The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

The Girl of Fire and Thorns

by Rae Carson

Series: Fire and Thorns (1)

I loved this story, Elisa has come into her own. I wasn't sure where the author was going with this character in the first hundred or so pages. But in the end, I think she nailed it. I'm very excited to start reading book two; I only hope it doesn't let up. If you like Game of Thrones, I think you will love this story. 4.5 Stars if I had a choice. ( )
  stevealtier | Mar 16, 2017 |
I loved this book! Def a must read :) ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
I love that the main character isn't beautiful or talented or all that interesting to begin with. She's like most of us, she achieves greatness despite being average. ( )
  benandhil | Sep 28, 2016 |
4.5 Stars!

How do we really know what to believe? This summarizes The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson well. This is my second time through the book and I enjoyed it more this time than last.

I have to say I don’t usually like reads that focus on a religious belief system, but I’m glad I stayed the course because this is a well written series.

In the first book of the trilogy, The Girl of Fire and Thorns, we meet Elisa, second in line to the throne, and in her mind, second in everything–she’s overweight, politically inept and expendable, therefore she’s married off to a foreign magistrate to strengthen the bonds of peace with that land.

What Elisa doesn’t fully appreciate, however, is the godstone that appeared in her navel as an infant on her naming day...Read my full review on my blog at http://blog.lrwlee.com/2016/02/08/review-of-girl-of-fire-and-thorns/

L.R.W.Lee | Jul 26, 2016 |
[b:The Girl of Fire and Thorns|10429092|The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1)|Rae Carson|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1323448113s/10429092.jpg|13282366] was, unfortunately, disappointing. I kept reading it in hope to find out what raised such a wave of adoration, but, well, unsuccessfully. The book does have some pleasing moments, though:
- Hispanic elements - language, culture, places.
- A commonly flawed, far from perfect main character.
- Pace of the narration.
- Well-conceived, easy to imagine world.
As to the nays:
- Fat-hating, fat-shaming, fat-talking - that's all you get about the main character, Elisa, for the most part of the book.
- All the cracks and holes of the story are filled with religion. Unnecessarily so.
- Elisa is special, because she has a stone in her naval and everything about it made me nauseous.
- The way the author discards characters you thought to be essential to the plot (and the way the main character fails to react to any of it). Some reviewers say this is what makes [b:The Girl of Fire and Thorns|10429092|The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1)|Rae Carson|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1323448113s/10429092.jpg|13282366] more realistic and appealing. Well, it just made me feel...fooled?
The book, indeed, differs from other yaf series, which is an achievement in itself. But it just wasn't my cup of tea. ( )
  vira_t | Mar 29, 2016 |

Rae Carsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ikeda, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Hannah Elise
Prayer candles flicker in my bedroom.

A fearful sixteen-year-old princess discovers her heroic destiny after being married off to the king of a neighboring country in turmoil and pursued by enemies seething with dark magic.

367 wanted3 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,883,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible