A Trick of the Light (Chief Inspector…

A Trick of the Light (Chief Inspector Gamache, Book 7) (edition 2012)

by Louise Penny

Member:Jim53
Title:A Trick of the Light (Chief Inspector Gamache, Book 7)
Authors:Louise Penny
Info:Minotaur Books (2012), Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, Canadian, 21st century, mystery, art, read 2013

A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny

2011 (10) 2012 (9) AA (12) alcoholism (17) Armand Gamache (35) art (21) artists (20) audio (6) audiobook (11) Canada (53) Canadian (24) Chief Inspector Gamache (8) crime (11) crime fiction (8) ebook (17) fiction (76) Gamache (9) Kindle (13) Montreal (7) murder (24) murder mystery (7) mystery (192) police procedural (12) Quebec (60) read (11) read in 2011 (13) read in 2012 (9) series (21) Three Pines (40) to-read (16)

unknown
  Bruno_Estigarribia | Mar 31, 2014 |
I really love Louise Penny. The last two were remarkable. This one is great too. I love the depth she gives to characters. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Louise Penny is my favorite mystery writer. She combines good writing with wit and well developed characters. The actual murder provides of a vehicle to explore themes and develop characters, and is rather secondary to the story. I find her mysteries a refreshing change from all of the overwrought suspense/mysteries involving perverted sex crimes which seem to be so prevalent in this genre these days.

In each subsequent book we find out a little more about one of the core characters. In this one we find out more about Clara’s childhood and frienemy, Lillian Dyson, who is found dead in in Clara’s garden.

Inspector Gamache is on the case to unravel the intricate web of lies, past disappointments and future perceived insecurities. Gamache is a warm, smart, intuitive character (which doesn’t mean he is only one-dimensional-no mon amie, far from it) and I thoroughly enjoy spending time with him put all of the pieces together.

Penny creates such an inviting world in Three Pines. She makes me want to stop at the Bistro for a café au lait and a ham and brie croissant, then browse around Mryna’s bookstore and have a chat with her. It’s been a long time since I’ve liked a fictional town and the people so much. I do think it is funny that even the characters in the book have started to make comments about how many murders there have been in their otherwise sleepy town (5 so far) lately.

I just began listening to this series on audio this year and have been able to race through each book, having a hard time not listening to them back to back. Now, like everyone else I will have to wait for the next book in the series. I would absolutely recommend listening to this series on audio. Ralph Cosham is absolutely wonderful and the voice of Three Pines for me, like Judy Kaye is the voice of Kinsey Mihone in Sue Grafton’s alphabet series.
  trishrope | Feb 7, 2014 |
Not bad better than good considering that this was my first read of one of her books. It's a long slow steady read with the odd change of pace here and there, you know, just to keep you interested and of course guessing - because keeping you guessing seems to be her talent. I might read some more of her work but I won't rush just like her I'll keep it slow and steady. ( )
  nikon | Dec 27, 2013 |
“Facts were necessary. They pointed the way, and helped form the net. But the killer himself was tracked by following not only facts but feelings. The fetid emotions that had made a man into a murderer.” (Ch 1)

A Trick of the Light opens in Montreal’s elite art world where Clara Morrow’s solo show is featured at the Musée d’Art Contemporain. Her success is what every artist dreams of – the vernissage beyond anything she had imagined. Accordingly, she and her husband, Peter, extend the celebration to a garden party at their home in quaint Three Pines. But apparently not everyone has come to celebrate: the murdered body of art critic Lillian Dyson is discovered in their front garden. Enter Gamache and his team from the Sûreté du Québec.

It is discovered that the murder victim was well known in the art community, mostly for her scathing, destructive reviews – some of which destroyed careers and artists alike. Interestingly, a newcomer’s chip from Alcoholics Anonymous is also discovered at the scene: had Dyson lived something of a double life? “In one Lillian was sober and healthy, and in the other she was cruel, unchanged, unrepentant.” (Ch 18) The plot thickens when the Morrows reveal they knew Dyson very well; in fact, Clara had grown up with her. Is it possible Lillian had come to rain on her friend’s success? Or had she come to make amends for past behaviour? Or, had someone else, who knew of Clara’s connection with the victim, murdered her at the Morrows’ home, in hope of casting blame on Clara?

A Trick of the Light is highly recommended. In fact, I’ve decided I’d like to move to Three Pines! ( )
  lit_chick | Dec 12, 2013 |
In her sly fashion, Penny has given us fair warning not to trust the antics of Three Pines’ eccentric residents and colorful visitors. Behind each volatile outburst of marital discord and professional envy lies some deeper truth involving the betrayal of trust and the need for atonement and forgiveness. With his sensitivity to the dark side of human nature, Gamache is not one to be distracted by the comical antics...
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Sep 16, 2011)

For Sharon, Margaret, Louise and all the wonderful women
who helped me find a quiet place in the bright sunshine
Oh, no, no, no, thought Clara Morrow as she walked toward the closed doors.

In the green depths of spring, morning breaks on a woman splayed in a bed of flowers - her eyes wide, her neck broken.

Her death is a mystery; so is the woman herself. But, as Chief Inspector Armand Gamache and his team peer into the dark corners of the victim's past, they expose a secret that rots at the very heart of their community - a secret that will implicate someone they've trusted for years. And as Gamache knows too well, in the flickering shadows of death, the truth may be just a trick of the light.

Investigating a murder at a solo artist's Quebec village home, Chief Inspector Gamache and his team encounter deceptive nuances in the art world that distort every clue they find with tales of duality and broken hearts.

285 wanted4 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,569,678 books! | Top bar: Always visible