The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson

The Alloy of Law (edition 2012)

by Brandon Sanderson

Member:reading_fox
Title:The Alloy of Law
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Gollancz (2012), Epub, 336 pages
Collections:Recommendations ONLY, Ebooks, Your library, Crime, thrillers and adventure, Fantasy, Currently reading
Tags:!san, /wax01, fantasy, elemental magic, romance, crime, law and order, ebook, use, @2013, historical fantasy, western, physics, humour, sidekick, steampunk, @2016

The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson

English (65)  Catalan (2)  English (67)
I like this much more than the original trilogy. I wasn't expecting to, I usually don't like having to meet a whole new cast of characters, but I like them even more than I did the originals. The small nods to events and characters in the first trilogy were very well done, a nice touch for those that new the references without being distracting for those that didn't.

I was worried when the author delayed the rest of the series to do this unplanned book, but I'm glad he did. I'm even excited that there are going to be three more books in this time period before moving on. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
A Wild West/fantasy/steampunk/detective/adventure novel? Well, yeah. And it works. The story takes place on the same fictional world as Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy but a little over three centuries later. There are now railways and firearms and even some places with electricity. The protagonist is an aristocrat who went to enforce the law (such as it is) out in, well, mostly lawless regions outside civilization, but he returns to take over the family estate when he hears his father has died. He intends to no longer be a lawman, but situations arise that compel him to do so, with the (comic) assistance of his longtime sidekick. That's pretty much the setting and the start of the plot.

I found it an enjoyable story, for the most part. The characters are likeable and fun, the mystery the hero is trying to solve is complex enough not to be painfully obvious at first, and the magic system is familiar from earlier books. The protracted 'action' scenes and detailed rationalizations for the magic, however, are a overly drawn out at times. But all in all, it's quite entertaining. For the first 286 (of 325) pages, I was following the story quite happily, but then.... a moment of 'Harmony'. Someone not familiar with the metaphysics from the other Mistborn stories would have been completely lost, I think, but even then.... Divine intervention? Really? That's got to be about the lamest way to get a hero out of a tough plot corner that there is. I actually paused a moment when I got to this point and thought, "Oh, come on!"

Still, I found this a fun, light story. If you liked Sanderson's Mistborn books, you'll like this one too. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
Returning to the world of Mistborn centuries after the original trilogy and the world's technology has finally evolved. Trains, guns and booze, everything you'd expect from a good western but with what we love from the Mistborn world, Allomancy and Feruchemy. Waxillium Ladrian left his privileged home in the city out into the wilds to serve as a lawman. After a traumatic experience and the death of his uncle, he returns home to take care of the family estate and business. But after a series of train robberies, Wax picks up his guns again.

My favorite part of this series is how it ties back in to the original trilogy. The religions of this time are based around the characters and ideas from those novels. Things we learned about allomancy, feruchemy, hemalurgy, and kandra. This is the world we know but evolved. It is really interesting to see how Sanderson did that. ( )
  missmimsy | Jul 30, 2016 |
Snarky characters, investigation, steampunk and fantay with an original magic system? Yeah, all of my ballywicks and very enjoyable I found it.

It's been 300 years since the mistborn events and now allomancy and feruchemy have a role in the world. Out in the Roughs Waxilium Ladrian is a lawkeeper, has been for almost 20 years, now he has to return to Elendel to claim his inheritance and marry to save the family. He's determined to be part of society properly until there's a kidnapping, and his fiancée is involved and he rejoices in using skills to solve the crime.

It was a fun read, I really enjoyed the characters and the story. I know who Wax might have to marry, but I'm hoping for another. ( )
  wyvernfriend | May 23, 2016 |
Another fun book set in the Mistborn world. ( )
  beertraveler | Feb 5, 2016 |
Highly recommended for fantasy fans, especially followers of the original trilogy. This fantasy is not a stale visit to a fondly remembered setting. Rather, it offers a fresh view of how a world can grow, building new dimensions into the best of the old. Sanderson continues to show that he is one of the best authors in the genre.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, William Baer (Oct 15, 2011)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McSweeney, BenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stewart, IsaacIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Joshua Bilmes

Who is never afraid to tell me what is wrong with a book,
then fight for that same book no matter who else gives up on it.
Wax crept along the ragged fence in a crouch, his boots scraping the dry ground.

Fresh from the success of The Way of Kings, Brandon Sanderson, best known for completing Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time®, takes a break to return to the world of the bestselling Mistborn series.

Three hundred years after the events of the Mistborn trilogy, Scadrial is now on the verge of modernity, with railroads to supplement the canals, electric lighting in the streets and the homes of the wealthy, and the first steel-framed skyscrapers racing for the clouds.

Kelsier, Vin, Elend, Sazed, Spook, and the rest are now part of history—or religion. Yet even as science and technology are reaching new heights, the old magics of Allomancy and Feruchemy continue to play a role in this reborn world. Out in the frontier lands known as the Roughs, they are crucial tools for the brave men and women attempting to establish order and justice.

One such is Waxillium Ladrian, a rare Twinborn, who can Push on metals with his Allomancy and use Feruchemy to become lighter or heavier at will. After twenty years in the Roughs, Wax has been forced by family tragedy to return to the metropolis of Elendel. Now he must reluctantly put away his guns and assume the duties and dignity incumbent upon the head of a noble house. Or so he thinks, until he learns the hard way that the mansions and elegant tree-lined streets of the city can be even more dangerous than the dusty plains of the Roughs.

"Three hundred years after the events of the Mistborn trilogy, Scadrial is on the verge of modernity, with railroads to supplement the canals, electric lighting in the streets and the homes of the wealthy, and the first steel-framed skyscrapers racing for the clouds. Kelsier, Vin, Elend, Sazed, Spook, and the rest are now part of history--or religion.Yet even as science and technology are reaching new heights, the old magics of Allomancy and Feruchemy continue to play a role in this reborn world. Out in thefrontier lands known as the Roughs, they are crucial tools for the brave men and women attempting to establish order and justice. One such is Waxillium Ladrian, a rare Twinborn who can Push on metals with hisAllomancy and use Feruchemy to become lighter or heavier at will. After twenty years in the Roughs, Wax has been forced by family tragedy to return to the metropolis of Elendel. Now he must reluctantly put away his guns and assume the duties and dignity incumbent upon the head of a noble house. Or so he thinks, until he learns the hard way that the mansions and elegant tree-lined streets of the city can be even more dangerous than the dusty plains of the Roughs. "--… (more)

225 wanted5 pay4 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,623,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible