A Ball for Daisy by Chris Raschka

A Ball for Daisy (edition 2011)

by Chris Raschka, Chris Raschka (Illustrator)

Member:Tryante
Title:A Ball for Daisy
Authors:Chris Raschka
Other authors:Chris Raschka (Illustrator)
Info:Schwartz & Wade (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Picture Book, Chris Raschka, water colors, no words

A Ball for Daisy by Chris Raschka

A Ball for Daisy is a book that does not contain any words just pictures. My interpretaion was that it was about Daisy that loved his red ball. Daisy did everything with his ball including going to the park sharing it with others. One particular day he shared his ball and his play partner ended popping his ball that he loved. Daisy ended up getting sad and didn't want to play anymore. As a result of his ball getting popped, Daisy was able to get another ball which was red and he loved it just as much.The book was very colorful; therefore caused the reader to be fascinated with the book.

This book could be a lesson to teach students to use their imagination. Not only to use their imagination but also how to share. An activity I could use is to instruct students to bring their favorite thing to class and switch with their classmates. By doing this activity it would teach them how to share their things with others. ( )
  kekemsu17 | Apr 11, 2016 |
I like this book for many reasons. First, the illustrations fit the mood of the story. For example, when Daisy’s ball broke, Daisy was shown frowning with her eyes heavy. Also, the colors of the book where more gray on that page, representing her being upset. Although this is a wordless picture book, the illustrations portrayed the mood at that point, which was sadness. Second, the characters were believable. Although the main characters were dogs, their actions were all something we could relate to. For example, when the brown dog took Daisy’s ball without permission and felt guilty. As students, we could related to a moment where we both took something without permission and felt bad, or when something was taken from us and felt sad. Third, I liked the organization of the plot. It started with showing how Daisy was in love with her ball and even slept with it, to her taking it to the park and getting it taken away from her (problem), and then to her getting a new ball (solution). I believe that the story structure is clearly evident through the illustrations. I think that the message of this story is to not take other people’s belongings without their permission because you never know how it could impact them. ( )
  pparka1 | Mar 3, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book for several reasons. First, I loved the illustrations in this book. This literature is a wordless children's book, so illustrations have to be clear for students to comprehend the story. "A Ball for Daisy," clearly illustrated the emotions Daisy the dog is feeling throughout the story. The illustrations are very colorful, and have different types backgrounds. The array of settings in the book give a feel of constant movement throughout the story and not standing in one place. Additionally, the illustrations are 2 paged so it gives a whole picture of the story and keeps the eyes moving from left to right. Secondly, I liked that the story had a clear plot that was easy to understand. The story is about Daisy and her ball, and she goes to the park and another dog snatches her ball. Daisy's ball inflates, causing Daisy to become very sad. However, the owner of the other dog brought another ball to the park and Daisy was happy to play with a ball again. The story has a problem and solution theme that is evident throughout the pages. Lastly, I liked that the story pushes the reader to think about how they might feel if an object of their's got broken. In the story Daisy was very sad that her ball was broken and she couldn't stop thinking about it. This problem helps the reader think about their own experiences that could be similar to Daisy's. In conclusion, this story teaches children that accidents happen, and things can be replaced. ( )
  ahenri7 | Feb 17, 2016 |
Summary
This book is about a little while dog named Daisy and her favorite ball. Daisy loves her ball so much that she sleeps with it, takes it everywhere, and wants to be near it all the time. One day while out for a walk Daisy's ball is taken by and older bigger dog. This other dog just wants to play but as hard as Daisy tries to get it back the other dog accidentally pops the ball. Daisy's owner throws it in the trash and takes her home. Daisy is so upset that she has lost her favorite ball. Later her owner takes Daisy for another walk and she runs into the same dog that popped her ball. Only this time the other dog has a nice new ball for Daisy.

Personal Reaction
This is a good book for children. It shows how things happen by accident and that even though you might be upset it is easier to forgive people.

Classroom Extension Ideas
1. I would have the students write in their journals about a time a friend might have broken something of their and how that made them feel.
2. We would have a lesson over forgiveness and accidents.
3. I would have the students tell me what forgiveness means to them.
  AshleyTaylor1 | Feb 9, 2016 |
Overall plot of this word less story is that a dog named Daisy gets a red ball, and she takes this red ball to the park, where another dog goes and pops her red ball. Daisy becomes sad, though soon Daisy’s owner goes back to the park in a couple days where the dog that popped the red ball is there, but instead gives Daisy his blue ball to play with, Daisy is happy again. In my opinion for this word less books in particular the reader is able to come with their own personal story as the book progresses. As for the illustrations the colorfulness of the book makes it very simple for the reader to understand what is happening, and to see what is happening as well. ( )
  MrChowder20 | Feb 9, 2016 |
For Artemis

Daisy has a red ball that she loves.  One day while playing in the park with a friend, the red ball accidentally popped.  Daisy is very sad.  On her next visit to the park, Daisy is greeted by her friend who has a replacement ball, and this one is blue.  Once again, Daisy is happy.  A wonderful wordless picture book that high lights the simple pleasure of playing with a red ball and how the disappointment of loss is part of everyday life.  Students can be encouraged by Daisy’s friend, who apologized for popping the red ball by replacing it with a blue one.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037585861X, Hardcover)

Winner of the 2012 Randolph Caldecott Medal

This New York Times Bestseller and New York Times Best Illustrated Book relates a story about love and loss as only Chris Rashcka can tell it. Any child who has ever had a beloved toy break will relate to Daisy's anguish when her favorite ball is destroyed by a bigger dog. In the tradition of his nearly wordless picture book Yo! Yes?, Caldecott Medalist Chris Raschka explores in pictures the joy and sadness that having a special toy can bring. Raschka's signature swirling, impressionistic illustrations and his affectionate story will particularly appeal to young dog lovers and teachers and parents who have children dealing with the loss of something special.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:32 -0400)

A wordless picture book showing the fun a dog has with her ball, and what happens when it is lost.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible