Cradle to Grave by Aline Templeton

Cradle to Grave

by Aline Templeton

Afraid I was really bored stiff about 30% of the way into this tome. I have been a bit preoccupied in the last few days and I think my concentration was below par, but the number of characters and odd relationships was very confusing. I will need to try (much) harder. ( )
  JW1949 | Aug 31, 2016 |
I read this book as an electronic advance reading copy (e-ARC) provided by Edelweiss, and I have submitted my comments to the publisher via that web site.

Although the plot is convoluted, the police officer characters, especially the protagonist, Marjory Fleming, are believable and interesting. Recommended for public libraries with large mystery collections. ( )
  librarianarpita | Sep 15, 2014 |
This is my second Templeton novel. I enjoyed both of the books I read but I'm unlikely to read the complete Margery Fleming series, maybe not another Templeton book. "Cradle To Grave" occurs in a coastal area of Scotland just outside the fictitious town of Kirkluce. A body is discovered following a mudslide which severely damages 4 or 5 homes. Soon there is another body found on the grounds of a nearby estate, and not long after a third victim is found near a cheap apartment inhabited by a suspect in the first two cases. Then there's another unresolved murder case that goes back a few years and then....Well, you get the picture - we're not lacking for murder victims here. And there are a lot of suspects, and a lot of cops and a lot of theories of the crime. I've found Templeton's books to be very well written. Those readers who particularly like detailed murder mysteries with all kinds of clues and misdirection will particularly like C2G. But after a while I got tired of all the theories of the hour on who did what to whom and why, especially why. And the characters didn't really turn me on. I have no doubt that they are all true to life depictions of people that solve crimes in real life, warts and all, but they just wound up boring me especially for the last quarter of the book. This book was too reminiscent of an Agatha Christie story, and I'm not an AC fan. Towards the end I just wanted C2G to be over, quickly. ( )
1 vote maneekuhi | Jun 11, 2014 |
To the memory of Robbie Robertson: a good man
She had no idea how long she had been walking, though such light as there was had begun fading into an ominous twilight.

A young woman has been wrongly accused of murder - or is she devious and deadly? When a landslide crushes the cottage she has been living in, she becomes engulfed in events she struggles to understand, and DI Fleming herself is drawn into a nightmare of danger and death.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,655,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible