Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu

Breadcrumbs (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Anne Ursu, Erin McGuire (Illustrator)

Member:Mollygrrrl
Title:Breadcrumbs
Authors:Anne Ursu
Other authors:Erin McGuire (Illustrator)
Info:Walden Pond Press (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:**

Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu (2011)

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Brave girls who love to read and stories that come to life; one parent close and another distant; a supernatural arch-enemy; and a daring rescue mission inform these highly descriptive and enthralling fantasies.
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Ruled by a white witch, a wintry forest - enchanted and treacherous -- doesn't deter a young girl from trying to save a spellbound friend. Filled with fairy tale elements, both of these affecting fantasies speak to universal longings.
    Crossing the Wire by Will Hobbs (jshonk)
    Red Glass by Laura Resau (jshonk)

This book was dark! I started it thinking I might recommend it to my soon-to-be 9 year old but had decided against it by the end. I was hoping for a good fairy tale fantasy adventure but instead got a disturbing and sad story that might would resonate with middle readers experiencing divorce and social isolation. When I finished the story I was sad and a bit angry.

I am not sure I would recommend this book. It's well written and could be interesting to a student well versed in children's fantasy classics such as The Chronicles of Narnia, Wrinkle in Time, Harry Potter, Comics and Grimm's Fairy Tales because the author makes allusions to those throughout the story. However, the resolution at the end seems too hard won. Hazel has gained the acceptance of some of the other kids at school and has rescued Jack but she has come home with a long scar on her face and has had to endure some pretty disturbing encounters. The implication is that she is a stronger, more self assured person but not because of a personal epiphany but because of some very difficult trials. ( )
  allisonreadsalot | Apr 16, 2016 |
The mixture of fantasy and reality in this book is intriguing and delightful. This would be a great recommendation for a student with a vivid imagination as they could identify with the main character. The author uses elements of Hans Christian Andersen's "The Snow Queen" to enrich the fantastical story. It would be a great exercise to read Hans Christian Andersen and compare the story to Breadcrumbs. ( )
  Tara.Haupt | Apr 14, 2016 |
An interesting idea, trying to modernize the Snow Queen. The author included some elements from other fairy tales to flesh out the story, which ended up making the story a bit darker than it needed to be. But again, this story really comes up short at the end. There is no true resolution. For a children's book there needs to be a decisive ending. It doesn't need to be a happy one, but there does need to be one. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
Hazel and Jack have been best friends forever. When others didn’t understand or accept Hazel, Jack was always there for her. They just fit. That was until one day, without warning, when Jack seems to suddenly change over night.

Hazel’s mom tries to convince her that this is normal for kids their age. By fifth grade, boys and girls sometimes find that it’s hard to remain friends. Her mom encourages her to make a new friend, but Hazel knows that whatever is wrong with Jack, it isn’t that simple.

As it turns out, Jack’s heart has been frozen by a shard of magical glass and he has been taken into the woods by the White Witch. But is he being kept against his will, or is he there by choice? Hazel knows that she has to go after Jack.

I’m not sure what to think of Breadcrumbs. I have to say it wasn’t really a favorite of mine, but I seem to be in the minority. Most every review I read of this book was positive…even glowing. So if you like books that are part coming-of-age story, part fairy tale and part adventure, give Anne Ursu’s version of The Snow Queen a try and let me know what you think.
  MrsBarbarino | Jan 24, 2016 |
I was really disappointed with this book. When I picked it up I was expecting a modern retelling of "Hansel and Gretel," which I was looking forward to. Instead it was loosely based on "The Snow Queen" with references to a number of other Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales, as well as books by Pullman and Rowling. This wasn't a bad thing, just not what I was expecting.

What really annoyed me, however, was the heroine of the book, eleven year-old Hazel. In Part One, especially, I found her to be quite obnoxious. She was mopey, self-involved, obsessive and prone to too many fits of fantasy. To make matters worse, the plot was extremely sluggish in this part which made reading a burden. Part Two was a bit better, more excitement, but not enough to really keep me engaged. There were some beautifully written descriptions of the cold and snow throughout the book, but they didn't carry it, thus making it a real struggle to read. Aimed at middle and upper primary school students, I seriously doubt this book, with its 336 pages, will appeal to its intended audience. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |

Anne Ursuprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McGuire, ErinIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McGuire, ErinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weise, CarlaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It snowed right before Jack stopped talking to Hazel, fluffy white flakes big enough to show their crystal architecture, like perfect geometric poems. It was the sort of snow that transforms the world around it into a different kind of place.
Hazel could not help put stop and stare at it- this, the biggest tree in the world. There was a flickering within the leaves, birds that made their universe inside the mammouth cloud of branches. She wondered if they even knew about the sky. p.174
Jack hesitated still, and Hazel wanted to say something comforting, to give him some bright plastic flowers of words, but Jack would see them for what they were. Jack knew how to see things. p.310

"Hazel and Jack are best friends until an accident with a magical mirror and a run-in with a villainous queen find Hazel on her own, entering an enchanted wood in the hopes of saving Jack's life " -- Provided by publisher.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,842,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible