A Ball for Daisy by Chris Raschka

A Ball for Daisy (edition 2011)

by Chris Raschka, Chris Raschka (Illustrator)

Member:Tryante
Title:A Ball for Daisy
Authors:Chris Raschka
Other authors:Chris Raschka (Illustrator)
Info:Schwartz & Wade (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Picture Book, Chris Raschka, water colors, no words

A Ball for Daisy by Chris Raschka

This book takes the reader on a journey with Daisy the dog and her favorite ball. The pictures show the love the dog has for her red ball. She takes it on a walk to the dog park where she plays with it. During playtime, another dog joins in and pops the favored ball. Daisy is heartbroken when this happens and returns home very sad. The next trip to dog park ends in a surprise when the other dog brings Daisy a new ball to play with. The book only includes pictures with no words to tell the story. Themes in this story are joy and sadness and friends taking care of each other. I like that the pictures give a clear view of how Daisy feels and what is going on in each scene. It was clear to see that Daisy loves her ball on page 2 and 3. It was also clear that Daisy was heartbroken once it had popped on page 14 and 15. The author does a good job in showing that friends always care for each other by having the other dog, who popped the ball, bring Daisy a new ball to play with. This makes it easier to understand what is exactly going on in the story. During the initial read, I would stop on each page and ask the students to give a quick overview of what was happening. We would write down their ideas on the board for all to see. After the first read, we would then write a story to go along with the pictures in the book. I think it would be a good way for the students to practice writing a story based off of pictures that are already given. ( )
  LaurenBrow | Aug 27, 2016 |
Daisy loves her ball and takes it everywhere she goes. She went on a walk one day and lost it behind a fence. Her owner got it for her then threw it to another dog so they could both play with it. The other dog ran off with it and popped it. Daisy just laid by the ball upset until her owner threw it away. They went on another walk and the other dogs owner had a new blue ball. Daisy and the other dog played with it then Daisy got to take it home. This book is about sharing and caring. When the other dog popped Daisy's ball, his owner went out and bought a new one for them to play with. ( )
  knbenson6584 | Aug 25, 2016 |
picture book about what daisy the dog does on her trip to the park with her ball.
3 books
  TUCC | Jul 26, 2016 |
Summary
The book is a dog name Daisy who really loves her red ball. She took it everywhere with her never leaving its side. One day another wanted to play with it then popped it by accident. Daisy was very sad. They soon run into the same dog, and the other dog gives her his blue ball.

Reaction
When I read this book, I felt genuine sympathy for Daisy when the ball popped. I remember when I was a child, I let my classmate play with my trading cards. The wind accidentally blew them away. I was very sad at this tragedy until he came back the next day with new pack of trading cards for me.

Extension Idea
The two dogs could become best friends and start playing with each other or maybe start some kind of new relationship. Then they could go get a purple ball to symbolize their togetherness because red and blue makes purple. ( )
  chywatt | Jul 12, 2016 |
Summary Daisy is so infatuated with a ball that she takes it everywhere with her, sleeps with it and has to be near it constantly. One day Daisy goes out for a walk and her ball gets snatched by a brown dog wanting to play. Daisy tried her hardest to get the ball back but the other dog insisted on playing with it and pops it. Daisy's owner then throws the ball in the trash and takes Daisy home. Daisy acts distraught over her loss. Daisy's owner takes her for another walk and on the walk they see the same dog that popped Daisy's ball but this time that dog has a new blue ball. The other dog gives the blue ball to Daisy, which makes her very happy.

Reflection: this was such a cute story! She loses something, and the other dog gives up the new blue ball for daisy since hers was popped!

Extension: I could probably uses this in class. I could ask the students to bring something they all adore and take away half of the classes things. I could see the reaction of the other students who still had theirs and find out what they would do. After returning everything I would read them the book and ask their thoughts on what they had learned ( )
  William.Rowell | Jul 10, 2016 |
For Artemis

Daisy has a red ball that she loves.  One day while playing in the park with a friend, the red ball accidentally popped.  Daisy is very sad.  On her next visit to the park, Daisy is greeted by her friend who has a replacement ball, and this one is blue.  Once again, Daisy is happy.  A wonderful wordless picture book that high lights the simple pleasure of playing with a red ball and how the disappointment of loss is part of everyday life.  Students can be encouraged by Daisy’s friend, who apologized for popping the red ball by replacing it with a blue one.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037585861X, Hardcover)

Winner of the 2012 Randolph Caldecott Medal

This New York Times Bestseller and New York Times Best Illustrated Book relates a story about love and loss as only Chris Rashcka can tell it. Any child who has ever had a beloved toy break will relate to Daisy's anguish when her favorite ball is destroyed by a bigger dog. In the tradition of his nearly wordless picture book Yo! Yes?, Caldecott Medalist Chris Raschka explores in pictures the joy and sadness that having a special toy can bring. Raschka's signature swirling, impressionistic illustrations and his affectionate story will particularly appeal to young dog lovers and teachers and parents who have children dealing with the loss of something special.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:32 -0400)

A wordless picture book showing the fun a dog has with her ball, and what happens when it is lost.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,411,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible