Devil's Gate (The NUMA Files) by Clive…

Devil's Gate (The NUMA Files) (edition 2011)

by Clive Cussler (Author)

Series: A Kurt Austin Adventure (Book 9), NUMA Files (9)

A Japanese cargo ship cruises the eastern Atlantic near the Azores when it bursts into flames. A gang of pirates speeds to take advantage of the disaster when their boat explodes. What is happening in this part of the world? As Kurt Austin, Joe Zavala, and the rest of the NUMA Special Assignments Team rush to investigate, they find themselves drawn into the extraordinary ambitions of an African dictator, the creation of a weapon of almost mythical power, and an unimaginably audacious plan to extort the world's major nations. The penalty for refusal? The destruction of their greatest cities.… (more)
Member:KeenMizB
Title:Devil's Gate (The NUMA Files)
Authors:Clive Cussler (Author)
Info:G.P. Putnam's Sons (2011), 480 pages

Devil's Gate by Clive Cussler

Recently added byRockRobster, Arina40, Chiniak, private library

English (9)  Spanish (1)  All languages (10)
Cussler couldn't resist putting his heroes into a James Bond situation where the penultimate UBG over-thinks executing them, leading to an improbable escape that naturally dooms him in the end. The rest of the story is equally absurd, but fun...just like in Bond, a super villain crafts a weapon of inconceivable power that can wipe out entire cities.

I wish my library had more of this series on audiobook, I'd get them all. ( )
  JeffV | May 29, 2018 |
A ship sinks due to pirates and Kurt interviews. But this was no ordinary pirates since they sink the whole ship in such a short period. Normally they take the goods and run, but instead these methodically sink the ship as fast a possible. Then Kurt and Joe are in the middle of a underwater race when some sort of disturbance threatens to crash them into a large tower of rock, making a new discovery in the process. Yet, someone is watching Kurt's every move waiting for the right moment to strike. Someone Kurt has had previous dealings with long ago.

As usual the humor between Joe and Kurt is wonderful as is the other character interactions. I didn't like this particular story-line as much as other books I have read in the NUMA series. The ending felt too short. I can't put my finger on it, but it felt like something was missing. Regardless, I still enjoyed the book and it is a worthy addition to the "NUMA Files". ( )
  DonDeBon | Jan 7, 2018 |
The master is back, and I was well and truly hooked, reading the book in less than a week, which for me is very good going. Cussler always has his megalomaniacs planning the takeover of the world, but in this one he has two! In return this is not just a Kurt Austin NUMA files book, but it also features Dirk Pitt quite prominently. I don't know if the developments at CERN with the Large Hadron Collider could actually lead to the sort of weapon described in this story, but it certainly provides a really good story line. The book cracks along at a tremendous pace, with all the usual inventive action and rescue scenes that we have come to expect from Cussler. He does not stint on his strong characters with Kurt Austin being assisted not only by Joe Zavala, his constant sidekick, but also a young Russian scientist, Katerina Luskaya, who proves to be both resilient and resourceful, as well as husband and wife team Paul and Gamay Trout and their underwater robot Rapunzel. The villains are believable, although the amount of money that both they and NUMA seem to have available to spend beggars belief. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and look forward to further ones from the joint authors. ( )
  Alan1946 | Jun 25, 2016 |
"Devil's Gate" begins with the requisite prologue, set on the tarmac in Santa Maria, the Azores in 1951..a mysterious Russian passenger and his luggage are being spirited to the U.S. by an American pilot named Hudson. The passenger is shot before he can reboard the plane and is left for dead. Hudson is also hit and the "Connie" he's flying goes down in the Atlantic.

If you enjoy Cussler's regular fare you will find this an enjoyable if "reality-stretching" good vs. evil story. I love the Austin books so it gets 5 ***** ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
The extraordinary new novel in the #1 New York Times- bestselling series. A Japanese cargo ship cruises the eastern Atlantic near the Azores- when it bursts into flames. A gang of pirates speeds to take advantage of the disaster- when their boat explodes. What is happening in that part of the world? As Kurt Austin, Joe Zavala, and the rest of the NUMA(r) Special Assignments Team rush to investigate, they find themselves drawn into the extraordinary... ( )
  Tutter | Feb 26, 2015 |

Cussler, Cliveprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown, Grahammain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Hudson Wallace stood on the ramp just outside the terminal building on a cold, wet night.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0718156455, 0141047828

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,822,718 books! | Top bar: Always visible