How Shakespeare Changed Everything by…

How Shakespeare Changed Everything

by Stephen Marche

Nearly four hundred years after his death, Shakespeare permeates our everyday lives: from the words we speak to the teenage heartthrobs we worship to the political rhetoric spewed by the twenty-four-hour news cycle. Stephen Marche has cherry-picked the sweetest and most savory historical footnotes from Shakespeare's work and life to create this unique celebration of the greatest writer of all time.… (more)

Disappointing. Another for the pile of books whose intended audience escapes my understanding. There is not enough for this to be either an introductory Shakespeare text or an interesting addition to the literature. It seemed mostly like a desk-clearing exercise for Marche. Skip it and read [b:Shakespeare The World As Stage|135611|Shakespeare The World As Stage |Bill Bryson|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255868794s/135611.jpg|892448] instead. ( )
  Eoin | Jun 3, 2019 |
Some parts really interesting, some a bit over the top. ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
A good read, sometimes a reach. Othello leads to Obama? Shakespeare and Freudian sexuality? I needed to check the cover to see if I wasn't actually reading Howard "Shakespeare and the anatomy of influence" Bloom instead of Stephen Marche. The parts about Shakespeare's influence on language is great. ( )
  cookierooks | Nov 16, 2016 |
A thoroughly wonderful book! I knew that Shakespeare was absolutely everywhere in our culture, but I didn't know how thoroughly he had permeated it. For all Shakespeare lovers out there and for those who doubt the sheer power and influence of the Bard and his monumental works, "How Shakespeare Changed Everything" is the book to read. Read on MacDuff!
  ThothJ | Dec 4, 2015 |
  ThothJ | Dec 3, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,923,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible