The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

The Last Unicorn (edition 2011)

by Peter S. Beagle, Peter Gillis, Renae DeLiz, Ray Dillon

Member:evilmoose
Title:The Last Unicorn
Authors:Peter S. Beagle
Other authors:Peter Gillis, Renae DeLiz, Ray Dillon
Info:Idea & Design Works Llc (2011), Edition: First Edition Thus, Hardcover, 152 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:read in 2012

The Last Unicorn: Graphic Novel by Peter S. Beagle

Definitely quite interesting but surely still not the book at all. For "The Last Unicorn" fans I suggest adding the book to your library for the artwork in some instances reflect that of the movie for at least the unicorn herself in her natural shape while the Red Bull and the humans are way better looking (although I think movie Amalthea was a lot prettier).

Due to it is done in comic book format there is a lot that is truly missing from the book while there is very little plot. The basic main parts of the book have somewhat been added so you won't be losing out on those.

And now what makes this book awesome is the artwork. The colors are bright and renewing in some scenes while in others it is deliciously dark so the emotional part of the story is kept. As earlier mentioned the humans within this book aren't as cartoonish while being more realistic as they should be. And I love the way they made the Red Bull look :)

Sadly I am not all too happy with all the artwork. The illustrators did a beautiful job on focusing on the eyes so as a result I was expecting to see little animals and green leaves in Amalthea's eyes when she was confronted by Haggard but they show just her plain eyes then later on you can see his reflection. Also there were a series of pages where they had character tips in the corners of the pages but in way too many of them the name covered up the actual artwork so you couldn't see them.

Again a wonderful addition if you are a fan while giving a much lighter and quick read if you are pressed for time. ( )
  flamingrosedrakon | Aug 26, 2015 |
I have to admit that I've only Finished the book two or three times and have seen the movie version so often that I have no memory of how well the book version translates into the movie, which is one of my favourites. So I was not so much worried about the book as I was about my memories of the movie, but it translates, as I suppose this book does into all possible media. The short passages of text seem well-chosen, although as I mentioned I don't remember the text well-enough to judge, but my gut says they are.

The artwork is stunningly beautiful and I could stare at some of those panels for hours. The one thing that bugged me was that Schmendrick and Molly have undergone a serious makeover and the way the human unicorn looks is scary because she is so thin. ( )
1 vote Mothwing | Jan 4, 2015 |
pretty!!! ( )
  sraedi | Aug 24, 2014 |
While I absolutely loved the artwork, I found both the plot and dialog of the book to be incredibly confusing. I am wondering if people who have read the book or seen the movie might be able to make better sense out of what is actually going on. ( )
  LouisVillains | Feb 7, 2014 |
A rather perfect and beautiful adaptation that I read in the Comics as they got released, once a month. It made me read the original book (by Peter S. Beagle) and see the movie, during 2010. ( )
1 vote classicmaiden | Jul 8, 2013 |
The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone.
This is a graphic novel adaptation of the novel, The Last Unicorn. While they share the same name and primary author, they should not be combined.

Presents a graphic novel adaptation of the famous novel, in which a unicorn, alone in an enchanted wood, discovers she might be the last of her kind and sets out on a journey to find others like her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,128,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible