A Ball for Daisy by Chris Raschka

A Ball for Daisy (edition 2011)

by Chris Raschka, Chris Raschka (Illustrator)

81920211,095 (3.99)17
Member:ccbell
Title:A Ball for Daisy
Authors:Chris Raschka
Other authors:Chris Raschka (Illustrator)
Info:Schwartz & Wade (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Easy K-3rd grade, Raschka, dogs

A Ball for Daisy by Chris Raschka

'A Ball for Daisy' is a great book to share. Despite the fact that it does not have words, the story is moving. The pictures alone tell a vivid story. I recommend this book for children of all ages.
  Katie_Manna | Sep 25, 2016 |
This is a wonderful wordless picture book. The illustrations that are in the book show such great detail, which allows the reader to understand what is happening throughout all parts of the book. The story line is very sweet as well, which makes the book even more fun to read! There are also endless interpretations of the book, which would help students to feel comfortable about reading the book without having the stress of understanding the words. ( )
  AshleyJarrard | Sep 19, 2016 |
This Caldecott winner is short on words and big on story-telling. Its beautiful illustrations tell the tale of the dog, Daisy, and her beloved red ball. Daisy and her ball go on many adventures, especially to a park. Alas, the red ball meets a tragic fate and Daisy is appropriately devastated. In a happy twist, Daisy is united with a new ball and finds happiness again.

Personal reaction:
When I first opened this book, I was a bit apprehensive. What children’s book has no words in it, much less an award-winning book? When I began to explore the pages with my daughter, I realized Chris Raschka may very well be one of the best story-tellers there is. With each page, you saw the love, devastation, and happiness on Daisy’s face. Raschka did so well, even my two year old was able to point to Daisy and say, “sad dog. It okay.”

Classroom extension:
1. During the story, we will stop at the pages where Daisy shows strong emotions. We will talk about why she is feeling the way she is. Then, the students will sit down and journal a time where they were happy and sad.
2. Students will be broken up into groups of four. Cards will be handed out with the words happy, sad, scared, and mad on them. Each student will be passed a card and instructed to keep their word a secret. One by one, the students will enact the emotion on the card as the other’s guess the emotion. When it is correctly guessed, each student will share with the group an example of when they felt that particular emotion.
  CaitlinHendy | Sep 19, 2016 |
I had to go through this book twice before really getting the full detail of the story. Chris Raschka has an interesting way to use the space on the pages to create different scenes and I was not prepared for it. I read this book with my two year old and she loved the story as we looked at the pictures and talked about what was happening with Daisy and her ball. My daughter wanted to go back and start over to see the book again! You can really see the emotion in Daisy through the ink, watercolor and gouache illustrations. ( )
  Chafkins | Sep 19, 2016 |
This book won the Caldecott Medal. A Ball for Daisy is a book with wonderful illustrations that tell the story. This book needs these detailed and eye-catching illustrations because it has no words. Student will love looking through this book and discovering the story through the images.
  Jaymand | Sep 17, 2016 |
For Artemis

Daisy has a red ball that she loves.  One day while playing in the park with a friend, the red ball accidentally popped.  Daisy is very sad.  On her next visit to the park, Daisy is greeted by her friend who has a replacement ball, and this one is blue.  Once again, Daisy is happy.  A wonderful wordless picture book that high lights the simple pleasure of playing with a red ball and how the disappointment of loss is part of everyday life.  Students can be encouraged by Daisy’s friend, who apologized for popping the red ball by replacing it with a blue one.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037585861X, Hardcover)

Winner of the 2012 Randolph Caldecott Medal

This New York Times Bestseller and New York Times Best Illustrated Book relates a story about love and loss as only Chris Rashcka can tell it. Any child who has ever had a beloved toy break will relate to Daisy's anguish when her favorite ball is destroyed by a bigger dog. In the tradition of his nearly wordless picture book Yo! Yes?, Caldecott Medalist Chris Raschka explores in pictures the joy and sadness that having a special toy can bring. Raschka's signature swirling, impressionistic illustrations and his affectionate story will particularly appeal to young dog lovers and teachers and parents who have children dealing with the loss of something special.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:32 -0400)

A wordless picture book showing the fun a dog has with her ball, and what happens when it is lost.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,236,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible