The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

The Girl of Fire and Thorns

by Rae Carson

Series: Fire and Thorns (1)

Recently added bybrimfield, Sept, rena75, rivkat

Ok, generic name. A princess is sent to marry the king one kingdom over to cement an alliance against invaders. He’s older and handsome, and she’s self-hating, fat and sixteen, and also the bearer of a Godstone, which gives her some kind of connection to divinity. Palace intrigue, kidnapping, and associated weight loss ensue, followed by her becoming the leader of a guerrilla band dedicated to fighting the invaders. It’s a decent coming-of-age story, but avoid if “she stops her disordered eating and loses weight due to privation and then keeps from regaining all the way to her previous weight due to self-confidence” will be a problem. ( )
  rivkat | May 13, 2019 |
I can't identify why I didn't like this book. The writing is good, there is action and the plot moves along well. For some reason I just couldn't bring myself to care what happened to these characters. It always fascinates me that sometimes even a "great" book can miss the mark in my eyes by some indefinable "something". This is one of those books. ( )
  ErinMa | Apr 3, 2019 |
Carson's writing style and general theme is extremely engaging, despite the fact that the plot occasionally bogs down and that there's a fat girl who becomes more slender before valuing herself (hence 4 not 5 stars). The overall 'vibe' of the book is reflective of Sharon Shinn's 'Samaria' series, a total win, in my opinion. The protagonist, Elisa, is a splendid character and Carson develops this persona exceedingly well (although I did hesitate over the metamorphosis of overeating). I have yet to understand why the delightful Humberto has to die, unless there's a strong reason in the sequel. Cosmé is an excellent foil for Elisa ~ I hope she reappears in the sequel. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Dec 31, 2018 |
I will say I got caught up in the story. I found it compelling and wanted to know what would happen next. I also liked seeing Elisa grow into herself and become courageous and strong.

But I wasn't really into the praying/religious stuff, the fat-shaming (because it's easy to lose weight; all you have to do is walk across a desert), and - while I agree the people she ended up with were worthy of empowerment and independence - it was a little too Stockholm syndrome for me.

I think this would be a good book for teens (although I don't think the messages about food and weight are good for teens), but it was a bit young for me. ( )
  chavala | Dec 29, 2018 |
3 .5 longer review to come soon ( )
  rabidgummibear | Nov 28, 2018 |

Rae Carsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ikeda, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Hannah Elise
Prayer candles flicker in my bedroom.

A fearful sixteen-year-old princess discovers her heroic destiny after being married off to the king of a neighboring country in turmoil and pursued by enemies seething with dark magic.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,884,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible