The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson

The Alloy of Law (edition 2012)

by Brandon Sanderson

Member:reading_fox
Title:The Alloy of Law
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Gollancz (2012), Epub, 336 pages
Collections:Recommendations ONLY, Ebooks, Your library, Crime, thrillers and adventure, Fantasy
Rating:***1/2
Tags:!san, /wax01, fantasy, elemental magic, romance, crime, law and order, ebook, use, @2013, historical fantasy, western, physics, humour, sidekick

The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson

English (55)  Catalan (1)  All languages (56)
Loved, loved, loved this book so much that I'm mad that I read it. Brandon Sanderson returns to his Mistborn world 300 years after the end of the previous trilogy, and gives us characters and stories that demand more books. Too bad Brandon Sanderson is tied up with finishing Wheel of Time and his own "Epic Fantasy" series and who knows when we'll see another book in this series. I read an interview with him that said this was just written as an exercise to get his mind past some writer's block, but he liked it so much he submitted it for publishing.

See it for what it is, Mr. Sanderson. A sign of what you should really be writing!!! Not that you shouldn't honor your other commitments, but, could you hurry it along? Please? Here, I'll help you out. Send Nynaeve to live with the bad guy in Shaol Gul (what is his name? it's been too long for me (since I cared about WoT)) and they'll kill each other in days. End of story, back to the good stuff. ( )
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
I really enjoyed the original Mistborn trilogy, but updating the setting to a steampunk world is just plain fun. Wax is a delightful protagonist and while I did find the ending a bit heartbreaking, it was well motivated and I think I can live with it. Highly recommended. ( )
  Katya0133 | May 20, 2014 |
as some reviewers have noted, The Alloy of Law, lacked both in length and in descriptive world building, especially when compared to the original Mistborn series (something fantasy readers will surely reminisce.) On the other hand the book is still very well written and at times, witty. There isn't much room for character growth as the book is fairly short and the fact that events in the book happen in a matter of 2-3(I say three simply because one has to count the introduction scene as a separate day.) But don't write this book of because of it's short comings. The book is jammed packed of action scenes while avoiding being monotonous.

Initially the thought of moving the Mistborn timeline forward and setting it in a more western feel would be crazy but after reading a couple of chapters in i thought it was rather good...and different. In a way i thought the book was pretty much a mash up of Sherlock Holmes, tiny bit of a western gun-slinging cowboys, and the original magic system of Mistborn series. Like in the original, heists and thieving aspect of the story are still around. The only difference now is that the story is told through the authorities instead of the thieving crew.

I really like it a lot, even finishing the book in 2 days...can't wait to read more about what actually happens to these characters! :) Sanderson has definitely become one of my favorite authors! ( )
  seaofsorrow | May 20, 2014 |
Well developed late continuation of the original story where the magic laws are applied carefully to a more modern setting. Slightly predictable at the end, but overall very good. Kept me wanting more! ( )
  Guide2 | Apr 21, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

I loved Brandon Sanderson’s MISTBORN series, so I was excited to learn that he was publishing another novel set in the MISTBORN world. The Alloy of Law takes place a few hundred years after the events in the original trilogy. By this time, society is in the midst of an industrial revolution and is expanding into uncivilized frontier lands, making The Alloy of Law, I suppose, a Western Steampunk or Weird West tale.

A minority of citizens still inherit Allomancy or Feruchemy or, in the case of Twinborn Waxillium Ladrian, both. Even though Wax is heir to a rich noble house, he uses his powers to fight outlaws in the frontier lands... until he’s called back to run his family estates after his uncle’s death. Wax isn’t interested in being a stuffy nobleman, but hundreds of people rely on his family for their livelihood and he can’t let them down. It’s not long before Wax realizes, for better or worse, that life in the civilized city is even more dangerous than life on the wild frontier.

I’ve read all of Brandon Sanderson’s novels for adults and what I like best about his work are his imaginative magic systems (he’s the best!), charming characters, and pleasant sense of humor. I am happy to report that all of this is present in The Alloy of Law. Those of us who’ve read MISTBORN are already familiar with the magic system, so no surprises there, but the Western industrial setting adds a new twist — steam power and firearms let allomancers and feruchemists do really cool things with bullet casings and railroad tracks. Sanderson gives a nod and a wink to his influences by freshening up some Western clichés. In one scene, a group of armed outlaws bursts in on a high society dinner and demands that the ladies hand over their jewelry. There are pistol fights, train robberies, and even a shoot-out on top of a moving train! But The Alloy of Law is not just a Western with magic — it feels like a beginning to further fascinating explorations in the MISTBORN world. At its heart, it’s still epic fantasy.

Even though I don’t like his name, Wax is a great character — tough but sensitive, gentle but forceful when necessary, duty-bound with a touch of restrained idealism. I was disappointed with one of his actions at the end of the book, but I think that Sanderson wanted me to be disappointed and, for this reason, I think we’ll be seeing more of Wax in the future — there’s still time for him to make things right.

During his adventures in The Alloy of Law, Wax is accompanied by a funny sidekick named Wayne and a young female student who studies criminal behavior and thinks of Wax and Wayne as heroes. [Ouch. I just re-read that sentence and noticed the pun in “Wax and Wayne.” Oh my, that’s a groaner!] The three of them make a great team and I certainly hope there will be more adventures for the trio.

I listened to MacMillan Audio’s version of The Alloy of Law which was narrated by Michael Kramer. He is a terrific reader, though I find his pace a little slow. I got in the habit of speeding him up a bit when I was listening to him read the WHEEL OF TIME novels, and I did the same for The Alloy of Law. With this little adjustment (about 1.2x normal speed), I greatly enjoyed the audio version and will read any sequels, if there are any, in audio format, too. I recommend this version.

Must you read the previous MISTBORN books before reading The Alloy of Law? No. But it would be good to familiarize yourself with allomancy and feruchemy, which you can do well enough by reading our reviews above. But, why would you not want to read MISTBORN first? This is one of the best fantasy series in recent years — great characters and one of the best magic systems ever. So, while you don’t need to read the original trilogy first, you should! ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Highly recommended for fantasy fans, especially followers of the original trilogy. This fantasy is not a stale visit to a fondly remembered setting. Rather, it offers a fresh view of how a world can grow, building new dimensions into the best of the old. Sanderson continues to show that he is one of the best authors in the genre.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, William Baer (Oct 15, 2011)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wax crept along the ragged fence in a crouch, his boots scraping the dry ground.

Fresh from the success of The Way of Kings, Brandon Sanderson, best known for completing Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time®, takes a break to return to the world of the bestselling Mistborn series.

Three hundred years after the events of the Mistborn trilogy, Scadrial is now on the verge of modernity, with railroads to supplement the canals, electric lighting in the streets and the homes of the wealthy, and the first steel-framed skyscrapers racing for the clouds.

Kelsier, Vin, Elend, Sazed, Spook, and the rest are now part of history—or religion. Yet even as science and technology are reaching new heights, the old magics of Allomancy and Feruchemy continue to play a role in this reborn world. Out in the frontier lands known as the Roughs, they are crucial tools for the brave men and women attempting to establish order and justice.

One such is Waxillium Ladrian, a rare Twinborn, who can Push on metals with his Allomancy and use Feruchemy to become lighter or heavier at will. After twenty years in the Roughs, Wax has been forced by family tragedy to return to the metropolis of Elendel. Now he must reluctantly put away his guns and assume the duties and dignity incumbent upon the head of a noble house. Or so he thinks, until he learns the hard way that the mansions and elegant tree-lined streets of the city can be even more dangerous than the dusty plains of the Roughs.

"Three hundred years after the events of the Mistborn trilogy, Scadrial is on the verge of modernity, with railroads to supplement the canals, electric lighting in the streets and the homes of the wealthy, and the first steel-framed skyscrapers racing for the clouds. Kelsier, Vin, Elend, Sazed, Spook, and the rest are now part of history--or religion.Yet even as science and technology are reaching new heights, the old magics of Allomancy and Feruchemy continue to play a role in this reborn world. Out in thefrontier lands known as the Roughs, they are crucial tools for the brave men and women attempting to establish order and justice. One such is Waxillium Ladrian, a rare Twinborn who can Push on metals with hisAllomancy and use Feruchemy to become lighter or heavier at will. After twenty years in the Roughs, Wax has been forced by family tragedy to return to the metropolis of Elendel. Now he must reluctantly put away his guns and assume the duties and dignity incumbent upon the head of a noble house. Or so he thinks, until he learns the hard way that the mansions and elegant tree-lined streets of the city can be even more dangerous than the dusty plains of the Roughs. "--… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,150,497 books! | Top bar: Always visible