A Ball for Daisy by Chris Raschka

A Ball for Daisy

by Chris Raschka

A BALL FOR DAISY is about a little puppy who likes to play with her red ball throughout this entire story line. She likes to sleep with it, run with it, get it stuck, and accidentally pop it while playing with a new friend. The illustrations do a great job of telling the story because there are no words to tell the readers what is going on in the story. This would be a really good book for young readers, or LEA readers (Leeland, Lewison, & Harste, 2013, p. 50, because the child would be able to tell someone what the book was about in their own words, and or language. A fun book like this can give children the opportunity to see how meaningful actions can be, especially without the use of words in a book like this one. ( )
  rharrington30 | Sep 29, 2015 |
The themes of this book were loss, friendship, and a silver lining. ( )
  kesteves | Sep 28, 2015 |
This book has no words, but tells a story through illustrations. The story is that Daisy has a ball that she loves. While playing with a dog friend, the ball gets popped making Daisy sad. The next time they see that friend, they have a new ball for Daisy. This would be a good book for kids that cannot read so they can make up the story themselves. ( )
  kcoleman14 | Sep 24, 2015 |
A Ball For Daisy is a picture book only, no words. It is, however, still quite easy to follow the story. It would make an excellent book to introduce very young kids to the idea of books, and sequential art. ( )
  alanbuffington | Sep 7, 2015 |
A Ball for Daisy is a picture book about a dog named Daisy. She loves her red ball. She plays with it, and even sleeps with it all the time. One day Daisy and her owner go for a walk and they take her ball. The ball gets away from them and bounces over a fence. There Daisy meets a new friend and they play with the ball. Daisy's new friend pops her ball. Daisy is sad. She takes the popped ball home. She tries and tries to play with it but not successfully. She goes home and pouts on the couch with her owner. Finally she falls asleep. The next day her owner and her go to the park again. The other dog (her friend) and her friends owner are there. They have another ball. She and her friend play with the ball. Then her friend gives Daisy the ball and she takes it home and she is happy again.

I like this book. It shows how we can share, forgive, and right a wrong. It reminds me of how much my dog loves his ball. It's a true depiction of how attached we become with things.

How I would extend the lesson is I would talk with the class about how we would handle this situation if it had happened to us. Would we be mad, sad, want to lash out? It would probably be a time to talk about feelings and how our reactions influence the people around us. ( )
  LizaK | Sep 5, 2015 |
For Artemis

Daisy has a red ball that she loves.  One day while playing in the park with a friend, the red ball accidentally popped.  Daisy is very sad.  On her next visit to the park, Daisy is greeted by her friend who has a replacement ball, and this one is blue.  Once again, Daisy is happy.  A wonderful wordless picture book that high lights the simple pleasure of playing with a red ball and how the disappointment of loss is part of everyday life.  Students can be encouraged by Daisy’s friend, who apologized for popping the red ball by replacing it with a blue one.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037585861X, Hardcover)

Winner of the 2012 Randolph Caldecott Medal

This New York Times Bestseller and New York Times Best Illustrated Book relates a story about love and loss as only Chris Rashcka can tell it. Any child who has ever had a beloved toy break will relate to Daisy's anguish when her favorite ball is destroyed by a bigger dog. In the tradition of his nearly wordless picture book Yo! Yes?, Caldecott Medalist Chris Raschka explores in pictures the joy and sadness that having a special toy can bring. Raschka's signature swirling, impressionistic illustrations and his affectionate story will particularly appeal to young dog lovers and teachers and parents who have children dealing with the loss of something special.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:32 -0400)

A wordless picture book showing the fun a dog has with her ball, and what happens when it is lost.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,707,495 books! | Top bar: Always visible