Deadly Cool by Gemma Halliday

Deadly Cool (edition 2011)

by Gemma Halliday

Member:Bookswithbite
Title:Deadly Cool
Authors:Gemma Halliday
Info:HarperTeen (2011), Paperback, 320 pages

Deadly Cool by Gemma Halliday

Recently added byCynical_Ames, private library, ku., AaminahNisa, castillobooks

A murder mystery has never been so much fun. I know, "murder" and "fun" should never be used in the same sentence but what the hell.

Light-hearted and funny. A great way to pass the time. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
This book is hilarious! The main character, Hartley, is incredibly witty and I found myself laughing out loud many times throughout the book. Deadly Cool begins with Hartley learning that her boyfriend Josh is cheating on her with the president of the Chasity Club. When she goes to confront Josh at his home he isn't at home but unfortunately the lifeless body of the Chasity Club president is in his closet. Hartley's already bad day has been downgraded to horrible. Although, Hartley is understandably furious at Josh she agrees to help him find out who really killed Courtney. I loved the book and thought it was well written overall but could have been more suspenseful. When the big reveal happens it was kind of a let down and didn't seem as exciting as I would have thought. I did enjoy the rest of the book though and I'm looking forward to seeing how Chase and Hart's relationship unfolds. I will definitely be reading Social Suicide! ( )
  68papyrus | May 13, 2013 |
Hartley is a fantastic female sleuth. The mystery she tries to solve is unpredictable, very exciting, and suspenseful. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Apr 21, 2013 |
This was one of my favorite reads of the Cybils. So let’s talk about why:

First and foremost, this is what I like to call a pop culture tome. Basically, there’s texting, snarkiness and a touch of not-quite-real self awareness on the part of the main characters. To me, this isn’t a bad thing. I actually love it. But I know some people find it annoying. Fair warning there.

Hartley is a touch crazy, zany, smart and sassy. As I mentioned above, she’s also overly self-aware, which can seem a touch unbelievable at times.

The actual murder mystery is well done. I speculated on who the actual killer was at the very beginning, but ended up changing my mind by falling for a few red herrings. Hartley’s handling of the mystery was part Veronica Mars, part Scooby Doo and part lucky all rolled together. All things I approve of.

The biggest issue I had was WHY for the love of all that is good would Hartley want to even begin helping out a boyfriend who cheated on her. I mean, it’s one thing to believe he’s not guilty. It’s completely another to aid and abet. Come on.

All in all, I loved this campy romp. I read it in one sitting and laughed out loud numerous times. I’m very much looking forward to the sequel! I also am on hold to try one of Halliday’s adult novels, which appear to be in the same vein as Deadly Cool. ( )
  leftik | Apr 3, 2013 |
I don't understand why a girl would want to help the guy who cheated on her, but it was an interesting read. ( )
  socango | Apr 2, 2013 |
For my mom, whose tofu rice casserole is the most comforting food on the planet
There are three things you never want to find in your boyfriend's locker: a sweaty jock strap, a D minus on last week's history test, and an empty condom wrapper.

When sixteen-year-old Hartley Featherstone finds out that her boyfriend is cheating on her, she goes to his house to confront him and suddenly finds herself embroiled in a murder mystery.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,359,142 books! | Top bar: Always visible