The Alloy of Law: A Mistborn Novel by…

The Alloy of Law: A Mistborn Novel (edition 2012)

by Brandon Sanderson

Collections:Your library, Fantasy, Crime / Krim
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Fantasy, Crime, Mistborn

The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson

English (61)  Catalan (2)  All languages (63)
Another fun book set in the Mistborn world. ( )
  beertraveler | Feb 5, 2016 |
Oh. My. Gosh. This book is FANTASTIC! It's a full-on fantasy set in an 1800s style western genre. And it's amazingly well done. I love how Wax and Wayne play off each other in the story, and I love where the story goes. The gun fights with magic are just great. The characters are all so engaging, and the momentum is up and running from the first turn of the page. I am so looking forward to what the full Mistborn series does. ( )
  atoponce | Jan 29, 2016 |
This is a new, stand-alone Mistborn series novel, occurring several hundred years after the original trilogy. Unlike all of the others, this book has a more 'Western' feel. Technology has progressed to the point where guns are now common and when combined with the magic of the Mistborn, it creates some unique law keepers and lawbreakers both. Wax Ladrian is a lawkeeper who returns from the outlands to the big city to resume his role as Lord of his house. Unfortunately, the job of lawkeeper follows him as he gets involved in solving a series of robberies and kidnappings. Shootouts and detective work commence as Wax and his partner Wayne (really, Wax and Wayne??) try to solve the crimes and stay alive, especially when Wax's fiance is kidnapped. I really enjoyed this book, despite its obvious tropes and the super-hero like pairings of magical abilities, but it really was a fun read. ( )
  Karlstar | Jan 12, 2016 |
To say that I didn't put this down once after I started reading it would not be an exaggeration. Oh man, I don't even know where to begin.
Brandon Sanderson is easily my favourite author, easily. The Mistborn trilogy is my favourite trilogy of books. So, I was ecstatic when I heard that he was releasing another Mistborn book, even though it was set far into the future of Scadrial.
What made it even better? Steampunk. Brandon Sanderson wrote a steampunk Mistborn novel. If that's not the greatest thing ever, I don't know what is.
It's not necessary to have read Mistborn before reading this, but it would help. There are a lot of references to the past characters, especially as they've worked their ways into the religions of the world. I have a lot of feelings about that. Every time they referenced the Survivor or the Ascendant Warrior... I just... have a lot of feelings about those characters. So, I mean, it would help to know who they're talking about, but it's not necessary. There's enough description about how Allomancy and Feruchemy works to be able to follow this book. Though, it doesn't go as in depth, because it's really assuming that you kind of have at least a basic understanding of the magic system.
The characters in this book are the best. I adore Wax. He's a little bit like Kelsier (and I have a lot of Kelsier feelings...). He's a bit solemn, but put him next to his friend Wayne and he's pretty hilarious. He's a Twinborn, someone who can do both Allomancy and Feruchemy. In this case he can Push with steel and control weight with iron. It was really cool seeing how Sanderson used just a few of the elements, or combined them in certain ways to get different combinations. In Mistborn, we really only saw Mistborn, the few that could use all of the elements. In this book, there are no Mistborn, but we do see different Allomancers and people with unique combinations of Allomancy and Feruchemy.
The plot follows Wax as he leaves his rough life as a lawkeeper in the Roughs and begrudgingly goes to the city to take up his duties as the lord of his house. As you can guess, he only can keep his guns down for so long before a string of robberies and kidnappings catches his involvement.
Usually, i'm not one for guns blazing almost Western-type stories. This was amazing, though. I loved how Sanderson combined Allomancy with the guns. The different kinds of bullets, the different guns that they used, it was all ridiculously ingenious.
Wax and his best friend, Wayne make the most perfect pair ever. Wayne is definitely the comic relief in the book and he is hilarious. I've always been able to really appreciate Sanderson's methods of injecting humour into his books. A lot of times fantasy can get so dry and Sanderson's ability to have truly hilarious moments in his books is just fantastic. This particular book employs Wayne and Wax's relationship and they are truly hilarious together. I love them. Wayne's constant search for his lucky hat and the man who stole it was one of my favourite parts.
The book has a lot of similarities to the past Mistborn books, and one of those similarities are Wax and Marasi's relationship. It was not unlike Vin and Kelsier's relationship, and rather ran it's course in a similar way. I adored them together. I also adored Marasi. I've loved all of Sanderson's female characters thus far and Marasi is no exception. A younger character in the story, Marasi is technically a law student who has idolised Wax and Wayne ever since first hearing about their adventures in the Roughs.
Everything about this book was just spot on. The beautiful thing about it was that it just felt so real. Even though it was in a setting that was more Steampunk and realistic, it was still a fantasy. Even so, everything was so real and genuine and the story was just brilliant. The pacing was fantastic. Of course, everything built up to the famous 'Sanderson Avalanche' in which he just enjoys making everything look as hopeless as he possibly can. It was all so brilliant though.
It was also refreshing from some of the overdone steampunk books that are out right now. It had just enough elements to make it distinctly what it was, but it wasn't over the top.
It was just amazing and reminded me, once again, why Sanderson is my favourite author. It stands on it's own, true, but the ending hinted that there is plenty of room for Sanderson to add on to Wax and Wayne and Marasi's story. I really hope that he does, because I would love to have more stories about the Twinborn, gunslinging lawkeeper. ( )
  glitzandshadows | Oct 12, 2015 |
This was a weird book. Cowboy steampunk fantasy is the best description I can give it. It takes place about 300 years after the Mistborn series. Wax has been a sort of wild west type sheriff in the territories but comes back to the city to take the family title after the death of his uncle. He finds life in the city every bit as dangerous as that of the territories. He must use his skills to solve the mystery of a series of kidnappings and robberies. Not sure I will continue with this series as it progresses, but it was a pretty entertaining read. ( )
  nittnut | Feb 10, 2015 |
Highly recommended for fantasy fans, especially followers of the original trilogy. This fantasy is not a stale visit to a fondly remembered setting. Rather, it offers a fresh view of how a world can grow, building new dimensions into the best of the old. Sanderson continues to show that he is one of the best authors in the genre.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, William Baer (Oct 15, 2011)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Opgedragen aan Joshua Bilmes

die nooit bang is om mij te zeggen wat er aan een boek mankeert,
om vervolgens meer dan wie ook voor datzelfde boek door het vuur te gaan.
Wax crept along the ragged fence in a crouch, his boots scraping the dry ground.

Fresh from the success of The Way of Kings, Brandon Sanderson, best known for completing Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time®, takes a break to return to the world of the bestselling Mistborn series.

Three hundred years after the events of the Mistborn trilogy, Scadrial is now on the verge of modernity, with railroads to supplement the canals, electric lighting in the streets and the homes of the wealthy, and the first steel-framed skyscrapers racing for the clouds.

Kelsier, Vin, Elend, Sazed, Spook, and the rest are now part of history—or religion. Yet even as science and technology are reaching new heights, the old magics of Allomancy and Feruchemy continue to play a role in this reborn world. Out in the frontier lands known as the Roughs, they are crucial tools for the brave men and women attempting to establish order and justice.

One such is Waxillium Ladrian, a rare Twinborn, who can Push on metals with his Allomancy and use Feruchemy to become lighter or heavier at will. After twenty years in the Roughs, Wax has been forced by family tragedy to return to the metropolis of Elendel. Now he must reluctantly put away his guns and assume the duties and dignity incumbent upon the head of a noble house. Or so he thinks, until he learns the hard way that the mansions and elegant tree-lined streets of the city can be even more dangerous than the dusty plains of the Roughs.

"Three hundred years after the events of the Mistborn trilogy, Scadrial is on the verge of modernity, with railroads to supplement the canals, electric lighting in the streets and the homes of the wealthy, and the first steel-framed skyscrapers racing for the clouds. Kelsier, Vin, Elend, Sazed, Spook, and the rest are now part of history--or religion.Yet even as science and technology are reaching new heights, the old magics of Allomancy and Feruchemy continue to play a role in this reborn world. Out in thefrontier lands known as the Roughs, they are crucial tools for the brave men and women attempting to establish order and justice. One such is Waxillium Ladrian, a rare Twinborn who can Push on metals with hisAllomancy and use Feruchemy to become lighter or heavier at will. After twenty years in the Roughs, Wax has been forced by family tragedy to return to the metropolis of Elendel. Now he must reluctantly put away his guns and assume the duties and dignity incumbent upon the head of a noble house. Or so he thinks, until he learns the hard way that the mansions and elegant tree-lined streets of the city can be even more dangerous than the dusty plains of the Roughs. "--… (more)

251 wanted5 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,188,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible