A Trick of the Light (Chief Inspector…

A Trick of the Light (Chief Inspector Gamache, Book 7) (edition 2012)

by Louise Penny

1,207796,630 (4.17)212
Member:Jim53
Title:A Trick of the Light (Chief Inspector Gamache, Book 7)
Authors:Louise Penny
Info:Minotaur Books (2012), Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, Canadian, 21st century, mystery, art, read 2013

A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny

The book begins on the evening of Clara's solo art show at a famous Museum in Montreal. After the show, some invited guests, including Chief Inspector Gamache and Jean Guy Beauvoir, go to Three Pines for a smaller celebration. A murder occurs sometime during the late night or early morning. The victim turns out to be someone Clara had been friends with many years ago. Louise Penny has a deft hand that captures the light and darkness of the human heart -neither better nor worse than who we all are. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this Chief Inspector Gamache book. This foray in to the art world, addiction, and the aftermath of traumatic events was informative and entertaining. Lillian Dyson was an interesting character. The author had me wondering who was lying and who was telling the truth and who had more to say. I kept wondering what else was hidden. In the end, all my questions were answered about the murder. Yet - in true Louise Penny fashion, there are unanswered questions at the end of the book - not about the murder, but about the Chief Inspector and especially Jean-Guy. ( )
  MelAnnC | Feb 28, 2016 |
This audio book comes in a 9-CD compilation, read by Ralph Cosham.

The plot is quite interesting and will keep you paying close attention till the end. Clara Morrow is an artist that has her own solo show at the MAC in Montreal. After the vernissage, there is a party at her house in Three Pines. In the morning following this party, a body is found on her garden. Chief Inspector Gamache and his number two in command start working on the case. they had being at the vernissage, as they were friends of Clara and other people from Three Pines where previously they solved a murder case. But in this Art World nothing is as it seems. The person who was murdered is identified as Lillian Dyson, an art critic and an old friend of Clara, before changing into a foe. Nobody is this art world seems to like her. But she vanished from scenes long ago to reapear eight months ago, back from NY into Montreal. Her "new life" is different and her art improved, but somehow now she is dead. Chief Inspector Gamache and his team have to figure out what happen while dealing with some internal issues due to a deadly attack on their team the year before.

Overall this is a masterpice composed by Mrs. Louise Penny, where each character is described in rich details and the voice that Ralph Cosham uses for each one is simply priceless. His narration is superb and contributes a lot to the success of this audiobook. Excellent murder mystery, a must have in the permanent library of any reader that enjoys this genre.

This audiobook was published by Macmillan Audio in august 2011 and Amazon.com was kind enough to provide this audiobook for me through their Vine Program for reviewing and I was not request to provide a positive review. Opinions expressed here are my own. ( )
  rmattos | Jan 23, 2016 |
I enjoyed the Inspector Gamache mystery as I have the others. However if this wasn't a series I would be very unsatisfied with the ending. Although the mystery was solved the personal trials of the main characters are in flux. ( )
  nljacobs | Jan 19, 2016 |
I love this continuing story of Inspectors Gamache and Beauvoir and the village of Three Pines. This particular episode revolves around the art world and AA, and is, as usual, full of poignant moments, poetic lines, and glimmers of hope.

I both listened to and read this novel. Ralph Cosham does a wonderful job as narrator, with the slight Quebecois accent I imagine Inspector Gamache to have. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
In her sly fashion, Penny has given us fair warning not to trust the antics of Three Pines’ eccentric residents and colorful visitors. Behind each volatile outburst of marital discord and professional envy lies some deeper truth involving the betrayal of trust and the need for atonement and forgiveness. With his sensitivity to the dark side of human nature, Gamache is not one to be distracted by the comical antics...
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Sep 16, 2011)

For Sharon, Margaret, Louise and all the wonderful women
who helped me find a quiet place in the bright sunshine
Oh, no, no, no, thought Clara Morrow as she walked toward the closed doors.

In the green depths of spring, morning breaks on a woman splayed in a bed of flowers - her eyes wide, her neck broken.

Her death is a mystery; so is the woman herself. But, as Chief Inspector Armand Gamache and his team peer into the dark corners of the victim's past, they expose a secret that rots at the very heart of their community - a secret that will implicate someone they've trusted for years. And as Gamache knows too well, in the flickering shadows of death, the truth may be just a trick of the light.

Investigating a murder at a solo artist's Quebec village home, Chief Inspector Gamache and his team encounter deceptive nuances in the art world that distort every clue they find with tales of duality and broken hearts.

161 wanted4 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,737,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible