A Ball for Daisy by Chris Raschka

A Ball for Daisy

by Chris Raschka

Winner! Without words, Raschka communicates the the joy of playing with a favorite toy, the sadness of losing that toy, and the renewal that comes from friendship.

Daisy, a playful puppy who is drawn in the same style as the Coltrane Cat, loves her little red bouncy ball. She loses the ball when it bounces over a fence and a group of dogs rough-houses the ball until it pops. The loss deflates Daisy and she dejectedly walks home with her owner. Daisy's spirits are lifted when she encounters a new friend who shares a blue ball. The final picture shows Daisy sleeping with her new ball.

My faith in dogmanity is restored by reading this book. I think students can easily sympathize with the loss of a favorite toy. The question I would like to ask young readers is this: what if Daisy hadn't been able to accept the blue ball? I think black and white thinkers often have the most trouble accepting change. If Daisy had been closed to the new good in front of her, she would have missed out on a chance to make a friend, and receive comfort. Rashcka honed in on a human trait that is so necessary if we are to recover from life's knocks, the ability to accept new good, and not demand that it mimic what was lost. ( )
  Desirichter | Jul 29, 2014 |
I loved this sweet story and enjoyed Daisy's character. I think young readers would identify with the dog's struggle to share and the loss she experiences when she loses her ball. Books like this remind me that teaching young people about loss is difficult and uncomfortable. Fortunately, some things can be replaced, and eventually, happiness returns. ( )
  jcarroll12 | Jul 27, 2014 |
Daisy loves her bright red ball! She goes everywhere and does everything with her scarlet companion. Then one day, her ball is popped, and Daisy is deeply saddened. How will she recover from the loss of her friend?

Chris Raschka delivers a wonderful story about love and loss through pictures in this wordless tale. His portrayal of the grieving process is captured as Daisy mourns the loss of her pal. ( )
  lbblackwell | Jul 5, 2014 |
A Ball for Daisy is a story about a dog who loves her red ball and always has it with her, even to sleep, and one day her owner takes her to play with another dog. While out with this other dog he starts playing with her ball and she doesn't like it too much because that's her ball. While the dog was playing with Daisy's ball he accidentally pops it and Daisy is devastated. Afterward, her owner comforts her and when they are out one day they see the dog with a blue ball and he then gives Daisy that ball.

I absolutely loved this book, it was my first time reading it after seeing a classmate talk about it. The main character is Daisy, the setting is mainly outside. This book had a few different tones happy, sad, happy again. This book had great, bright illustrations using watercolor and ink. I was shocked at how strong of a book this was even though it was a wordless picture book (few words.) The lesson being taught in this book is to teach children to share and if you do break something that was somebody else's you should replace it for them since you are the one that broke it. Adults could relate to this book because we know what it is like to lose something that we love.

Two classroom extension ideas are: to read the story to kids then possibly have them write how it made them feel (or draw how it made them feel.) Also, have some kids color blue balls and some color red balls and have them share them with each other.
  bm091113 | Jul 2, 2014 |
i really liked this book. It's about a dog that loses its ball. It seems simple and easy, but the underlying meaning of loss in the book is really touching. A child will appreciate the story being about a cute puppy. An older reader can appreciate the story about loss and coping with pain. I will add this to my classroom collection. ( )
  Kbernard | Jun 29, 2014 |
For Artemis

Daisy has a red ball that she loves.  One day while playing in the park with a friend, the red ball accidentally popped.  Daisy is very sad.  On her next visit to the park, Daisy is greeted by her friend who has a replacement ball, and this one is blue.  Once again, Daisy is happy.  A wonderful wordless picture book that high lights the simple pleasure of playing with a red ball and how the disappointment of loss is part of everyday life.  Students can be encouraged by Daisy’s friend, who apologized for popping the red ball by replacing it with a blue one.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037585861X, Hardcover)

Winner of the 2012 Randolph Caldecott Medal

This New York Times Bestseller and New York Times Best Illustrated Book relates a story about love and loss as only Chris Rashcka can tell it. Any child who has ever had a beloved toy break will relate to Daisy's anguish when her favorite ball is destroyed by a bigger dog. In the tradition of his nearly wordless picture book Yo! Yes?, Caldecott Medalist Chris Raschka explores in pictures the joy and sadness that having a special toy can bring. Raschka's signature swirling, impressionistic illustrations and his affectionate story will particularly appeal to young dog lovers and teachers and parents who have children dealing with the loss of something special.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:36 -0400)

A wordless picture book showing the fun a dog has with her ball, and what happens when it is lost.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,620,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible