowing and development – which would be great, if I hadn’t read the previous books. As it stands, I learn about Tyler, but nothing new. I learn about Roman, the Dux Bellorum, but nothing new. I learn that Dux Bellorum is plotting and sinister – I knew that – and that vampires look down on werewolves, something I also knew.

I wouldn’t say it was boring to read or painful to read. It wasn’t, it was recapping an interesting world, introducing Kitty to a new setting and introducing a new cast of characters. It was all interesting and a decent revisit of what had passed before and what Kitty was actually involved in now. But it went on too long – there was this whole conference that we barely had chance to see, development of Marid, Antony and Ned that we never really got, even further exploration of Caleb and how being werewolf of all Great Britain and Ireland worked. Since Kitty referenced them, they could have had a greater analysis

There was also an issue, I think, with side plots that, again, added very little to the actual ongoing plot. We had Luis and Esperanza paying a visit and Cormac/Amelia connecting with Amelia’s family, the fae buzzing around Kitty – interesting stories, interesting characters, things I enjoy seeing explored, but adding nothing to the overall plotline. This wouldn’t have been a problem if the whole first half of the book didn’t feel exactly the same way. In short, the first half of the book was interesting, but it also didn’t go anywhere. It was a pleasant meander through interesting scenery – but with absolutely no destination.

Read more ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |
This is the tenth entry in Carrie Vaughn’s Kitty Norville series, and Kitty is visiting London this time to take part in the first International Conference on Paranormal Studies where she is supposed to deliver the keynote speech. To sum it up in advance, it’s a solid, quite entertaining entry in the series but nowhere as good as some previous volumes.

That is partly due to a lack in local colour – you’d expect the author to evoke some London atmosphere and give the readers a sense of place if she goes to the trouble to move her protagonists all the way across the Atlantic. Unfortunately, however, the novel falls short on that account, for all practical purposes it could have taken place in any major American city (although there are some amusing bits about werewolves and plane travel…). Of course, one might argue (and it might even be what Carrie Vaughn had in mind) that you don’t really gather much local colour during International Conferences as you won’t get to see much beyond hotels and conference centres – but even so, it seems a bit of a missed chance.

This is a comparatively minor niggle, though – more serious is that Carrie Vaughn here puts the series’ Big Apocalyptic Masterplot (or BAM, for short) into full throttle, and that I am not particularly impressed by the direction into which it is heading. It seems to be de rigeur for Paranormal Fantasy series these series to have some kind of BAM, and not always to their advantage – I already found it irritating and distracting from what constitues the fun of the series in the final volumes of Kelley Armstrong’s Women of the Otherworld series, and the same happens here.

The strength of this series, in my opinion, has always been in its realism or (maybe a better term, seeing how we’re talking about a Fantasy series here) its down-to-earth-ness, the way Carrie Vaughn’s characters react plausibly to all the supernatural stuff popping up around them, and still go on with their lives in the midst of it. As such, the novels are at their best and most entertaining when they are dealing with small-scale conflicts, when things happen at a personal level that the characters relate to immediately. And the whole apocalyptic setup just does not work very well in this framework. To put it bluntly: Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files do BAM way better than Carrie Vaughn, because the villians in his world are big and mean and scary and generally way over the top. The apocalyptic villains in Carrie Vaughn’s Kitty Norville series come across as mostly… petty. They are working on a supposedly century-long conspiracy to destroy and/or take over the world, but the the way their utter, dastardly evilness shows most prominently is that they bear a grudge against Kitty.

Which again illustrates that the series just is not made for a large-scale canvas but excels where it sticks with intimate portraits, and thankfully Kitty Steals the Show has some of that to offer as well – there are many familiar faces who also happen to attend the Conferences (maybe even too many – I for one would have liked to get to spend some more time with most of them) and some new ones, most remarkably the Vampire Master of London who turns out to be… well, it’s told quite early in the novel, but I still do not want to spoil it – suffice it to say that every lover of Elizabethean drama will give a small squee when his identity is revealed (and no, it’s not Shakespeare). And Kitty as gushing fangirl is just hilarious.
  Larou | Feb 25, 2013 |

Carrie Vaughnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The prey doesn't know it's being hunted.

At the First International Conference on Paranatural Studies in London, Kitty must deal with vampires, werewolves and supernatural beings galore.

133 wanted2 pay5 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,940,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible