A Ball for Daisy by Chris Raschka

A Ball for Daisy (edition 2011)

by Chris Raschka, Chris Raschka (Illustrator)

Member:Tryante
Title:A Ball for Daisy
Authors:Chris Raschka
Other authors:Chris Raschka (Illustrator)
Info:Schwartz & Wade (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Picture Book, Chris Raschka, water colors, no words

A Ball for Daisy by Chris Raschka

Summary
The book is a dog name Daisy who really loves her red ball. She took it everywhere with her never leaving its side. One day another wanted to play with it then popped it by accident. Daisy was very sad. They soon run into the same dog, and the other dog gives her his blue ball.

Reaction
When I read this book, I felt genuine sympathy for Daisy when the ball popped. I remember when I was a child, I let my classmate play with my trading cards. The wind accidentally blew them away. I was very sad at this tragedy until he came back the next day with new pack of trading cards for me.

Extension Idea
The two dogs could become best friends and start playing with each other or maybe start some kind of new relationship. Then they could go get a purple ball to symbolize their togetherness because red and blue makes purple. ( )
  chywatt | Jul 12, 2016 |
Summary Daisy is so infatuated with a ball that she takes it everywhere with her, sleeps with it and has to be near it constantly. One day Daisy goes out for a walk and her ball gets snatched by a brown dog wanting to play. Daisy tried her hardest to get the ball back but the other dog insisted on playing with it and pops it. Daisy's owner then throws the ball in the trash and takes Daisy home. Daisy acts distraught over her loss. Daisy's owner takes her for another walk and on the walk they see the same dog that popped Daisy's ball but this time that dog has a new blue ball. The other dog gives the blue ball to Daisy, which makes her very happy.

Reflection: this was such a cute story! She loses something, and the other dog gives up the new blue ball for daisy since hers was popped!

Extension: I could probably uses this in class. I could ask the students to bring something they all adore and take away half of the classes things. I could see the reaction of the other students who still had theirs and find out what they would do. After returning everything I would read them the book and ask their thoughts on what they had learned ( )
  William.Rowell | Jul 10, 2016 |
A Ball for Daisy is a book that does not contain any words just pictures. My interpretaion was that it was about Daisy that loved his red ball. Daisy did everything with his ball including going to the park sharing it with others. One particular day he shared his ball and his play partner ended popping his ball that he loved. Daisy ended up getting sad and didn't want to play anymore. As a result of his ball getting popped, Daisy was able to get another ball which was red and he loved it just as much.The book was very colorful; therefore caused the reader to be fascinated with the book.

This book could be a lesson to teach students to use their imagination. Not only to use their imagination but also how to share. An activity I could use is to instruct students to bring their favorite thing to class and switch with their classmates. By doing this activity it would teach them how to share their things with others. ( )
  kekemsu17 | Apr 11, 2016 |
I like this book for many reasons. First, the illustrations fit the mood of the story. For example, when Daisy’s ball broke, Daisy was shown frowning with her eyes heavy. Also, the colors of the book where more gray on that page, representing her being upset. Although this is a wordless picture book, the illustrations portrayed the mood at that point, which was sadness. Second, the characters were believable. Although the main characters were dogs, their actions were all something we could relate to. For example, when the brown dog took Daisy’s ball without permission and felt guilty. As students, we could related to a moment where we both took something without permission and felt bad, or when something was taken from us and felt sad. Third, I liked the organization of the plot. It started with showing how Daisy was in love with her ball and even slept with it, to her taking it to the park and getting it taken away from her (problem), and then to her getting a new ball (solution). I believe that the story structure is clearly evident through the illustrations. I think that the message of this story is to not take other people’s belongings without their permission because you never know how it could impact them. ( )
  pparka1 | Mar 3, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book for several reasons. First, I loved the illustrations in this book. This literature is a wordless children's book, so illustrations have to be clear for students to comprehend the story. "A Ball for Daisy," clearly illustrated the emotions Daisy the dog is feeling throughout the story. The illustrations are very colorful, and have different types backgrounds. The array of settings in the book give a feel of constant movement throughout the story and not standing in one place. Additionally, the illustrations are 2 paged so it gives a whole picture of the story and keeps the eyes moving from left to right. Secondly, I liked that the story had a clear plot that was easy to understand. The story is about Daisy and her ball, and she goes to the park and another dog snatches her ball. Daisy's ball inflates, causing Daisy to become very sad. However, the owner of the other dog brought another ball to the park and Daisy was happy to play with a ball again. The story has a problem and solution theme that is evident throughout the pages. Lastly, I liked that the story pushes the reader to think about how they might feel if an object of their's got broken. In the story Daisy was very sad that her ball was broken and she couldn't stop thinking about it. This problem helps the reader think about their own experiences that could be similar to Daisy's. In conclusion, this story teaches children that accidents happen, and things can be replaced. ( )
  ahenri7 | Feb 17, 2016 |
For Artemis

Daisy has a red ball that she loves.  One day while playing in the park with a friend, the red ball accidentally popped.  Daisy is very sad.  On her next visit to the park, Daisy is greeted by her friend who has a replacement ball, and this one is blue.  Once again, Daisy is happy.  A wonderful wordless picture book that high lights the simple pleasure of playing with a red ball and how the disappointment of loss is part of everyday life.  Students can be encouraged by Daisy’s friend, who apologized for popping the red ball by replacing it with a blue one.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037585861X, Hardcover)

Winner of the 2012 Randolph Caldecott Medal

This New York Times Bestseller and New York Times Best Illustrated Book relates a story about love and loss as only Chris Rashcka can tell it. Any child who has ever had a beloved toy break will relate to Daisy's anguish when her favorite ball is destroyed by a bigger dog. In the tradition of his nearly wordless picture book Yo! Yes?, Caldecott Medalist Chris Raschka explores in pictures the joy and sadness that having a special toy can bring. Raschka's signature swirling, impressionistic illustrations and his affectionate story will particularly appeal to young dog lovers and teachers and parents who have children dealing with the loss of something special.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:32 -0400)

A wordless picture book showing the fun a dog has with her ball, and what happens when it is lost.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,506,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible