Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Unforgotten Coat by Frank Cottrell Boyce

The Unforgotten Coat (2011)

by Frank Cottrell Boyce

17319102,867 (3.91)9

pending ( )
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |
pending ( )
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |
Narrated by Sarah Coomes. Stick with the print version. There are photos and illustrations that the audio doesn't refer to and so the print experience is richer.

Julie is intrigued by two new boys in her school, brothers from Mongolia. Genghis announces that a demon is chasing his little brother and they are trying to throw the demon off track. As their designated “good guide,” Julie feels compelled to help protect the boys. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Julie becomes the "Good Guide" to two Mongolian brothers who suddenly show up in her sixth year class in Bootle, England. Tasked by Chingis, the eldest brother, to acclimate them to English culture, and more importantly schoolyard football, Julie gradually learns the truth behind their erractic behaviour and fear of "vanishing". A slim novel that explores the impact a single student can have on his entire class as well as a personal look at the effects of immigration law. ( )
  lillibrary | Jan 23, 2016 |
I did like this story for a few reasons. The first reason I liked this story was because I thought that the writing flowed at a steady pace. The story was constantly leading to a major event that I personally did not see coming. The climax of the story was completely unexpected, and added a lot of surprise to the story. Another thing that I liked about the story was that the language was very clear. The language was easy for the readers to understand, and this helped the story to flow well. Another aspect that helped the story to flow well was the suspenseful plot. Throughout the story the two boys were talking about a demon, and this was odd. I constantly wondered what they meant by a demon, because I did not know if the boys thought a spiritual demon was following them or something else. This was able to add a lot of suspense to the story. I was always wondering what would happen next with the boys, and if their “demon” was ever going to catch up with them. Then when readers found out what the actual demon was it was a very big surprise. This really helped engage me into the story, because I really didn’t know what was going to happen to the boys after they were deported. Another reason that I liked the story was because I thought that the reader pushed the readers to think about a different perspective. Readers had to think about what it would be like to start over in a new country, and how difficult that might be. Readers will also have to think about how scared the boys must have been, and what it would have been like to always wonder if today was they day they were going to be deported. Readers are then forced to think about what it would be like to just be deported one day from your home, and forced to go to a place you did not want to go. I know I have never been in this situation, so I found this a difficult thing to think about. The story is able to broaden readers’ perspectives about immigration, and the difficulties that go along with immigrating. A last thing I liked about the story was the illustrations that were placed throughout the story. Often in the story Polaroid pictures are described, and often in the story the pictures are also shown. I found this to be extremely helpful when understanding the story. The visuals helped the reader to understand what was being described, and this was able to really enhance the story. The illustrations were also able to break up the text, and engage the reader in the story by being able to visualize the story. I believe the overall big message of the story is that you cannot always run away from your problems. The boys were constantly trying to run away, but eventually their demon did catch up with them. It was a bitter end to the story, but it teaches readers that sometimes problems have to be overcome in difficult ways. ( )
  kmetca1 | Apr 12, 2015 |

When two Mongolian brothers inexplicably appear one morning in her sixth grade class, Julie, who lives in a town near Liverpool named Bootle, becomes their new friend and "Good Guide," navigating them through soccer, school uniforms, and British slang.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,493,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible