Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu

Breadcrumbs (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Anne Ursu, Erin McGuire (Illustrator)

Member:Mollygrrrl
Title:Breadcrumbs
Authors:Anne Ursu
Other authors:Erin McGuire (Illustrator)
Info:Walden Pond Press (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:**

Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu (2011)

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Brave girls who love to read and stories that come to life; one parent close and another distant; a supernatural arch-enemy; and a daring rescue mission inform these highly descriptive and enthralling fantasies.
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Ruled by a white witch, a wintry forest - enchanted and treacherous -- doesn't deter a young girl from trying to save a spellbound friend. Filled with fairy tale elements, both of these affecting fantasies speak to universal longings.
    Crossing the Wire by Will Hobbs (jshonk)
    Red Glass by Laura Resau (jshonk)

Hazel and Jack have been best friends forever. When others didn’t understand or accept Hazel, Jack was always there for her. They just fit. That was until one day, without warning, when Jack seems to suddenly change over night.

Hazel’s mom tries to convince her that this is normal for kids their age. By fifth grade, boys and girls sometimes find that it’s hard to remain friends. Her mom encourages her to make a new friend, but Hazel knows that whatever is wrong with Jack, it isn’t that simple.

As it turns out, Jack’s heart has been frozen by a shard of magical glass and he has been taken into the woods by the White Witch. But is he being kept against his will, or is he there by choice? Hazel knows that she has to go after Jack.

I’m not sure what to think of Breadcrumbs. I have to say it wasn’t really a favorite of mine, but I seem to be in the minority. Most every review I read of this book was positive…even glowing. So if you like books that are part coming-of-age story, part fairy tale and part adventure, give Anne Ursu’s version of The Snow Queen a try and let me know what you think.
  MrsBarbarino | Jan 24, 2016 |
I was really disappointed with this book. When I picked it up I was expecting a modern retelling of "Hansel and Gretel," which I was looking forward to. Instead it was loosely based on "The Snow Queen" with references to a number of other Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales, as well as books by Pullman and Rowling. This wasn't a bad thing, just not what I was expecting.

What really annoyed me, however, was the heroine of the book, eleven year-old Hazel. In Part One, especially, I found her to be quite obnoxious. She was mopey, self-involved, obsessive and prone to too many fits of fantasy. To make matters worse, the plot was extremely sluggish in this part which made reading a burden. Part Two was a bit better, more excitement, but not enough to really keep me engaged. There were some beautifully written descriptions of the cold and snow throughout the book, but they didn't carry it, thus making it a real struggle to read. Aimed at middle and upper primary school students, I seriously doubt this book, with its 336 pages, will appeal to its intended audience. ( )

HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
‘There are things you do not notice until they are gone. Like the certainty that your body is a single whole, that there’s something keeping you from breaking into pieces and scattering with the winds.’

In this modern-day version of The Snow Queen, Hazel undergoes a journey in hopes of finding her best friend Jack after he disappeared when a mysterious piece of glass falls into his eye. Hazel has always felt like an outcast because she’s adopted and her parents recent split up causes her to have to attend a new school. The only upside of this new school is Jack, the only one that ever seems to truly understand Hazel and when he’s last seen walking into the woods with a woman dressed in white, his absence is palpable.

In The Snow Queen, there is a woman dressed in white that rides a sled which is clearly the inspiration behind Jadis, the White Witch from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. The cultural references don’t stop there though seeing as Hazel is such an avid reader and their stories have become etched into her mind. Hogwarts is referenced as well as The Wizard of Oz, The Golden Compass, A Wrinkle in Time, Coraline, Alice in Wonderland, The Phantom Tollbooth and more than likely a few others I didn’t catch. The first few were fun little additions but as they continued they really managed to divert my attention away from the magic of the actual story.

Hazel is still at the age where she views the world through the lens of her imagination, a time when life was much simpler. Narnia and Hogwarts are as real to her as anything else, unfortunately everyone around her seems to be growing up and leaving her alone within her imagination. Hazel was such a kind-hearted soul that had difficulty understanding how she could be so different and why that was necessarily such a bad thing. It’s impossible not to have the utmost sympathy for this poor girl. This self-exploratory adventure, that muddies the difference between fantasy and reality, in finding her inner strength to be happy and content with who she is was an adventure you felt you were personally undertaking right along with her. ( )
  bonniemarjorie | Mar 13, 2015 |

Anne Ursuprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McGuire, ErinIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McGuire, ErinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weise, CarlaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It snowed right before Jack stopped talking to Hazel, fluffy white flakes big enough to show their crystal architecture, like perfect geometric poems. It was the sort of snow that transforms the world around it into a different kind of place.
Hazel could not help put stop and stare at it- this, the biggest tree in the world. There was a flickering within the leaves, birds that made their universe inside the mammouth cloud of branches. She wondered if they even knew about the sky. p.174
Jack hesitated still, and Hazel wanted to say something comforting, to give him some bright plastic flowers of words, but Jack would see them for what they were. Jack knew how to see things. p.310

"Hazel and Jack are best friends until an accident with a magical mirror and a run-in with a villainous queen find Hazel on her own, entering an enchanted wood in the hopes of saving Jack's life " -- Provided by publisher.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,140,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible