A Ball for Daisy by Chris Raschka

A Ball for Daisy

by Chris Raschka

61514115,832 ()15

A toddler should love this story about a dog and its favorite ball.The illustrations tell the story in this picture book.
  janperrotti | Feb 14, 2015 |
Overall, I wasn't extremely impressed with this book. I grabbed this book at the library when I saw the Caldecott Medal on it. However, when I got home I opened it and noticed that there were no words. Therefore, I would recommend this book for young children that are being read to individually. I would recommend this because when reading the book with an individual child, you could determine what the child is able to comprehend from the pictures. This story could also be used in a writing center, where students could write a story about what happened to Daisy and her ball.

While the illustrations were beautiful water color paintings, I really didn't like how there weren't words in the story because you can't truly read this book. I feel that words would've enhanced the story by helping the plot along. Though there weren't any words, I did like the overall message of the story. The story centered around Daisy and her ball, but then daisy loses the ball. At first Daisy is really upset, but then gains a new friend and a ball at the end of the story, which teaches that you shouldn't be upset when you lose something because something better is coming around the corner. This is an especially great message for young kids because they are so fixated on what they have and don't have that causes a lot of tears and frustration, but this story shows that everything works out at the end and there is no reason to be upset. ( )
  kbork1 | Feb 10, 2015 |
This picture book is a book without words, it tells the story through pictures only. It tells the story of a dog that has many adventures with a big red ball. This is a fantasy literature text.
  ecarlson2014 | Feb 2, 2015 |
I loved this sweet story of Daisyand her trip to the park to play with her ball. Chris Raschka's watercolor illustrations have so much feeling to them! i would use this book with kindergarten and 1st graders to talk about story structure and character feelings. ( )
  amrahmn | Jan 28, 2015 |
Summary:
A Ball for Daisy is about a fun loving dog and her beloved red ball. Daisy ventures to the park with her owner to play but unfortunately an overly enthusiastic new friend deflates her ball. Don’t worry though, by the end, all is right in Daisy’s world again.

Personal reaction:
I have almost always had a rescue dog in my life. I find they enrich our lives. I feel this book does a great job of allowing us to see the world from our furry friend’s point of view. The author does a great job of keeping the story lighthearted and fun with an impressionistic illustration style that some may perceive as bordering on the abstract.

Extension ideas:
The children could draw a picture of what will happen the day after the story ends.
We could discuss how Daisy felt, how the dog that popped the ball may have felt. Ask if they have ever felt that way. Additionally, we could discuss what they did to make a friend feel better in a similar situation, or what would they do to help their friend feel better. ( )
  Lena_Krenzke | Jan 26, 2015 |
For Artemis

Daisy has a red ball that she loves.  One day while playing in the park with a friend, the red ball accidentally popped.  Daisy is very sad.  On her next visit to the park, Daisy is greeted by her friend who has a replacement ball, and this one is blue.  Once again, Daisy is happy.  A wonderful wordless picture book that high lights the simple pleasure of playing with a red ball and how the disappointment of loss is part of everyday life.  Students can be encouraged by Daisy’s friend, who apologized for popping the red ball by replacing it with a blue one.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037585861X, Hardcover)

Winner of the 2012 Randolph Caldecott Medal

This New York Times Bestseller and New York Times Best Illustrated Book relates a story about love and loss as only Chris Rashcka can tell it. Any child who has ever had a beloved toy break will relate to Daisy's anguish when her favorite ball is destroyed by a bigger dog. In the tradition of his nearly wordless picture book Yo! Yes?, Caldecott Medalist Chris Raschka explores in pictures the joy and sadness that having a special toy can bring. Raschka's signature swirling, impressionistic illustrations and his affectionate story will particularly appeal to young dog lovers and teachers and parents who have children dealing with the loss of something special.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:36 -0400)

A wordless picture book showing the fun a dog has with her ball, and what happens when it is lost.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,674,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible