The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

The Last Unicorn (edition 2011)

by Peter S. Beagle, Peter Gillis, Renae DeLiz, Ray Dillon

Member:evilmoose
Title:The Last Unicorn
Authors:Peter S. Beagle
Other authors:Peter Gillis, Renae DeLiz, Ray Dillon
Info:Idea & Design Works Llc (2011), Edition: First Edition Thus, Hardcover, 152 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:read in 2012

The Last Unicorn: Graphic Novel by Peter S. Beagle

2013 (3) adaptation (4) adventure (6) classics (2) comic (4) comics (11) ebook (5) fantasy (62) fiction (13) graphic (2) graphic novel (62) hardcover (3) HC (2) humor (2) library (3) magic (6) new (2) quest (2) read (2) read in 2011 (3) romance (3) sff (2) signed (11) teen (3) to-read (3) unicorns (31) unread (2) witches (2) wizards (6) YA (2)

While I absolutely loved the artwork, I found both the plot and dialog of the book to be incredibly confusing. I am wondering if people who have read the book or seen the movie might be able to make better sense out of what is actually going on. ( )
  LouisVillains | Feb 7, 2014 |
A rather perfect and beautiful adaptation that I read in the Comics as they got released, once a month. It made me read the original book (by Peter S. Beagle) and see the movie, during 2010. ( )
  classicmaiden | Jul 8, 2013 |
I thought the story was confusing. Perhaps i should read the novel next for clarity.

The art was beautiful. I loved the red bull!

A minor quibble: I did think the unicorn's head was too small. ( )
  leesalogic | May 10, 2013 |
As a child, I greatly adored horses and, even more, their mythological counterparts, pegasi and unicorns. It should come as no surprise then that one of my favorite movies as a child was The Last Unicorn. It is very much one of those kid's movies that you either watched as a child and will thus adore forever, but, if watched for the first time in adulthood, definitely comes off as incredibly creepy. I can totally see why others don't like it, but it will forever hold a dear place in my heart.

For the most part, this graphic novel version of the story covers the same ground as the film. The look of the characters very clearly was inspired by the film version as well. The small additions to the plot in some places, and the subtractions (like the tree that freaked people out the most in the movie), made me even more curious to read the original novel. That is definitely a thing I need to do someday.

The graphic novel is definitely pretty and oh so colorful. However, its brevity means that a few things have to be cut. Much of the trimming took place in the latter half of the tale, making it rather confusing and, did I not know the story, I likely would have been confused by much of the time spent in King Haggard's castle. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Apr 1, 2013 |
When I was a kid, there was a movie rental place across the street from my grandmother’s house. You went in the door, down a couple of steps, and turned left into the children’s area. There, under the picture window, on the second shelf from the top, was where the VHS of The Last Unicorn lived. I adored that movie, and I’m sure I contributed substantially to the demise of that poor videocassette. When I was a little older, I discovered the book, and I loved it even more. This is one of my favorite stories, all about myth and meaning and magic, so of course I was thrilled when they announced a graphic novel adaptation, and I am overjoyed to tell you that it is not disappointing.

The art, of course, is the real draw for a Last Unicorn comic book, and it’s spectacular. It does seem to be a little bit inspired by the movies – there’s a strong resemblance in the art for many characters, particularly the side characters who show up and then vanish again. Schmendrick looks much more like his description in the book than he does in the movie, which I like, but Molly looks younger, which I don’t. I do like the way the unicorn is inked in a reddish sepia rather than the black of everything else; it makes her stand out and glow (which I think is another trick they used in the movie, now I think of it). And then when the Red Bull arrives! The chapter two cover featuring Mommy Fortuna is my favorite, though. She’s always been one of my favorite characters, and the drawing of her with all these little charms and tiny figures tied in her hair is perfection.

The script owes much more to the book than to the movie. It features several more episodes from the book that I miss in the movie – Arachne the spider in Mommy Fortuna’s carnival, Schmendrick’s history, the princess attempting to summon a unicorn before her wedding, and most importantly, the village of Hagsgate. (I will never understand why they left Hagsgate out of the movie and put the bosomy tree in. Hagsgate has plot relevance, but that tree! — never mind.) Plot-wise, it’s a fairly loyal adaptation. There are places, though, where scenes are incredibly rushed, and I almost wish Gillis had left out some bits entirely rather than put them in and have them feel clumsy and extraneous. (Said tree, for example – not bosomy this time, but still unnecessary.)

While the movie will always have a fond place in my heart, and the book will always be the most spectacular, this incarnation of The Last Unicorn is a perfectly respectable edition. The art is always good, and sometimes breathtaking, and while there are flaws in the script it does seem to grasp the point of the book a little bit better than the movie does, and to bring some of the quality of heartache to it that the book does so well. If you’re a fan of The Last Unicorn already you’ll want to buy the hardcover for your collection (I know I will); if you’re unfamiliar with it, this is a wonderful place to start. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Mar 30, 2013 |
The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone.
This is a graphic novel adaptation of the novel, The Last Unicorn. While they share the same name and primary author, they should not be combined.

Presents a graphic novel adaptation of the famous novel, in which a unicorn, alone in an enchanted wood, discovers she might be the last of her kind and sets out on a journey to find others like her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,572,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible