The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson

The Alloy of Law (edition 2012)

by Brandon Sanderson

Member:reading_fox
Title:The Alloy of Law
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Gollancz (2012), Epub, 336 pages
Collections:Recommendations ONLY, Ebooks, Your library, Crime, thrillers and adventure, Fantasy
Rating:***1/2
Tags:!san, /wax01, fantasy, elemental magic, romance, crime, law and order, ebook, use, @2013, historical fantasy, western, physics, humour, sidekick

The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson

English (58)  Catalan (2)  All languages (60)
Brandon Sanderson's books are always my favorites, and this one is excellent, too, although it would be best to read the first three books before this one. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
This was an entertaining story that's clearly building up the groundwork for more, but it failed to rise to the level of the previous books of the first trilogy of the Mistborn universe. I look forward to seeing what comes next. ( )
  tlockney | Sep 7, 2014 |
Enjoyed this a lot. I liked the relative shortness of it. The characters were fun although Wax is a seriously strange name even for fantasy! I'd say you have to read the original trilogy though to have any chance of making sense of the magic system. I hope there will be more of this series too as it was a good read. ( )
  infjsarah | Sep 6, 2014 |
Loved, loved, loved this book so much that I'm mad that I read it. Brandon Sanderson returns to his Mistborn world 300 years after the end of the previous trilogy, and gives us characters and stories that demand more books. Too bad Brandon Sanderson is tied up with finishing Wheel of Time and his own "Epic Fantasy" series and who knows when we'll see another book in this series. I read an interview with him that said this was just written as an exercise to get his mind past some writer's block, but he liked it so much he submitted it for publishing.

See it for what it is, Mr. Sanderson. A sign of what you should really be writing!!! Not that you shouldn't honor your other commitments, but, could you hurry it along? Please? Here, I'll help you out. Send Nynaeve to live with the bad guy in Shaol Gul (what is his name? it's been too long for me (since I cared about WoT)) and they'll kill each other in days. End of story, back to the good stuff. ( )
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
I really enjoyed the original Mistborn trilogy, but updating the setting to a steampunk world is just plain fun. Wax is a delightful protagonist and while I did find the ending a bit heartbreaking, it was well motivated and I think I can live with it. Highly recommended. ( )
  Katya0133 | May 20, 2014 |
Highly recommended for fantasy fans, especially followers of the original trilogy. This fantasy is not a stale visit to a fondly remembered setting. Rather, it offers a fresh view of how a world can grow, building new dimensions into the best of the old. Sanderson continues to show that he is one of the best authors in the genre.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, William Baer (Oct 15, 2011)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wax crept along the ragged fence in a crouch, his boots scraping the dry ground.

Fresh from the success of The Way of Kings, Brandon Sanderson, best known for completing Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time®, takes a break to return to the world of the bestselling Mistborn series.

Three hundred years after the events of the Mistborn trilogy, Scadrial is now on the verge of modernity, with railroads to supplement the canals, electric lighting in the streets and the homes of the wealthy, and the first steel-framed skyscrapers racing for the clouds.

Kelsier, Vin, Elend, Sazed, Spook, and the rest are now part of history—or religion. Yet even as science and technology are reaching new heights, the old magics of Allomancy and Feruchemy continue to play a role in this reborn world. Out in the frontier lands known as the Roughs, they are crucial tools for the brave men and women attempting to establish order and justice.

One such is Waxillium Ladrian, a rare Twinborn, who can Push on metals with his Allomancy and use Feruchemy to become lighter or heavier at will. After twenty years in the Roughs, Wax has been forced by family tragedy to return to the metropolis of Elendel. Now he must reluctantly put away his guns and assume the duties and dignity incumbent upon the head of a noble house. Or so he thinks, until he learns the hard way that the mansions and elegant tree-lined streets of the city can be even more dangerous than the dusty plains of the Roughs.

"Three hundred years after the events of the Mistborn trilogy, Scadrial is on the verge of modernity, with railroads to supplement the canals, electric lighting in the streets and the homes of the wealthy, and the first steel-framed skyscrapers racing for the clouds. Kelsier, Vin, Elend, Sazed, Spook, and the rest are now part of history--or religion.Yet even as science and technology are reaching new heights, the old magics of Allomancy and Feruchemy continue to play a role in this reborn world. Out in thefrontier lands known as the Roughs, they are crucial tools for the brave men and women attempting to establish order and justice. One such is Waxillium Ladrian, a rare Twinborn who can Push on metals with hisAllomancy and use Feruchemy to become lighter or heavier at will. After twenty years in the Roughs, Wax has been forced by family tragedy to return to the metropolis of Elendel. Now he must reluctantly put away his guns and assume the duties and dignity incumbent upon the head of a noble house. Or so he thinks, until he learns the hard way that the mansions and elegant tree-lined streets of the city can be even more dangerous than the dusty plains of the Roughs. "--… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,992,445 books! | Top bar: Always visible