A Ball for Daisy by Chris Raschka

A Ball for Daisy (edition 2011)

by Chris Raschka, Chris Raschka (Illustrator)

Member:ccbell
Title:A Ball for Daisy
Authors:Chris Raschka
Other authors:Chris Raschka (Illustrator)
Info:Schwartz & Wade (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Easy K-3rd grade, Raschka, dogs

A Ball for Daisy by Chris Raschka

Personal Reaction - - Although this book is about a dog obsessed with a ball and it ended up getting popped it reminds me of my son who has a favorite blanket. His brother would take it from him out of spite just to make him mad. One day his blanket came up missing for about a month and he was so sad and depressed. We ended up finding it in a play backpack.

Summary - When the dog took Daisy's ball and popped it Daisy was depressed. I felt sorry for her when reading this story even though she is a dog because I knew how she felt. When the dog that took the ball gave her a new blue shiny ball she was happy again. Everything happens for a reason I think.

Classroom Extension Ideas -
1. Play ball with the kids.
2. Show kids a picture of a dog. ( )
  JennaJ | Sep 30, 2014 |
This picture books shows the cute relationship between a dog and a ball! We all have something that we love and cherish. Cute book with great pictures.
  SRThompson | Sep 8, 2014 |
Summary:
In this picturebook, Daisy gets a new ball. She adores her new red ball and takes it to the park. On her way, another pet pops her ball. Daisy is so upset at the loss of her ball. The other dog who popped her ball gave her a new one.

Personal Reaction: It was a sweet book (without words) and is a great lesson to children. If you do something to hurt someone, you should try to fix it.

Extension Ideas:
1.) One idea is to have a feelings lesson on hurting someones feelings. I would have a circle time on ways to make someone feel better if they got their feelings hurt by someone.
2.) We would come of with a poster list of ways to treat others and how not to treat others. ( )
  stephanierouse | Sep 7, 2014 |
Super cute story. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Winner! Without words, Raschka communicates the the joy of playing with a favorite toy, the sadness of losing that toy, and the renewal that comes from friendship.

Daisy, a playful puppy who is drawn in the same style as the Coltrane Cat, loves her little red bouncy ball. She loses the ball when it bounces over a fence and a group of dogs rough-houses the ball until it pops. The loss deflates Daisy and she dejectedly walks home with her owner. Daisy's spirits are lifted when she encounters a new friend who shares a blue ball. The final picture shows Daisy sleeping with her new ball.

My faith in dogmanity is restored by reading this book. I think students can easily sympathize with the loss of a favorite toy. The question I would like to ask young readers is this: what if Daisy hadn't been able to accept the blue ball? I think black and white thinkers often have the most trouble accepting change. If Daisy had been closed to the new good in front of her, she would have missed out on a chance to make a friend, and receive comfort. Rashcka honed in on a human trait that is so necessary if we are to recover from life's knocks, the ability to accept new good, and not demand that it mimic what was lost. ( )
  Desirichter | Jul 29, 2014 |
For Artemis

Daisy has a red ball that she loves.  One day while playing in the park with a friend, the red ball accidentally popped.  Daisy is very sad.  On her next visit to the park, Daisy is greeted by her friend who has a replacement ball, and this one is blue.  Once again, Daisy is happy.  A wonderful wordless picture book that high lights the simple pleasure of playing with a red ball and how the disappointment of loss is part of everyday life.  Students can be encouraged by Daisy’s friend, who apologized for popping the red ball by replacing it with a blue one.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037585861X, Hardcover)

Winner of the 2012 Randolph Caldecott Medal

This New York Times Bestseller and New York Times Best Illustrated Book relates a story about love and loss as only Chris Rashcka can tell it. Any child who has ever had a beloved toy break will relate to Daisy's anguish when her favorite ball is destroyed by a bigger dog. In the tradition of his nearly wordless picture book Yo! Yes?, Caldecott Medalist Chris Raschka explores in pictures the joy and sadness that having a special toy can bring. Raschka's signature swirling, impressionistic illustrations and his affectionate story will particularly appeal to young dog lovers and teachers and parents who have children dealing with the loss of something special.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:36 -0400)

A wordless picture book showing the fun a dog has with her ball, and what happens when it is lost.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,988,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible