A Ball for Daisy by Chris Raschka

A Ball for Daisy (edition 2011)

by Chris Raschka, Chris Raschka (Illustrator)

Member:Tryante
Title:A Ball for Daisy
Authors:Chris Raschka
Other authors:Chris Raschka (Illustrator)
Info:Schwartz & Wade (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Picture Book, Chris Raschka, water colors, no words

A Ball for Daisy by Chris Raschka

A dog, named Daisy, gets a red ball and she always has the ball with her where ever she goes. She goes to the park, and another dog plays with Daisy's ball and busts it. Daisy is upset and misses her ball. Her owner decides to take Daisy back to the park. The other dog has a blue ball with him that he gives to Daisy. This makes Daisy very happy. This story is beautiful with gorgeous pictures that really captures a young child's attention. ( )
  Paigealyssa | Jan 28, 2016 |
This book is a story about a dog and her ball, but the best part about it is that there are no words on the pages, strictly pictures. The way the book is set up is a little bit like a comic strip, where there are multiple events going on on the page. I think this would be a great book throughout all grade levels because it gives the students the chance to make their own stories. I like the idea of a book like this in the classroom because it will get the children's imaginations going and the outcome of the different stories could become very interesting. ( )
  cbuquet5 | Jan 27, 2016 |
I don't usually enjoy wordless picture books but I found this one to be very cute. A Ball for Daisy is about a dog named Daisy who loves her ball. One day, while playing with another dog, the ball gets deflated and Daisy is very sad. Eventually she goes back to the park to find that the other dog has a blue ball for Daisy as an apology for deflating her first one. It's a cute story about loss and friendship and it's fun to try to imagine what is going on and predict what will happen.

I recognized the art style from the previous book I had read (The Hello, Goodbye Window) and, after some research discovered that this is Chris Raschka's second Caldecott Medal and I can see why. His style is both unconventional and attractive and I found it to be very fitting for this story. ( )
  NRedler | Jan 27, 2016 |
My son and I have read this book several times, each time the story is a tad different. I see him going back to this book and telling the story again and again probably due to the fact our old dog was named Daisy, and my son's favorite object is a ball. While I thought that wordless picture books were cute, but not really REAL books, I've changed my mind. I see my son, who is a very reluctant reader, reading this book over and over and over. Curricular connections: cause and effect, predicting, and practicing inference. ( )
  amyruotsala | Jan 24, 2016 |
This is a simple, sweet story told only in pictures. There is just enough in the large pictures to send along a loving message of good fun, disappointment and how friendship triumphs.
Curricular Connections:
*Compare/Contrast with The Red Balloon
*Discuss other wordless picture books
*Students create their own wordless books
  JulieBFEL | Jan 23, 2016 |
For Artemis

Daisy has a red ball that she loves.  One day while playing in the park with a friend, the red ball accidentally popped.  Daisy is very sad.  On her next visit to the park, Daisy is greeted by her friend who has a replacement ball, and this one is blue.  Once again, Daisy is happy.  A wonderful wordless picture book that high lights the simple pleasure of playing with a red ball and how the disappointment of loss is part of everyday life.  Students can be encouraged by Daisy’s friend, who apologized for popping the red ball by replacing it with a blue one.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037585861X, Hardcover)

Winner of the 2012 Randolph Caldecott Medal

This New York Times Bestseller and New York Times Best Illustrated Book relates a story about love and loss as only Chris Rashcka can tell it. Any child who has ever had a beloved toy break will relate to Daisy's anguish when her favorite ball is destroyed by a bigger dog. In the tradition of his nearly wordless picture book Yo! Yes?, Caldecott Medalist Chris Raschka explores in pictures the joy and sadness that having a special toy can bring. Raschka's signature swirling, impressionistic illustrations and his affectionate story will particularly appeal to young dog lovers and teachers and parents who have children dealing with the loss of something special.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:32 -0400)

A wordless picture book showing the fun a dog has with her ball, and what happens when it is lost.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,019,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible